Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Is anyone else following this? It's pretty scary. I feel like it's going to go global.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Aren’t they trying to contain it pretty well?
    Also..... hey!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. surviving

4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

They really are trying. Wuhan is totally shut down. I see footage and people just aren't there on the streets. There are some centralized places for food, but the mom and pops are shut down.

But it is already on the move.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PepperAnn

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

If it doesn’t take off here, although a few cases have been reported, we should be alright. I do feel sorry though for those Chinese people who are being infected, sickened and dying.
    It’s like Ebola in Africa. You pray like hell it stays in it’s country of origin and hope for the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Lindigo

Here's the data as of yesterday. Gives known infections and worst/best case scenarios.

Two labs working on new vaccines, An existing drug that fights HIV, also an RNA illness, may also work on the corona virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lindigo

heartbreaking

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Why is this in Debaters!?!?!? There is no controversy about this topic. We all agree that it is bad and we feel sorry for any victims. No debate. lol

But.... I hope no one gets caught up in all of the media hype and fear-mongering that our media is NOTORIOUS for doing.

According to the CDC, during the course of the 2019-2020 flu season, over 14,000 people have been hospitalized and over 8,200 people have died from the regular plain-Jane garden variety flu that we all know and love.

No one is panicking over those stats and THOSE STATS are far more severe than what is happening with the Coronavirus.

Not saying it isn't worse or couldn't get worse. I'm just extending a friendly reminder to not let our media add to your worries over this.

#9 Jama, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. surviving

The transmission rate for this quicker than the flu. Death rate is also higher. On same level as 1917 Spanish Flu. Roughly 3%.
    Main stream media isn't reporting nothing but what the Chinese is releasing

11. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

What does any of that have to do with the facts that I presented? I'll answer that for you.... nothing.

Also, your statement about the media is incorrect.

*EDIT* I will concede that I was obviously wrong about the location of this thread. I blame Surviving. lol

#11 Jama, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I woke up with the flu today. Not this flu, but it sucks just the same.

The truth is out there

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  13. Lindigo

Yes. The State of California has already lost more people to the H1N1 flu this season than the worldwide deaths from the new corona virus.

Shutting down and sealing in the entire population of Wuhan (while allowing a carefully monitored plane of diplomats to leave) is way more scary than annual flu, though....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lindigo

I really like this doctor's updates. In this one he is putting the numbers into context. Some people will have been exposed and not gotten sick at all, and that can't be tracked, for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PepperAnn

Ugh even regular flu sucks. Get well soon lovey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Last I heard there were only 5 cases in America. The media does create some hysteria with new viruses. Sometimes it's like the zombie apocalypse is breaking out. It should be put into context with the people who annually get the flu and pneumonia. Maybe it could go a little way toward prevention and early treatment of such things. Because we have tens of thousands of people that die of the flu and pneumonia each year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

There must be an echo in here or something. Not sure.

18. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I think we get all this media hype when a new strain of influenza breaks out. Obviously there would be no vaccine available to inoculate the population so I figure the thought is is this going to be the next Spanish Flu pandemic? That strain of influenza killed 50 million people world wide. Thankfully there’s never been a repeat of that so far.

19. surviving

It appears that this virus is definitely going global. And to put it into context the flu is established. The coronavirus is new and currently establishing it's self and well on the way.
    The flu has a morality rate of aproxamintely 0.5%. Coronavirus has a morality rate of 2.3%. 4.5 times that of flu. Given individuals who catch the coronavirus are contagious before they show symptoms it will be difficult to contain.
    The U.S. just confirmed it's first of person to person transmission.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-spreads-first-time-u-s-cdc-says-n1126566