Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Criticisms for "Us"

Discussion in 'Episode 415 - Us' started by Stuff&Thangs, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Youcher1

Youcher1 New Member

I also thought the casting as Denise Crosby as Mary ( the woman at Terminus) was a mistake. It took me out of the moment. Instead of wondering who she is, friend or foe, I was just thinking WHOA, Tasha Yar is NOT aging well. ALSO, why was she uncredited?

2. JHebert

JHebert Member

I think this is the first time this season that I've actually had a complaint. It isn't about the story, though I found last night that I'm just not really all that interested in the Maggie/Glenn storyline.

I am just not into Rosita and Abraham's acting, Rosita particularly. It just rubbed me the wrong way and felt forced overall, to me. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, though, and wait. I felt the same way about Tara at first, but she's getting better and coming across less... awkward (though I could do without her falling down every 5 minutes.) I do find Eugene hilarious though, in the painfully awkward, horribly weird, nerdy redneck schtick, which I think is the point. Abraham and Rosita though... we shall see. I'll probably warm up to Abraham before I warm up to Rosita. Maybe I'm just holding Twilight against her.

I didn't really have issues with the rest of the episode though. I think it did what it was meant to do, which is put all the final pieces in position for the finale. The mixed groups at Terminus, Rick's group and Daryl's group on the way to colliding... I dunno, it does have me looking forward to the finale. I think this was the quiet before the storm, which next week looks like it will be. We shall see.

3. Jayne

Jayne New Member

I am wondering where you have actual discussion of the show? So far I have seen alot of one word/ slang
    and not alot of discussion of critques of the show? I will probably get blasted but new here and just wondering?

4. Roray

Roray Member

[​IMG]

nah, jk

lol

I'm thinking it's because it was a pretty good episode, and it's only been on for not even 24 hours, a lot of people watch the episodes multiple times to notice everything and get a full feel before they critique it.

5. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Have you spent even a minute on here trying to look around more?
    On the forum page directly under this thread on my computer are all threads about just this episode.
    Try looking a little more?

6. Govisgreat

Govisgreat Member

yea, i think any time spent on maggie and glenn is wasted time. they have outlived their welcome. overall a C+

7. trueblood234

trueblood234 Member

I give this episode a good 7.5/10. I mean the only things that happened was 1) Glenn meet up with Maggie - to be expected 2) Parts of the group reached terminus -- That's it! It took the entire episode to reveal that Joe is actually tracking Rick down. I would rate it higher if it was like 4x13 or something like that but not 4x15. There is not too much in the way of a build up 4x16. The pacing for the second half is a bit too slow! 4x14 was great though - great build up through the season with a great pay off.

#87 trueblood234, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. antonyzac

antonyzac New Member

I'm still not totally convinced about the tracking either. Firstly, how the hell did one of Joe's group see Rick's face long enough to know what he looks like and to track him? Even if they did, in reality he'd probably completely forget what Rick looked like 5 days later when they get to Terminus. How do they have clear evidence that they're also heading to Terminus, and how can they possibly track them on concrete and gravel? What if Rick's group veered off? That's my only criticism with this show generally. The writers force certain situations to fall into place for the right people to be together at the right time. It usually climaxes to something wonderful, but the journey there is forced. The same goes for the Maggie-Glen reunion. What were the chances? I get nothing much about humans reanimating is realistic, but at least make the human bits that CAN be realistic, be so.

9. Jordan

Jordan New Member

My only real criticism is that awful song that started paying when they arrived to Terminus. I can't.

10. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

As others have said, I also agree.
    And Terminus itself appeared to have no defences against either passing zombie hordes or marauding human gangs - unless those approaching were secretly being watched (we may find out next week?)

11. rustybag

rustybag Member

Do you think that's it, or is it possible that it may be due in part to the casting, and how the characters are written?

I thought the season 1 cast were excellent right off the bat, including the actors that had minimal screen time (Amy, Ed, Jim, the scientist at the CDC). In season 2, Hershel and Maggie made strong first impressions. The 2 guys at the bar that Hershel and Rick killed played the roles of "low life rapists and pillagers" amazing well in their one episode. Randall was fantastic, and he was only there for a couple of episides. In season 3 when they got to the prison, the prison crew was a great group of actors. How mesmerizing was Tomas in his one episode? Oscar too. I'm sure I'm forgetting people, but those in particular stand out for me.

Sometime during season 3 is when they really started to lose me with the new cast that was introduced. I was never a David Morrisey/ governor fan ( what people are saying about Abe, Eugene and Rosita being 'phony comic book characters' is how I felt about him). Shumpert & Martinez didn't really get many speaking lines, so they were disappointing. When they brought Martinez back in season 4, it didn't really seem that dramatic since they didn't develop him in the first place. From this season, Joe has the potential to be interesting. But for the most part I can't say that anyone has really captivated me right from the start since season 3, but prior to that they absolutely did. I don't know, I'm assuming what's changed is the casting, and how the parts are being written for these actors?

12. Sammy01

Sammy01 Member

Surely rick calls his Penus "Prick"

#92 Sammy01, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  13. shakey

shakey Member

God I hope not. If that happens carol can shoot ME in the head.

14. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Well put - unrealistic decision making for such a long term survivor of the apocalypse as Glenn is. Especially when you could here the zombies in there.
    I also thought Tara trapping her foot by an immovable rock (a very, very rare occurrence in real life e.g. Aaron Ralston's story) and then to be saved in the nick of time by Maggie and new found "friends" firing guns accurately at speed in such a dark tunnel was highly implausible, to say the least. Haven't taken to Abraham, Eugene and Rosita yet either...
    Finally, I don't think Joe's group would be bothering to track Rick - doesn't seem to fit with their survival strategies.
    One of the worst ever episodes for me - shame because I really enjoyed the last 2 especially.
    I don't want them all to meet up conveniently in the last episode - I hope that more than just Beth are left out in the cold by the end of next week - all of them to arrive more or less simultaneously at Terminus is (again) too unrealistic for me. We shall see...:Grin:

15. Sammy01

Sammy01 Member

I agree something has gone off or wrong with either the casting or writing of these new characters. I said it last week that there hasn't been a new character I truly care about in ages apart from Lizzie, who seemed a great little actress and played that part brilliantly.

The new characters have all seemed a little clumsy or parodies recently. Abe, Eugene and Rosita being the 3 worst, even down to their attire and hair colour/cuts.

16. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

Carol, "Look at the flowers, shakey. Look at the flowers."

17. David_S

David_S New Member

My gripe has really been with the arrival of Abraham, Eugene, and T+A. I felt like a good amount was going on already, with Rick running into the biker gang, and Carol having to deal with a crazy child, that all fit pretty well with the series and moved it along. But when, all of the sudden, a mullet scientist arrives proclaiming he can save the world, followed by a stereotypical army dude with attached eye candy, it just feels like that was the very moment they jumped the shark. I'm not watching them with interest, so much as watching them in fear that the producers are going to wreck the show with them. They are way over-stereotyped and make no sense (an army dude who is smart enough to get them from Houston to Georgia, yet dumb enough to believe a mullet "scientist" is going to save the world? really?).

18. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

We have 4 groups following the train tracks. Tyresse and Lizzie encountered 1 walker on the tracks in episode 14, and Joe's group killed 1 in episode 15, but the tunnell in episode 15 is full of them. Sigh

19. Motorboat

Motorboat New Member

I wanted to go back and respond to this one because I think a few folks missed a crucial point. Back in "Claimed" when Rick is under the bed and the two guys are fighting over it, the guy who loses is not strangled to death - he is knocked unconscious with a "sleeper hold" *(google it) - while he is getting a good look at Rick's face. Even these guys aren't stupid enough to go to sleep with a dead body with an intact brain next to the bed.

#99 Motorboat, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  20. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

It was the same in the comic as well. These three showed up and changed the entire tone of the series. They were outrageous caricatures compared to our known group of survivors. It was the journey to DC where we really get to know these bizarre archetypes, and see they are just as normal as everyone else. Abe's personality is big and colorful, Eugene is still the smartest survivor they have encountered (Yes he is a huge dork and largely full of bull plop, but he is very intelligent.), and Rosita - well, She is still alive in the comic, but is becoming confused with background characters so...

Removing the wheat from the chaff, so far they have been written faithfully to their print counterparts (Except Rosita has actually done more of note in the show already) and this bodes well for the future. It will just take a little bit of time for them to get to know and fully trust each other, again just as in the books. The only real problem will be if they all just light up and split with Abraham as easily as they did in the book (And it looks like they mostly are already), as I could not believe that they would have just started following a group of strangers after all that happened at the prison. I didn't trust Abe in the book until after he and Rick bonded, but he became my favorite.

Sure they are cartoony, but faithful to the source material. Not your normal survivors for sure, but I bet they will grow into something more here as well.