Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Custom Lucille

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Collectibles' started by Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

SUPPLIES:
    -Baseball bat at flea market, $3.
    -14 Guage galvanized steel wire (for barbed wire body), $12.
    -17 Guage galvanized steel wire (for barbs), $4.
    -Wrap wire then bend barbs (the actual stuff is too expensive and too thick use easily).
    -Spray wire from all sides with cheap brown primer, $5
    -Various cheap brown acrcylic paints at Wal*mart for $8 to touch up barbed wire AFTER wrapping bat.
    -THICK $12 leather gloves to protect hands when pulling wire tight to wrap around bat.
    -Six hours over a few days building this fun prop.

WARNING:
    I strongly advise against using barbed wire found in the wild as it is rusty and a severe tetenis risk (unless you have a fetish for shots).

TIPS:
    -I STRONGLY recommend building your own thinner guage barbed wire as it more accurately resembles the comic version of Lucille.
    -Make 6 to 8 feet of barbed wire.
    -While you can use fasteners to attach both ends of the wire to the bat, I found it easier and more asthetically appealing to the eye to bend each end at a 90 degree angle and push into 1-inch deep predrilled holes.
    -A vise or second person to hold the bat is recommended when you wrap the barbed wire. It will recoil, thus, the good leather gloves to keep your hands puncture free.
    -Hold wire tight, cut excess off, bend at 90 degree angle, shove 1 inch into hole.

Thanks for checking out my first attempt at a prop replica ever. ENJOY!

#1 Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I love it! Great work! I've actually been working on my own custom Lucille as well, except I'm using a black solid maple bat(about $40 at sporting goods store;maple is and extremely hard wood and not as prone to cracking and splintering as the more common ash). I'm very thankful for instruction on crafting the barbed wire; I bought about ten feet of the pre-fab stuff from a local feed store, and as I'm sure you already know, have been having a little trouble securing it to the the bat. Also, I must say the DIY wire is much more aesthetically accurate and pleasing. Thanks for the tip, and once again bravo! It's looks great; love the pics, especially the copy of the Something To Fear issues #97-#102 variant covers! Outstanding!

#2 jwcoombs, Apr 6, 2014
  3. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Good luck with your Lucille and thank you for the kind words!

Yes. Securing the wire to the bat was the hard part. I almost used huge, ugly lugs... I'm glad I opted for the holes instead. The double-twisted 14 guage wire is big enough to retain it's regidity and keep from pulling out of the holes on either end. Of course you have to pull it REALLY tight, thus scratching the heck out of the bat, to get it tight enough to put the "L"-shaped bend in that last inch of wire and get it in the hole. Also, you'll want to overlap the wire in a couple spots as you wrap it otherwise it'll naturally conform to a spring shape around the bat.

Oh, another perk of the DIY wire is that you can space your barbs closer together. I went with 4.5 to 5 inch spacing as apposed to the more prototypical 7.5 or 8.5 inches.

#3 Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Apr 6, 2014
  4. hjmcbee

hjmcbee New Member

Lucille Bat

This is amazing! I am working on my own bat right now and it is definitely not easy.
    Your pictures are not showing up for me...could you repost them or reply them here so I can see them? I am very interested in what yours looks like!

5. Apocalypse Arms

Apocalypse Arms New Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member