Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by surviving, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lindigo

I LOVE the house, but I'm not crazy about the interior design. For example, in the master bathroom with that black and white tile, I would like soft matte black metal fixtures, not the gold from the eighties.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I think it's called brass.

Wait.... How did Coronavirus become Better Homes and Gardens again?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lindigo

Because mosquitoes are vectors of disease and misery and they live in the marsh behind the 2020 Dream Home. You have to squint to see it. lol

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Lindigo

Here's another house I'm currently trying to win. It's small and depressing, but you could win it for a St Jude $100 raffle ticket. I bought a ticket because I'm already acclimated to small and depressing and at least the appliances and roof would all be brand new in this house. :)

(Jama, the connection to coronavirus is that you can't breathe in Bakersfield, either. They can both kill you. Bakersfield just takes longer.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.stjude.org/give/dream-home/bakersfield.html

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lindigo

Well, this is terribly sad. The doctor who tried to contain the virus has died, and China even wanted to deny that. Images of fever wards are horrifying,

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

All you'll need to do is install an air filtration system in the garage. lol

9. PepperAnn

Thread Nazi. LMAO

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. PepperAnn

I mentioned that above. LOL

I swear you people don't read. :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. tink

tink Well-Known Member

That's a weird layout. The garage door into the home opens to the linen closet in the hallway by the bedrooms? WTF?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? This is a great floor plan especially if you’re older and downsizing. One floor living is ideal and you have a third bedroom which could be turned into an office, media room, or whatever. The only thing I would need is to put it over a full basement. Less house to take care of and more time to get out and do things. Obviously you’re not into the tiny house craze, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. purriwinkle

The plan shows that you enter the house via a hallway between the linen closet and the laundry area. I think that’s supposed to make space for a tiny mud room before entering the house proper to kick off your shoes and hang your coats. Of course the main entrance would be mainly for guests.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Oh really? So asking an honest question = me rounding y'all up and tossing you in a gas chamber????

Fair enough. ;-)

#74 Jama, Feb 7, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Ok fine.... I'm going to temporarily pump the breaks on my quest to purify the threads and conquer the forum, and allow myself to get sucked into this side discussion. This house plan business you're all talking about is of great interest to me. Designing house plans was my very first job out of college.

This is a pretty common and modern layout for a smaller one-level home. There's thing about it that I really like, like the master suite being segregated from the other bedrooms. There's also things that I hate about it, like the fact that the entry to the master bedroom is right off of the great room.

A family would most likely have their TV on that adjacent wall and if hubby or wife wanted to go to bed early and people were still up, that could be a potential annoyance.

A few other things....

Tiny laundry room (I hate it)
    Open kitchen and big great room (I like)
    Not the worst layout. Not the best either. I give it a solid B

• Like Like x 3
  16. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I don't like having bedrooms right off the front door for people to look in as they walk by. I'd rather have an entry hall go past the kitchen and great room, for example.

I do like the MBR being separated from the kids' rooms, but like Jama said, it's too close to the social room. A bit of a hall/noise barrier would be nice.

I would also like a *window* in my laundry room!!! and it's barely the width of a washer and dryer, talk about claustrophobic! Where are you supposed to fold your clothes? Make it bigger with a table/counter in there and it'd be a lot better. You know, rather than having the recessed front door, if you moved the front door and wall to the level of the garage you might be able to move the laundry, etc. forward and have enough new room to be able to squeeze in a small 1/2 bath that faced the great room and kitchen so guests could use the restroom without having to go in to your kids' bathroom.

I'd want to rearrange the master bath as well, the closet for the stool and the shower both seem tiny as well. Do something better with them!

Also, if you DID move the front entry wall forward you could have the two bedrooms' doors open directly on to the hall and get rid of access to the jack and jill bathroom from the hall. Removing that short common hallway and adding the room on to the bathroom would give you enough extra room in the bath to put in a linen closet so you wouldn't have to walk in to the "mud room" to get a towel every time!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. purriwinkle

I agree with a lot of what you said. I think you have to take into consideration who’s going to live there. I could make this work, even though I actually hate the all open kitchen to the dining room/ great room which runs contrary to modern design. I love my dining room, what can I say...lol

If you have an empty nest couple, no problem with having a TV in the great room but that’s why I would want a full finished basement. Keep the bedroom closest to the entry for your guests. In the basement you can have another guest bed room or two for the grandkids with say a 3/4 bath and a nice area for a big screen TV with sitting area, foosball table, air hockey or pool table so they can stay up later if they want and not bother granny and grandpa. When you’re by yourselves, you don’t have to go downstairs if you don’t want.

Small laundry but again if there’s cupboards above the washer/dryer and maybe a fold down ironing board, it could work for two people.

How interesting that you designed house plans. I’m sure you’d have a lot of great ideas.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I really agree about the "who's going to live there" idea! If we're talking about a couple of empty nesters who don't entertain much if at all, it's probably fine as is. They could turn the first "bedroom" into an office and have the second made up for guests, and everything else is on the same level so there aren't any stairs to worry about.

I'd also like a basement, but in some areas they just don't make them.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Now I'm completely sucked into this. THANKS MO! lol

I've made some alterations to the entry area to make that better. The area to the right of the entry door is wasted space. So move the entry door to the left.

Then move the garage entry down to that "wasted space" area.

Then have the linen closet door be a pocket door and place on the opposite wall (to avoid 3 warring doors in the entry)

That eliminates the little access hall to the garage (more wasted space) and you can expand the laundry room so it's not so claustrophobic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. purriwinkle

I’d be lost without a basement. If I was having this built for me they’d have to dig one. I actually think there’s enough room with this plan to have your friends in without everyone tripping over each other. If the entry to the basement is in the corner of the great room next to the MBC and again, if everything is finished and open, a big family gathering could spill downstairs with the younger generations probably gravitating to the lower level.

• Like Like x 2