Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Counterpart to Morgan - Deanna worst leader.

Discussion in 'Episode 604 - Here's Not Here' started by Ionut, Nov 5, 2015.

1. VickGrimes

VickGrimes Well-Known Member

XOXO x infinity

[​IMG]

2. Berry

Berry Member

Maybe we're too close to the situation. An outsider's perspective might help.

Say there is a little island with a little tribe of people and a tribe leader. Everyone is happy all the time. Occasionally fishing vessels will leave the island to go fishing and visiting other nearby islands.

One day the fishing boat captain sees another vessel out on the water. There is a small group of people on the other vessel, those people are hungry, and dirty, and have obviously been through a rough time. The captain invites them to his island.

The new group sees the tribe leader, and proceeds to tell him a story. "There is a war going on a few days' journey from here, and those people are out to destroy and take over any island they find. You need to put up guards and start getting your people ready."

Would a good tribe leader listen to the strange group, or disregard their warnings since there had never been war on his island?

The tribal leader may have been a fine leader before the new information came his way. What he does with the new information determines whether he's still being a good leader.

A leader's job is to know and understand what is going on inside and outside his community. All circumstances that may affect his people are his business. It's a leader's job to gather information from as many sources as possible to decide courses of action.

Deanna had a group of people that had "been out there", and were trying to give her information. She essentially put her fingers in her ears and started saying "lalala" instead of listening.

But, like most of our characters, we are seeing her start to change. After Reg died, she began allowing people to carry guns. She had more people on the walls, watching.

It will be interesting to see if she can come to terms with the "real" world, or if it breaks her.

I personally hope she can come through this, stronger than before, and can reclaim leadership, or at least something like the committee Rick had at the prison. Rick had a mental break after Lori died, we're probably seeing something similar with Deanna. (Course, we haven't seen her hallucinate, so +1 Deanna!)

Maybe the real answer, is Deanna is sometimes showing good leadership skills, and sometimes not. Depending on which days we're focusing on, two opposing answers may be equally accurate.

3. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

It's not a bad analogy. I'd change a couple things. The new leader comes in and tells them of the hell that they've been through, but that hell is over 600 miles away. As far as the current leader's scouts (Aaron & BF) and scavengers have seen, there's no danger in the immediate area for quite a long time now. Also, the new group has a priest who comes in and says these people are evil.

4. mfinley

mfinley Member

The only reason anyone can look at Alexandria's walls and security methods and say "uh, oh...that's not going to work...." is because you've been watching the show and seen the previous "Alexandria" where Noah returned to and discovered it was over run, everyone killed... you've seen the episodes with the hoards of walkers storming the prison fences...

Deanna hasn't had the luxury of tuning in every Sunday night to see what we've seen, what's been going on far outside her walls and their area to understand the threat beyond what they personally have experienced, which is since the ZA started, just random walkers appear at their large, stable, tall walls where they bounce off them a bit and the people of Alexandria can dispatch them at their leisure.

Good leaders take care of their people, Deanna's done a fine job of that, creating a community and a start at rebuilding society. Good leaders also are proactive about what if's, assessing the situation they exist in and look beyond it to extrapolate what could happen, what are the potential risks beyond our current situation, what are out needs today and what will they be a month from now.

When Deanna has demonstrated the ability to be proactive by seeking out both good people to join their society as well as survivor badasses like Rick and his group to add to the security the argument that Deanna is the worst leader ever simply has no merit.

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Rick offered Deanna advice on security and letting people carry guns, and she refused. Her oldest son kept losing people during runs, and she never replaced him. Deanna also got jealous when she saw key people in Rick's group like Maggie and Abe were becoming popular with the townspeople.

Deanna's a good person, but being a politician in the apocalypse, with a entire town accepting whatever she said, made her arrogant.

6. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

First of all, no one said the walls didnt work. And to say it is because WE (collectively) have watched the show and that the CHARACTER Deanna hasn't is just plain silly. We all agree that the walls work to a point. The debate was whether or not it was Deanna who built them. It wasn't. It was her husband and sons (plus other members of the community).

Deanna did not need to "have the luxury of watching the show" to know the threat that was out there. People do not get evacuated and sent by the Military to another community for nothing. THAT alone would warrant having knowledge that there was an outside threat.

A good leader would know what the weak spots were in the community. And then take care of them. Deanna did not. As I have said previously, taking away all weapons, NOT having a lookout, sending out ill equipped and even more ill experienced people to dispatch of walkers or conduct runs were all decisions made with what she had to work with....which wasn't much. The only point I will agree with is that she had the insight to send out recruiters thus bringing Rick and company to the community.

Good leaders take care of their people? By how? Hiding outside in a truck while they are being slaughtered?

And yes, the arguement that Deanna is a bad leader (i did not say the worst - I give that claim to fame to Joe), has alot of merit. It also has the facts to back it up.

7. Zed Sanford

Zed Sanford Member

1. She doesn't have to physically help build the walls to get some credit. The vision, the organization, the delegation, etc. are all essential to the project.

2. I thought she assessed the situation fairly well. She's 60ish and can't fight. She pointed out that she would only be a liability, and she was right. The only thing she might have done differently is insist her son leave her and join the fight.

8. mfinley

mfinley Member

Rick's not exactly a verbally, cerebrally influential person, he typically comes to meetings with 50 cuts on his face, covered in blood, screams and shouts about "I thought I was going to have kill half of you to save the other half..." not really a great talker. LOL

It takes a little while to take in a Rick rant and digest it an understand behind all the crazy there is actually some merit to his thoughts.

9. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

After Rick was made constable, Deanna and Reg took him, Michonne, and Sasha on a tour of Alexandria. Rick made some suggestions on security, which she rejected. Sasha volunteered for sentry duty, and Deanna immediately said that she made the job assignments.

Deanna was a liberal Democrat, who thought walls=safety. She likely kept the guns instead of melting them down because they gave the townspeople the impression they could defend themselves if the need ever arose. Well, the need arose, and the woman trusted with the key to the armory was found hiding inside the closet.

10. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Good write up, but the analogy doesn't work because the Tribe on the island has been isolated and knows nothing of what's going on til the people arrive. The ASZ experienced the ZA, knows of the ZA and has just happened to experience less of it due to it's location and Walls.

But they were not in the dark to the fact that the world went to hell and hostiles living and dead were out there somewhere and they were vulnerable.

Key issue people are ignoring if they're pro-Deanna in this debate. If they were totally in the dark and didn't have a clue about the Apocalypse and didn't have runners and scouts out there and were of total isolation then I'd say yeah... it's very very excusable.

11. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think, even if they were isolated since Day 1 of the Apocalypse, it is still not excusable as they know that bad people existed in even pre-AZ world. Unless they think that all criminals are dead now, then there is no point of having zero security.
    Crighton Dallas Wilton crept into Eastman's house and killed back then. A Crighton Dallas Wilton could just as easy to sneak into ASZ over the unguarded wall and kill now. With the police gone, guard and security should be raised up.

12. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I think living in the actual Zombie Apocalypse would be a superior dose of reality than watching a show on it. They built the Walls because the world went to hell did they not?

The Walls are great and credit to them for building it. The Security was not. Again, we don't expect them to have a private Military back there given their experiences but did they not have runners and scouts out there, people coming back with thinner numbers?

There was no armed look out and authority and experienced people weren't even carrying guns. I'll say it again - that's CRAZY in an Apocalypse where there's no military or police to come and help you and death and disaster lurks outside of your Walls.

Runners & Scouts. Again - they built the Walls as a response to societal meltdown to keep out zombie's, I think both of these features is a bigger wake up call to preparedness than analyzing preparedness from a TV show.

Deanna and Reg/others didn't do any of this well. This is what the whole debate is about. The details explaining why they were poor at this is all through the thread.

I, as the OP, retracted that she's the worst leader ever. That's a bit extreme, sure.

But still a weak leader and very poor. Most agree with that.

The arguments for her you're putting up have no merit, they've been debunked. I don't understand how you haven't accepted some of these concepts. Much comes down to opinion of course, but opinion based on facts of the environment they live in and what they knew from living it.

13. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

The Rick blow ups were after stressful situations such as the fight with Pete and the Walkers getting inside the Walls due to Father Gabriel letting the door stay open and ding ding....

No security.

Rick tried very hard to reach Deanna calmly and in civil fashion before either of those events and Deanna herself did not listen til it was too late and Reg lost his life due to drunken maniac Pete. Which of course after that wake up call she changes her mind and allows the very basic security measures to be put in place.

Is he a hot head? Yes, but that's forgivable given the situation, after in calm respectful fashion suggesting to a deluded leader how to make the place safe and how to deal with a drunkard that was mentally eroding worse and worse and was near to killing his wife.

You ignore very key elemental facts in your bias.

14. mfinley

mfinley Member

Let's talk about Rick's great leadership... My plan is to lead all the walkers from the quarry away from Alexandria, don't worry about it I got it figured out... uh, sorry, I blew it, Alexandria meet the herd.

15. Berry

Berry Member

I think Spencer would have had a few things to say about this thread :)

16. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Lol.... Spencer's rant against her made me smile. He is a douche, but it was factual.

That said Deanna seems to be coming around now. Struggling, but coming around. The rest of her people - WTF, useless.

17. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

Actually the Wolves blew it. Rick blew it about as much as Deanna built the Walls and kept her people safe for two years.

18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

What the specific disaster is isn't important. Your needs of food, water, shelter, safety, etc. are still the same. You still need those same things regardless of which of your above disasters occurs, and practically speaking, you must obtain them in the same way. An Eskimo wouldn't do the same survival measures as a Pacific Islander, but that's because of location, not disaster.

As far as zombies go, I'd propose to you that the arrival of zombies is no more dangerous than the world now - although that might not be the case for your specific country at this time. As an example, in Rwanda just 20 years ago the Hutus killed off about a million Tutsis - almost 3/4 of the Tutsi population. If you were a Tutsi, your options were run or fight to the death. How is that different from the ZA? No one is going to save you, that's for sure. Not just that, but the people trying to exterminate your race are as smart and better armed than you are, and more numerous. Frankly, a Tutsi would probably have been safer in the ZA.

So you might not see a f*cken resemblance between a massive natural disaster and the ZA, but I do.

#298 Morgotha, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  19. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I agree that Deanna should have thought more about defense, However, I'd again like to point out that the Governor had multiple people patrolling the walls of Woodbury with assault rifles 24/7, and it didn't stop Rick's people from getting in and killing his people. So even if Deanna DID have guards up (and she should have) the Wolves likely still would have gotten in and killed her citizens, they just would have done it in a different way, such as observing the place for a few days and coming in at night, in a secluded or less watched place, etc. If the Wolves thought they had to be careful when attacking, the situation might have even turned out worse for Alexandria.

20. Apollonia

Apollonia Well-Known Member

Frankly, I could care less about Tutsi's unless they are a Tootsie Roll. (see what I did there?)
    Secondly, you can propose all you want but there is a huge difference between any natural disaster and zombies. Natural disasters end, ie. earth stops quaking, rain stops falling, tidal wave subsides - you get the picture right? - Ya, Zombies don't stop until you kill them by blowing off their head!
    And lastly? With the complete and utter bullshit you just spewed above, I have no doubt that you will see the resemblance between Hippo and an Ant.