Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/04/17/us/vaccine-hesitancy-politics.html

I hadn’t seen that. Everything I’ve seen shows lower vaccination rates among Republican states, counties, etc. not to mention Republican congresspersons actively questioning the effectiveness and safety of it. fox news straight out telling its viewers that its NOT safe or necessary.

“The disparity in vaccination rates has so far mainly broken down along political lines. The New York Times examined survey and vaccine administration data for nearly every U.S. county and found that both willingness to receive a vaccine and actual vaccination rates to date were lower, on average, in counties where a majority of residents voted to re-elect former President Donald J. Trump in 2020. The phenomenon has left some places with a shortage of supply and others with a glut.”

The two charts in there paint a pretty clear picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3681 DeadZedHead, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Truth hurts. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: A routine doctor's visit on a Sunday? One that was previously not part of her schedule but became public knowledge days after her exposure to the infected Texas Democrats?

Yeah, not so routine. LOL, I bet she's negative for covid as she's vaccinated, but still

4. Morgotha

I'd be more willing to believe that if the graphs were from today, however, your article is from April - 3 months ago. If you'll recall, the initial vaccine given was the Moderna one with a difficult set of storage requirements, and the initial doses were primarily given to big urban centers - which coincidentally are primarily Democratic. The more rural Republican counties overall didn't get the vaccine until much later as they had no way to store it. There definitely was a differential in coverage, but then again, the highest risk places who could store the vaccine were covered first (as one would expect). I doubt if there's a sinister explanation here, just a logistics one.

BTW, currently my county (a part of Trump country by the numbers) is vaccinated at 50-69%, the same as or better than most places in New York and Calif., for example.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view

5. Morgotha

So does a poke in the eye.

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Exactly. Thank you.

7. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Uh huh. Sure.

If you haven't seen that data, then explain why this study and numerous others are indicating that only 14% of black people feel comfortable with getting a COVID vaccine. Which means 86% DO NOT WANT THE VACCINE.

Then there's Latino people. Where do they stand in all of this? They're re in the low 30-percentile with vaccine confidence. That translates into a high-60 percentile of Latinos who have vaccine hesitancy. Wow!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/23/covid-vaccine-hesitancy/

Meanwhile.... Who typically votes overwhelmingly Democrat? Resides in overwhelmingly blue cities in blue states? Black voters do.... 9% of black people who were eligible to vote, voted for Trump.

Who also votes Democrat by quite large margins? Latinos do. Roughly 32% of Latinos voted for Trump. 2/3rds voted for Biden, a Democrat.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54972389

Do blacks and latinos offset or cancel out the total numbers of white people? Absolutely not. But still, there's enough numbers there to tell a much different story that's being told by your NYT article.

Which makes perfect sense to me given that The New York Times has forged a rather notorious track record for lying and misleading their subscriber base with a substantial level of disinformation in recent years. Here's two links about that. I'd link more but no one's going to read all that. lol

https://nypost.com/2021/05/08/how-the-new-york-times-publishes-lies-to-serve-a-biased-narrative/

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...s-about-the-white-houses-response-to-covid-19

8. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Our hospital is full again with covid patients in our town. And they have made it so you can’t visit again.

The truth is out there

9. Sharpie61

Sean Hannity and Mitch McConnell are now telling people to get vaccinated.
    Hopefully, people will listen.

The truth is out there

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Biffster

Too little too late, methinks.

11. Sharpie61

It all had to do with the Dow dropping

The truth is out there

12. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

LOL. I don’t know about you but if I had a job which put me in close proximity with a variety of people, not in my immediate circle, it would become a “routine” to visit my physician every time I discovered some of them had tested positive for COVID. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Biffster

Very proud of my province today. Fortunately the anti-vaxxers are in the minority and we may actually achieve something close to herd immunity if we can get 75% of the population fully vaxxed. Fingers crossed.

https://www.660citynews.com/2021/0...0pRQqwWOZ-gsN3Akx2E6rTly3f-c7Ac4GbEkSJ2x07ycc

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Morgotha

The Delta variant is causing Australia to lock down again, and people aren't happy about it. My take is: tough beans, unhappy people. Australia overall has had less than 1000 total covid deaths. That's pretty good. It would be nice if overall they could get more people vaccinated, but they are doing something right, judging by the small number of infections and deaths.

"
    Anger is growing in Australia as 13 million people - about half the population - endure fresh lockdowns to quash Covid outbreaks.

A third state went into lockdown on Tuesday. Stay-at-home orders are now in place in South Australia, Victoria and parts of New South Wales.

Many people have expressed frustration at being back in highly policed lockdowns 18 months into the pandemic."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57911032

15. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Well that depends... Are the lockdowns also applying to those who've been vaccinated already?

How many vaccinated people have come down with the Delta strain? (My guess: A small number) How many of them have gone to the hospital? (My guess is an even smaller number) How many of them have died? (My guess is zero, or a very, very tiny number)

I wish I could find the report, but I just read something the other day that indicates that the Delta variant mainly affecting those who've not been vaccinated. This should not be "breaking news" for anyone.

Maybe that in it of itself could make the case for more people getting the vaccine. Don't punish those who've been vaccinated with more lockdowns.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Morgotha

They say only 14% of Australians are vaccinated, so until they get that number up it's safe to say that pretty much everyone is at risk. Unless the Australian population is overwhelmingly anti-vax, I'd frame it as "don't risk infection of people who haven't had access to the vaccine for the convenience of those that have".

Big picture-wise, if this was just a flu get-it-or-don't type of thing, I wouldn't mind just opening the doors and letting the chips fall where they may, but it really does seem that a LOT of people really don't get over the infection, having what seems to be long-term side effects to their heart or lungs, nervous system from the brain on down, etc. What worries me is that we really don't know what the true long-term toll of getting sick with this will be, so I'm not going to go against societal prudence in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Why is that number so low over there? Is it a distribution issue, or an anti-vaxx issue, or are they not taking this seriously enough?

I used to think it was all about the death rate, and that people freaking out, mass hysteria, etc. over a very small chance of dying (generally speaking) wasn't worth all of the trouble/worry. But these long-term side effects are pretty nasty. People should at least consider getting the vaccine on that basis alone.

Mumps also had a low case fatality rate, but the side effects were brutal. Enough to warrant creating a vaccine for it. I don't recall a bunch of controversy about that vaccine. Seeing people who suffered from it, was enough to make the case for the vaccine. Maybe the same thing will need to happen in this case as well. I wish that weren't the case though.

On the other hand, there's been some studies that have come out about how the vaccines themselves are ALSO causing health issues for younger people. Where do you weigh in on that? Is that really a thing, or are those cases statistical outliers?

18. Biffster

When the virus first appeared, Australia locked down hard. They closed their borders and actually did a very good job in nearly eradicating CoVid-19. As a result, there didn’t seem to be a pressing need for vaccinations—until the delta variant showed up. Now they’re locking down hard again but it won’t be enough. Hell, vaccinations may not even be enough, but they’re the best the world has at this point. We shall see.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

A study in Israel said that the effectiveness of the vaccines dropped from 95% to 64% against the Delta variant. For the most part we're still protected against serious illness, but who knows what long term Covid will bring. The underlying concern though for me is allowing this to continue to mutate. If we're already dropping 30% effectiveness in 6 months, where will be with future variants at the end of the year?

Pfizer is fortunately working on a booster shot. We will definitely be needing it.

20. Biffster

You’re not kidding. There is so much that we don’t know about this virus yet. It’s the gift that keeps on giving, and not in a good way. Viruses don’t like to be eradicated and they’ll do whatever they have to do to survive, including mutate. One of the reasons this virus has done so well is because it isn’t as deadly as a number of others like smallpox. That allows it to spread farther. There’s a good three part documentary on Netflix called Coronavirus Explained, the first part narrated by JK Simmons. I recommend it to everyone. We are not out of the woods yet.

• Like Like x 1