Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Good news for the Pfizer vaccine:

"Two doses of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine are 88 percent effective against the delta variant, according to a new study.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday from researchers at Public Health England, offers reassurance about the effectiveness of the vaccines against the delta variant.

The 88 percent effectiveness against the delta variant was only modestly lower than the 93.7 percent effectiveness against the alpha variant, which was first identified in the United Kingdom."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...e-against-delta-variant/ar-AAMro79?li=BBnb7Kz

2. DeadZedHead

DeadZedHead Well-Known Member

https://apple.news/AjbSmpdp7SQuZyJmM9P6LFw

3 states driving 40 percent of new cases. Texas, Florida and Missouri.

You’re right. People of color do have a trust issue. Always have. But half of blacks and 65% of Latinos were willing to get the vaccination, which makes it more of a logistical issue. Making it convenient to get the shot is just as big a priority as convincing the hesitant. Republicans lifting mandates and going on air to say republicans aren’t getting vaccinated because Democrats wont support their agenda on immigration or other non related issues. Democrats are trying to convince their constituents to get the shot. Republicans are blaming Democrats for them not convincing THEIR constituents to get the shot. Turn on left media for a couple hours and then turn to right media for a couple hours and it is very apparent who is trying to increase vaccinations and who is trying to impede it. That hasn’t changed much over the past year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Morgotha

You can get a covid vaccination in any Walmart or Walgreens drugstore, so any urban resident has access to the vaccine at this point. If someone is NOT getting vaccinated at this point, it's THEIR fault, not the Republicans' fault, not the Democrats' fault.

4. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

In Florida, Publix grocery pharmacy is also giving the vaccine. It’s where I got mine.
    You don’t even have to make an appointment.

There is no logical excuse to not get it. UNLESS, you are like my sister, who is allergic to iodine.

The truth is out there

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

That’s why herd immunity is so important. If enough of the population gets immunized, we can protect those who are unable to get the vaccine due to health issues. I can’t believe how selfish many people are being by not getting their shots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Exactly. As I've said before this pandemic has been very revealing. I'm disgusted with just about everyone at this point.

7. DeadZedHead

Agreed that it is available. Vaccine hesitancy is a major problem. Republicans drove vaccine and covid misinformation for over a YEAR. trump wants everyone to praise him for a vaccine he specifically told people they didn’t need, for a virus he said was no worse than a flu, and lied about getting himself. He PLATFORMED on covid not being serious. Economy is more important than safety. The right for Republicans to choose whether they FELT like following guidelines is more important than safety. He made it a point of contention and his followers refused to follow basic hygiene and common sense BECAUSE they weren’t going to let liberals tell them what to do. Biden has a huge hurtle to overcome convincing both historicity hesitant that ANY President would trouble convincing and what would be sensible people who are being belligerent because their President and elected officials TOLD then to be.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Stealth

Masks are kind of, sort of back in....but it makes about as much sense as the old color coded terrorist alert system they once had at Homeland Security. They should've just said everyone mask indoors, but they had to go with if you're in "areas of high transmission rates."

Yes, let's all consult our tranmission rate maps. It's better than nothing though and it has spurred some places to reinstitute indoor mask guidelines, but it did not go far enough.

9. Morgotha

The main thing is for you and your family to wear masks indoors, social distance, etc. You can't protect other people from themselves, but you CAN protect your own family.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeadZedHead

I think the idea is that those decisions can be made locally since many communities were ignoring blanket mandates anyway. Mo’s right. All you can do is protect you and yours. I never stopped wearing a mask even when people smirk or scoff at me. Its inconvenient but i think worth my family’s health.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Stealth

I agree that it's everyone for themselves and you have to protect yourself and those around you. I've never stopped wearing a mask indoors either.

What frustrates me is that a condition is being created for the virus to mutate so easily and future variants might be better equipped to get around our vaccines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Morgotha

The trouble for me is the sheer number of people infected, as each infected person is making billions of copies of the virus the chance of having a mutation occurring in *someone* is very high. Of course the chance that that mutation will make a significant difference is very low, but if we don't control the amount of infected people sooner or later a bad one will develop.

13. DeadZedHead

14. Stealth

We had over 92,000 cases yesterday which is the most since February, which was the downside of the winter peak. Now the CDC is also saying that the Delta variant is more transmissable than the common cold and smallpox. Great. We had other countries to study this from before it hit here. So they knew. Yet they wait for us to get slammed to reveal this info.

I'm not letting the anti-vaxxers off the hook here, but the communication we've seen on Covid from the beginning is terrible. Biden was very good during the campaign and early days of his administration, but they wanted to get the economy rolling so public health took a backseat.

Mask wearing became politicized so they figured the vax rates might save us with the next wave. They figured wrong. There should've been a public campaign from the start of his administration about how we wear masks to protect kids, the immune compromised etc. Sure there would've been pushback etc, but it should've been seen as a new norm until we get past the variants. Keep things open but mask indoors.

Too late now, but frustrating that we're going to be dealing with this mess into the winter again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Morgotha

One of the things that seems obvious in hindsight is how light of a flu season we had. The "experts" were saying we were going to have a perfect storm situation, but it never materialized. It turns out that mask wearing, social distancing, handwashing, everything being closed, etc., kept people apart and decreased flu transmission. I wonder what will happen this year in this regard.

16. DeadZedHead

They HAVE been saying this since Delta was first discovered. A large portion of Americans didn’t and still dont take it seriously because trump specifically told his constituents DON’T LISTEN TO THE EXPERTS. The information was never hidden. Most of the media has been reporting on variants and their implications. Republicans have been telling their constituents that following guidelines is an anti American liberal attack on their freedom. If you feel misled and uninformed. Please, blame your news source.

P.S. since you might not be hearing it from your news source, requiring all adults to go back to masking is because they found breakthough, asymptomatic Delta infections in vaccinated adults had 1,000 times more virus in their nasal cavity than the Alpha variant in unvaccinated infections.

#3716 DeadZedHead, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Morgotha

Meghan McCain on coronavirus and priorities:

"
    "I wish there was a little bit of energy coming from Democrats, particularly in Washington, D.C. where I’m at right now, [on] the violence going on and the homicide rate because, quite frankly, I have a higher likelihood of getting shot leaving this building than I do of getting COVID," McCain continued. "From July 14-28 there were four COVID deaths and 11 homicides in Washington, D.C."

McCain said there are "a lot of problems and a lot of ways to die," but the left only cares about coronavirus while downplaying crime.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/the-view-meghan-mccain-shot-covid

18. Sharpie61

I would love to blame Trump for people deciding not getting vaxxed, or following the guidelines, but there were Americans who acted the same during the 1918 Spanish flu epidemic.
    The only difference, those who didn’t follow the mask mandate back then, were arrested in certain cities.

https://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/w...snt-new-1918-many-americans-were-slackers?amp

Humans just don’t want to be inconvenienced. Even if it’s a life saving measure.

The truth is out there

19. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Looks like there's nothing new under the sun when it comes to people but it sure couldn't have hurt if both Democrats and Republicans, the out going and the incoming President had been preaching the same message from the start. We wouldn't have 100% compliance but maybe we would have reached herd immunity, at least, by now in this country.

20. Sharpie61