Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Criticisms for "The Grove"

Discussion in 'Episode 414 - The Grove' started by Stuff&Thangs, Mar 14, 2014.

1. sneakyboo

sneakyboo Member

I would have liked to see Micah in walker form, other than that it was a great epi, I liked it a lot :)

2. swscully

swscully Member

The little girls act as well as little girls can. This episode, though disturbing, can be described as appropriate. These two characters were not long for this world, and the writers were running out of ways to LET them live.

Killing a little girl, no matter what her malady, is beyond measure a horrifying and painful act. But in this case, also very prudent. With three children in tow, eventually the group was headed for disaster. I cant even imagine what sort of horribly painful experience would ensue, were this quintet to be discovered by a group like the one Daryl now runs with.

Even the actress who plays Carol is probably suffering some internal struggle over the events, they were so dark.

Unlike a considerable portion of the first half of the season, and most of S3, I was mesmerized.

The train wreck that IS the ZA was realized. As AMC couldn't legally show what would in reality prove to be the darkest moments of a ZA, they've provided us with a key hole to look through at true human suffering.

Since season 2, it was starting to feel as though the fear of being eaten by zombies was no longer tangible. Dispatching a small horde was starting to become a day to day fact of life, same as killing spiders, or ants. A nuisance more than a threat.

A little girl, mentally troubled dangling her fingers directly in front of the snapping teeth of a walker would capture the attention of even the most fervent naysayer of the show, if only for a moment.

What continues to haunt this watcher is that the little one signed her own death warrant when rescuing her psychopathic sister from the fate Lizzie ultimately condemned her to.

We all knew she was disturbed, and I don't believe I'm the only one who believed Carol was merely covering for the little nutjob.

If I were Tyrese, given the situation, murder/suicide would only be stopped by the needs of Judith after Carols confession. Tyrese forgave Carol, which is telling about the Tyrese character in so many ways. If they dont provide some character flaw for Ty soon, he make become unbelievable. As for now, I just love Ty.

Excellent episode, for which the only criticism I can apply would be so minor, as to be petty. They dragged the 'watch the flowers' scene a few seconds too long, making the little girls tears seem manufactured. One could hardly blame anyone for that.

Excellent episode, probably the best of the season thus far.

#142 swscully, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  3. swscully

swscully Member

Huck Fin was not racist. Some of the characters were, but the story and its morals were not.

4. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

No.

5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

First half of season when Carol is about to kill their (lizzie and mika) father, Lizzie is visibly upset and Mika tells her to look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers(in a bottle/vase on a cabinet)

6. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Well spotted!

7. melthebell

melthebell Well-Known Member

they mentioned it on the talking dead lol, tbh i think highways watching the whole show backwards Oo

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Have to give credit where credit is due, Yvette Nicole Brown (best guest ever on the talking dead) mentioned it and then the light went off above my head. I had an 'oohhhh yeah' moment.

9. highway234

highway234 Member

pow! in my face. totally forgot that, thanks.

10. kivo1889

kivo1889 Member

I think they've all lost people because they haven't been hardened to emotion enough. Executing Lizzie was really the only logical option; she would have killed others and died herself because of her insanity. I'm hoping the writers and actors can believably show us how the characters strike a balance between battle hardened ruthlessness and common humanity.

11. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah the cementary lawns didn't really reflect a Zombie apocalypse was going on lol

Nor did the lawns around the cottage where Lizzie went postal this week..

12. highway234

highway234 Member

so i hated this episode at first but the longer i argue with people about it here, the more i think it was actually a work of genius. no hack TV episode could ever stir up this much intriguing controversy.

13. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I think it was a wonderful episode, one of the best. I agree they might have spread it out but at the end of the day, we already knew the problem with Lizzie. If the choice were two episodes of Tyrese-Carol-the kids, I would have voted for that 100 x over the stupid (imho) episodes with Beth and Darryl. But I had no problem at all with this being covered in a single episode. We all knew Lizzie was not right in the head; we all knew she was dangerous; we all hoped, that for Carol's sake and Lizzie's sake, there was a safe harbor. There wasn't. There it is: life and death, stark and ugly, scary and thank God we are only casual viewers who can criticize and comment on the characters' decisions.

14. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Yes, and this is the genius and beauty of TWD when it is so well done, as this episode was. People will remember (and argue about Carol and Lizzie for seasons to come, just as the mere mention of Shane prompts a S##storm of controversy even today, 2 seasons later. ) This episode will also, and that is brilliant writing/acting/directing/etc.

So here's the real question in my mind: Which is more worthy of debate: A man killing his best friend (and a damn good co-leader, extracurricular activities aside) a more powerful source of debate than a formerly-bereaved mom of a dead 12 year old who has now killed a psychopathic 12 year old she tried to become a mother to? [I really don't know, but I'll bet Lizzie did not die an anonymous death nor will Carol have, when her time comes]

15. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Like luck is not on her side. First Sophia, then Mika and Lizzie... With Sophia she had a lighter approach, but wanted to change that with Mika and Lizzie so they could survive. But none of them did for a long time period, unfortunately.

16. IslandPlanet

IslandPlanet New Member

Dare I say it? The Walking Dead has become BORING!

This is my first post on TWD forum so I hate for it to be negative. I've been a fan since episode 1. The second half of this season seems to have been filmed completely differently. They have taken a page out of the Netflix/Arrested Development handbook and decided to feature just 2 main characters (max) in each episode in order to save money. The episodes and stories still dovetail, but we aren't seeing a group of characters together in the same episode anymore.

The result is that the first 3 episodes of the second half of this season have been mind-numbingly boring. Two characters talking incessantly with very little action (save for the 'look at the flowers' moment in this latest episode!). Where the hell is Rick? Where are all the rest of the characters that we like watching? If I have to watch two boring whiny characters whispering and crying in the dark for another hour I swear I'll start stabbing people in the cranium!

17. WalkingDog

WalkingDog Member

it does seem like they are doing bottle episodes to save money. also realllly slow movements by characters and excessive ambience that makes a 30 minute show into 42 minutes

18. HeadlessHershel

This episode was one of my all-time favorite episodes. While I could watch an entire series about Lizzie I can see how some fans might not like the current trend. Unfortunately Rick is both part of the problem and part of the solution. If they killed him off it would definitely free up a lot of money to make the show better. In this way the show seems to be a victim of its own success.

19. swscully

swscully Member

Is Andrew Lincoln over paid? He's unquestionably the best actor on set, but I wasn't aware of him hogging the profits, and choking the show.

20. eshlemon

eshlemon Member

Agree, a day after the charbroiled herd attack and the depths of Lizzies craziness revealed, the kids are left outside on a picnic blanket?!?

#160 eshlemon, Mar 27, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014