Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Criticisms for "A"

Discussion in 'Episode 416 - A' started by Stuff&Thangs, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

This is exactly what Im saying. Thats what Rick- and Michonne and Daryl- wouldve totally done. Go in there covert style, at night, like they did at Woodbury.

Btw, whoever made the com

2. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

This is exactly what Im saying. Thats what Rick- and Michonne and Daryl- wouldve totally done. Go in there covert style, at night, like they did at Woodbury.

Also, whoever made the comparison between Gareth and Kucher was spot on. Id be very paranoid of someone talking like a hipster in that situation.

Btw, why does Gareth kill his own man? There was no reason for that.

3. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Didn't he say something like Oh Alex must have been on perimeter duty when Ricks group snuck in?
    I guess he whacked him for sleeping on the job?
    I am just guessing thought that his name is the one he used?

4. Malli1

Malli1 New Member

I thought the whole entry into the Terminus by Rick, Michonne, Daryl and Carl was a pretty big let down to be fair. I guess I saw the faith Rick wanted to have in the people of the Terminus but after the Governor more caution should have been exercised.

Main criticisms of A:

Daryl's explanation of what happened to Beth: Beth really grew on me this season, maybe because she actually got to be part of a storyline rather than a background babysitter and the transition between her becoming more grown-up and realistic than a child, but I felt that Daryl's explanation of her disappearance was inadequate. Fair enough a rather gruesome fight just occurred, but when asked why just say she is just gone? Surely an easy 'She was taken I don't know where she is' or whatever Daryl's theory on it might be would have been more adequate. I don't know if it was saving this for a time when the whole group was present or Maggie was there, but it just seemed pointless in not telling the truth, there was no need to divert from it. It felt, as I read in another persons post, very much like it was an oversight. I think at that point I knew we wouldn't be getting into the Beth story in the finale, which greatly disappointed me because I at least wanted some flash of what happened to her. It's a cliffhanger fair enough, but it's been a cliffhanger for a few more episodes than this now and being as so many people dislike Beth as a character or don't really mind what happens to her, it seems like it's a bit protracted for them to not let us know something so people can be like well, that's solved then or read more into it.

Michonne & Carl in the forest: I wanted to like this scene, I really did. I don't really know what I expected but being as this is the FINALE, and in the finale we've generally had a lot of walkers I was on the edge of my seat in this scene for no other reason than I expected someone from Terminus to come stumbling across them during this heart to heart or at very least a stray walker when they were both all emotional and unfocused on the task at hand. I just felt like I may have enjoyed it a bit more if it was in a different place, maybe back in the car after the whole Joe thing happened, not in the middle of some woods outside this mysterious Terminus.

The lack of Walkers: This past half a season has been really driven on character development, and I like character development. But in the finale of a show called The Walking Dead I kind of felt there was a real lack of them. None around Terminus (which sure, we can see as creepy or mysterious) and then none attracted when there was the big showdown with Joe. The only scene with walkers really was when the guy got eaten and then Michonne, Rick and Carl all ran off down the tracks, slicing a few more up to get past... Then next scene they're just casually walking along the tracks talking about food. Okay I get a lot happens in the finale but that was then the end of the walkers, which I guess they outran and the point was more about Carl being 'good' still. Fair enough. But I would have expected some more walker drama. I guess I just really miss a Herschel's farm style herd attack.

The reunion: I just wanted it to be a bit longer. The whole thing seemed set up for the line at the end by Rick, but ever since the entry into the terminus I just kind of wanted more story than rush, rush, rush, here we are guys, lets make Rick say this line from the comics being as we've spent all these episodes waiting for this moment. I would have even felt better about it if Rick didn't say that line, if everything wasn't so rushed. It did feel like there was really no time in this episode, and maybe the flashbacks could have been shorter to accommodate, or even incorporated into an earlier episode focused around Rick/Carl that would show this. I know it was all to set up the whole rather grim Joe full circle scene, but I just felt at times it got laborious and unnecessary. I like the more action packed episodes of the walking dead, but it seemed like the first half of the episode focused so much on character development, then thought, oh dear its the finale better have some action, so the second half was action but very signed, sealed and delivered in a short space of time. I just think the whole thing could have a better pace to it than it did.

Maggie: I know this has been said a lot but in the past couple of episodes more than just the finale I've been desperate for Maggie to show some kind of emotion over her sister. Yes I understand they're locked in a container, but I would be desperate for my sibling if I was looking for them and would at least be like what happened? More than anything I consider this a criticism of 4x15 rather than 4x16 simply because I'm not sure why we couldn't have had a quick two minutes just before Terminus (after the tunnel/during them walking down the tracks) for Maggie to be like "Hey! You know that girl who I seem to have forgotten about? Do any of you know if she's alive?" I've not been keen on Maggie's writing this season and she has fast removed herself from my favourite characters with her slightly crazy walker-killing and incessant Glenn searching which have made her character very single-dimensional. It just makes me foresee her not being alive much longer unless Glenn dies to give her some personality back.

Saying that, I did enjoy the finale and I'm looking forward to what next season brings, but I feel that these things majorly bugged me about the episode. More than anything I just wanted a huge herd of walkers to come overrun Terminus and everything else for lols...:zombies_blush:

5. Kingston50

Kingston50 Well-Known Member

I agree with your whole post 100%. I wanted to single this part out. I'm soooo disappointed in Maggie's character development in 4B. I don't care if I mention this 1,000 times, but the fact that she has not even marginally shown any major concern for her little sister has made me dislike her. The writers have made a couple of egregious errors in 4b, but this one takes the cake. It is a shame because Maggie started out as one of my favorite females because of her fierce loyalty to her family and her no-nonsense attitude, but now she's off that list. I'm not sure what the writers are planning to do with her, but I can't even see her living long. Her and Glenn are so wrapped up in each other that they can't even think straight or think about others. They will probably be the death of each other....

#145 Kingston50, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  6. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

That was just a comic reference. Doesn't matter if they're locked in a box car without weapons. Escape is not impossible.

7. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

That was a funny post [MENTION=32832]Kingston50[/MENTION] and you don't have to call me sir, Wolf is my name.
    And I agree with you about how Hershel would be reacting to his daughter Maggie's lack of interest in her sister Beth's fate.
    I mean even though she was happy to see Glen, not one mention at all about Beth to Glen from Maggie, it's as if their world just revolves around one another and no one else matters.
    I don't care about Glen or Maggie anymore either at this point.

8. Springsheen

Springsheen Member

I have to agree on Maggie's lack of reaction towards Beth. I mean she didn't even try to find her. In love or not, you don't do that to family.

9. duttydva

duttydva Member

i was touched by this moment as well because it surprised me. i don't know quite why it did because i already partly considered Rick and Daryl brothers, but it was very well-timed on all accounts. Daryl clearly needed to hear that and was seemingly kind of floored by the way he reacted lol. and furthermore to see the way Rick looked at Glenn & Maggie Sasha & Bob like he forgot who they were.. it just goes to show you where Rick's head is once again. i literally said "awwwww" right after Rick sung the tender words.

10. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

I'm not sure if the names matched up. But I remember the kid kept saying, "We don't have to do this now."

11. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

I get that it's from the comic and they wanted to end the season with that line. Still doesn't excuse the way they got there. Too rushed, just like Carol's decision to kill Lizzie. Season 4B could've done with less fluff and more grit.

And yeah, escape is not impossible. Carol is still out there. But where is Rick getting his confidence from in that situation? He has no idea where Carol is. I just get very tired of the "villains get the upper hand; villains lose the upper hand by underestimating the heroes/being cocky" formula. I wasn't that impressed w/ the way Rick turned the tables on Joe's group with a headbut... It's a lot more interesting when the heroes do something clever.

12. clarky241

clarky241 Member

Personally, I loved the episode. In my opinion, best of the season, and one of the best of the series. But no episode is perfect, and yeah, I still had more than a few criticisms:

1) Not one main character died. Seriously, AMC shoved SO many promotional pictures in our face with the caption "Who will survive" plastered all over it. I was so excited to see who was going to die (don't read too much into that statement), so I was really disappointed that everybody lived except that annoying dude who may or may not have been Gareth's boyfriend (I know he wasn't really Gareth's boyfriend). Oh, and the Claimers of course. (I have may have mentioned this in every other post I've ever posted since the finale but HOW GOOD WAS THAT SCENE?)

2) The flashbacks smelled a bit fillery to me. The pre-credits one was nice, and I loved the straight cut to Rick sitting next to the car with his hands all bloody (seriously, Michelle McClaren is wonderful). And yeah I get that the idea of the flashbacks was to show two different sides of Rick, but we sort of got that idea from the first couple, I felt they were a bit prolonged. But, they did bring Hershel back. Love you Hershel.

3) AMC forcing the writers to change Rick's final words. "Screwing with the wrong people," screwing... I seriously doubt they'd believe that if they heard him say that.

4) The ending in general. I like how they left it open-ended, but we were promised the biggest cliffhanger they've ever done, and although I guess it technically is a cliffhanger, we were left with no character in any immediate danger, so along with the "Who will survive?" promotional posters, they lied to us again. Fu-- ahem, screw you Gimple.

5) The casting choice for Gareth. While I like the idea of the character, the guy playing him is just annoying. And that bit at the end where he's calling them all by code names made me cringe. Seriously.

6) The Terminus section was rushed. If they'd have left out the flashbacks to make room I think I would've preferred it. And I know, I know, we needed to understand Rick's transformation, but I also wanna see people get eaten (edit: possibly eaten) (edit: nah they're gonna get eaten).

13. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

The way Rick handled Joe was pretty awesome IMO. He was mad and disappointed when he said "They're screwing with the wrong people", mostly because of what Terminus' people did to them. They wanted a safe place after everything they've been through, but it seems that bad people still surround them. I think Rick is willing to do anything to escape for his group and especially Carl.

To be honest, I wanted him to say "They're f***ing with the wrong people", but they must follow the rules of AMC. I know they allowed Breaking Bad's crew to use F-word once or twice per season.

14. Scarry Larry

Scarry Larry Member

The scene as a whole was good. I wouldve scripted the chain of events a littke differently though. I just dont see how anyone screws up a "gun to the head" situation.

Definitely wouldve opted for the F word at the end.

#154 Scarry Larry, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  15. eshlemon

eshlemon Member

Yes, despite the strong emotional distancing reinforced from the beginning of the season, can see possible disappointment the only ones to hug each other of the two reunited prison foursomes, Maggie and Glenn didn't do the same reaction to Rick.

#155 eshlemon, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  16. Youcher1

Youcher1 New Member

Hey, I should get credit for coming up with "Termites" first

17. Figure beauty

Figure beauty New Member

I think 'termites' rocks...super witty.....makes me laugh every time

Abraham is growing on me, and I didn't think he would. Again,I think for me this group of main character actors are super talented.. My criticism remains the writing and probably the editing. I bet a lot of what comes across as nonsense to us would have made since but crucial info gets edited out.

The writing has taken a major down turn.

The finale had great moments but did NOT work as a season finale, at least not for me. .

The so called cliffhanger.....and I cannot emphasize this enough.....was poorly executed by the writers and producers. I watched a review on YouTube called something like 'walking dead season 4finale review by IGN' and it is pretty SPOT ON with my feelings.

#157 Figure beauty, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  18. mgwyatt

mgwyatt New Member

What can I say. I liked it. The only criticism might be that Rick should have dropped the F bomb in the final scene. It would have had more impact. I'm glad that Andrew Lincoln had them do a take with it added. Maybe it will be on the S4 box set. Again, I really liked "A".

19. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

Your an obnoxious idiot trolling for a response and you got one.
    You also have a big mouth for a geek hiding in back of a keyboard, you should be thrown off this forum you coward, do you beat your girlfriend if a woman would even have you?
    Have you ever even been with a woman?
    Your response sounds like something a junior high school student would type out, you must really do well with the ladies.
    Either your post was a joke or your brain is the size of a pea you insect.

20. dabulls

dabulls Member

Yea you would like "A" hella moron