Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

cover art and additional info

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by Tony Davis, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Arrow

Arrow Active Member

I haven't read any of the novels are they good?

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

The writing style could use some work but the actual story is very interesting. They are focused primarily on the governor and later Lilly. The first gives a ton of backstory and important info of the Governor (the best imo). It adds a lot of depth to him. The second follows how lilly arrives at Lilly and how the gov set up. The third (split in two) covers the prison assault from their side.

It's just been announced that a new 4 novel series about Lilly is going to be released as well.

3. Arrow

Arrow Active Member

Thanks! I'll be sure to check them out soon.

4. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I absolutely love the novels. I agree that Bonasinga's style is a little lack-luster; but the story was riveting nonetheless. It was so insightful experiencing the story from different perspectives, and even more interesting to follow Lilly as she made her way to Woodbury. That was the most interesting for me; the time she spent in the "Tent City" with Josh Lee Hamilton. It was refreshing to follow a group of completely new people with no connection to Rick and co. Witnessing their plight and watching them struggle to survive was very captivating. I think this aspect of the novels goes to show how the planned television spin-off can be very interesting and successful; while also being able to stand alone and thrive without any connection to the parent series.

I didn't know they were going to continue Lilly's story in future novels. I had heard talk of more books in the works, but wasn't sure of their subject matter. It makes sense though, I'm sure most of us(me included) have been chomping at the bit since the last page of TFOTG Part 2, to find out the current state of things in Woodbury. It should be very interesting. I mean, from what I gather it's been a little over a year since the prison fell; so I would assume Lilly and Bob have everything running like a well-oiled machine now.--Would be cool if the comic took us back to Woodbury for a while(or even followed a completely new group) while Rick expanded and refined his Kingdom to a point of efficient, familiar civilization. After achieving his dream of safe passable roads, sustainable food and energy, running water, full-service medical care, education for children, a trained, disciplined and well-organized militia etc, etc; Rick will decide it's time to go one step further, to take another big leap toward a civilized world by deciding to open their doors to the rest of the country, or anyone who could make. With the new-found power and resources of the colony that Rick built, it would be easy for them to employ recruiting efforts like Aaron and Eric used to. They could manage outposts, and run shuttles, send out weekly search parties, post signs and broadcast radio messages(much like Terminus). That where the outposts come in though, to protect themselves. They don't want to just post up maps of their locations, that would most definitely attracted bad folks(although they would be strong enough at this point to eliminate any threat). Instead, the propaganda would guide survivors to one of several outposts located in each of the cardinal directions, all situated near major thoroughfares and junctions and easily identifiable landmarks/cities. Upon reaching an outpost survivors would be food and shelter while they underwent an interview process at the outpost. The questioning would take a few days, as well as physical and psych evaluations; this would also give the survivors times to rest, clean-up and makes themselves presentable as to not alarm anyone in the colony. Once they've passed the interview process, they would then be shuttled to the colony where they would be greeted by a welcoming party and given some sort of new-arrival kit. Including housing, clothes, toiletries, and other amenities; as well as a job(which was determined during the interview process at the outpost).--Eventually word of this safe-zone/colony would spread like wildfire across the nation; taking on a sort of "mythical" quality. Like a legend, or tall-tale; a rumor the people dream about, discussing it's possibility in whispers around late-night campfires. Most people would ignore the rumors, deeming them silly wives-tales. The sort of dreamy-romanticism reserved to only the most dangerously naive. But others would choose to believe, that small glimmer of hope for a better life becoming more than enough to motivate the believers to make the pilgrimage to this so-called promised land. Lilly would no-doubt catch wind of this news, and after much deliberation she would decide to pack-up Woodbury and lead a mass exodus to this place that some people perceive as nothing more than a fevered mirage born from years of desperation. Eventually, after a long, grueling journey, and many losses, they would make it. Who knows what would happen from there. But it would no doubt be interesting, we know for a fact that Lilly would recognize Rick, especially once the saw his hand, she would also easily recognize Michonne as that dark, exotic woman who wielded the katana; the woman who mutilated Philp Blake--how could she forget? The real million-dollar question is; did Rick happen to gaze into the distance, as his slain wife and daughter fell to the ground, and follow the trajectory to the barrel of the rifle that took their lives, identifying the woman who pulled the trigger? I think that has been left ambiguous on purpose. But if he did look, Lilly's face would be without a doubt burned into his mind. A face that has plagued his nightmares most nights since that fateful day. No doubt, Rick Grimes would be very well acquainted with Lilly Caul; whether she knows it or not. It would be an extremely interesting scene to see. Would Rick remember? Or would he be oblivious to the fact that this woman had taken everything from him? If so, would Lilly have the courage to tell Rick the truth? Or would she cower and hide in hopes of preserving her place in Rick's thriving kingdom, and more importantly her life? On the other hand, if Rick did remember, how would he react? Would he handle the matter in the manner of the wise, considerate, benevolent and merciful king he has become? Or would Lilly's arrival dredge up enough pain and rage to awaken the monster? Would Lilly and her Woodburians arrive in the safe zone only to find themselves face-to-face with "Rick-MotherF*ckin-Grimes? The same Rick who chewed-up and spat out the bandits, obliterated the hunters, and violently murdered Pete Anderson. She's have her hands full that's for sure; a lot of 'splainin' to do. LOL

All that being said, even though Kirkman has made statements to the effect that he has no plans to do novels on other characters; I would love for a trilogy chronicling Negan. His pre-plague life, his time as a resident of the Hilltop; and his subsequent rise to power. All foul-language and evil-doing aside, Negan is a damn phenomenal character; I think novels about him would be a great success.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm short on time so i will return to read that huge write up. lol

On the Negan part though kirkman specifically said that we would learn more about his past if he survived the war. He did. Where did you get that he as from Hilltop?

6. Arrow

Arrow Active Member

Kirkman confirmed in a letter hack on 126 that the "mystery woman" isn't Lily.

7. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I've developed a theory.
    Y'know who I think she is? Nobody. Exactly nobody. Her name is Natalie Olivia Body-- N. O. Body. These are thematic covers. We can clearly see that we're back with Rick in issue 129, so I don't think we have time to introduce and flesh-out a whole new group of survivors in 2 issues, even if one is double length. So this girl is a diversion. Next issue we are with Rick and friends. The issue after that we are with rick and friends. And then in 129, we are still with Rick and friends.

At least, i hope so. Really want to see what goes down now that negan is in captivity. Does carl shoot him? Does he talk to anybody? Do they occasionally walk into the cell, give him 100 paper cuts and then spray them with lemon juice? I want to know.

8. jwcoombs

I read it on the wiki, specifically the Saviors page, not Negan's(which I know can be unreliable from time to time). It surprised me when I first read it, because I had never heard anything of the sort; I figured after all this time something like that would be rudimentary details. But, it was news to me nonetheless.--That being said, the origin is as of yet unconfirmed by Kirkman, or any other authorities over there at Image. The wiki page itself actually states that Negan and his Saviors "presumably" , initially met at the Hilltop Colony. The lack of confirmation is probably the reason why it's not well-known info.

But all things considered, it does seem like the most plausible explanation for the origin of the Saviors(not Negan individually, mind you). It makes sense that the wiki page would presume that the Saviors are ex-Hilltop-ians who fell from grace(or in their minds, rose to power). Mainly comprised of the outcasts, the unsavory types; violent folks who never really played well with others...before or after.--I'll post the link so you can read for yourself, but the wiki states that a while after establishment, the people of the Hilltop momentarily found a productive, well-suited, and above all essential use for the unsavory types. They decided it would be best to group all these erratic, violent men together to form a sort of security detail for the community. Tasked with the never-ending job of dispatching zombies and keeping the perimeter secure. A job that most folks were happy to pawn off on someone else, but the unsavories seemed to enjoy it a little too much. Everything went smoothly, until the ranks of clique of "protectors" began to swell immensely. Eventually, and inevitably, a leader rose up from their ranks; a man named Negan. A kingdom can't have two kings; and Negan wasted no time in using his immense numbers and new-found power to force a monumental shift in the status-quo, completely destabilizing the balance of power.--And the rest is history. Negan used his strength to extort the spineless and craven Gregory. Forcing him to enter into the agreement, or die. So, with his new protection racquet in full swing, Negan gathered up his forces, raped and plundered the Hilltop for supplies and personnel who would be essential to the survival of his people, whether they came willingly or not(doctors, carpenters, intellectuals, women, etc.). Then, with his displaced constituents in tow, Negan set out to carve out his own piece of the apocalypse.

It all seems rather likely to me, especially after being alerted to the very enlightening details of the Brothers Carson.

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Saviors

9. jwcoombs

Not trying to be argumentative or anything; but how to you know we're back with Rick and the gang by 129? The 129 covers is out now(not the Dwight/Daryl April Fools gag). It shows nothing that confirms anything other than the fact that the undead are still a never-ending nuisance.

As of now, my theory is that the arm on the cover belongs to Rick; it is without a doubt a man's arm, and it exhibits the wiry frame and ropy musculature of Mr. Grimes. Not to mention it is a left arm, and we all know Rick is a lefty(albeit reluctantly LOL).

As for the contents of his hand, I personally believe that it is a cane of sorts. Something Rick will now doubt need during his recovery, and maybe for the rest of his life judging by what Doc. Carson said on the battlefield. They may have failed to set it in time, resulting in permanent damage and Rick's need for a cane. Also, we know that Ezekiel carried a cane or scepter of sorts, which seemed to be ornamental, same as the one on the 129 cover. Could it be, after the war, and after Rick's injury; As a gesture of great gratitude and loyalty and compassion, Ezekiel bestows his characteristic scepter upon Rick? Who knows?

On the other hand, when you take the issues tagline into account--"Even now, they still find news ways to dispose of the dead."--it makes you wonder. A lot of fans are theorizing that the item in the man's hand on the covers is actually a lever of sorts, that once pulled, will open a door or some other type of trap, instantly consuming the zombies heading toward it. This could very well be one example of these "new ways of disposal".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

New cover design for #127!

[​IMG]

What do you say?

11. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, it's not clear if it's just for 127 or it's the new logo

12. Sco

Sco Member

I also think that is Rick in #129.

13. Randy Grosjean

Randy Grosjean New Member

Maybe this was discussed earlier in the thread but is she missing her left arm? Also, has any thought been given to where these people are at? They seem to be on top of a shipping containing which makes me think they are at a sea port or possibly a train yard. I know those types of containers can be loaded on a tractor trailer so really they could be almost anywhere but if it was one of the other two that would point to somewhere outside of the Washington DC area.

14. TheGreatOnion

TheGreatOnion Well-Known Member

She could be. I can't tell from the cover.

15. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Still no preview pages...

16. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

she seems to have her left arm on the 128 cover

17. AlreadydeadZman

AlreadydeadZman New Member

Have not read any of this forum. Going to put in my theory. It is a jump forward in time. This is a group scouting for Ricks new world order. This woman on the cover I think could be Sophia, maybe Maggie's daughter, or someone we haven't met. The asian girl could also be Glen and Maggie's daughter.

Further more. I think Carl will eventually kill Negan and Rick will be forced to banish or imprison his own son for breaking the new law. Also think Carl will join Dwights saviors. Dwight will also want Negans blood. haha

18. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

If it is a timejump it's obviously not Sophia.

Kirk doesn't really like jumps in the comics though.

19. Gene360

Gene360 Member

How many copies of the variant sketch copy #127 Vegas Diamond Retailer Summit '14 were made, 300 or 500?

#159 Gene360, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014