Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dale's Death Far Fetched?

Discussion in 'Episode 211 - Judge, Jury, Executioner' started by Wick, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Wick

Wick New Member

So this might have been addressed in another thread at some point, but from the several I did scan I couldn't find it. Did anyone else find it rather implausible that someone's stomach could just be ripped open by human hands/fingers? Let's say they have some serious fingernails and were trying really hard, even so realistically I think the best you could do is some deep scratches, but this walker looks like he practically all but dug his way into Dale's intestines. I'm even thinking of the scene where Lori scratches Shane's face, she certainly had as much strength, force, and nails as that walker, but if she had a go at Shane's abs would she have gotten very far? Maybe the time elapsed from the walker being on top of Dale to when they finally came to his aid was longer than they portrayed. Maybe I'm reading way into it. Any thoughts?

2. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

That's the thing that just makes me think in zombie movies. Harder for a strong living human to rip open a human stomach. Yet a dead rotten corpse can easily open one.

3. SeraphM

SeraphM Member

I'll admit I didn't really love that. They need to be consistent as to how strong the zombies are, and if they make them too strong, they are too hard to fight without a gun, which they show them doing quite a bit. Andrea never should have been able to survive the one in the RV. So yeah, they got lazy with this, I think they just wanted something gruesome, but didn't want to have a herd of zombies. They should have had Dale fall on something maybe, if they wanted a bunch of blood. Or just, you know, had Shane kill him, since Shane was already on his way out.

4. HisMrs

HisMrs Member

I kinda thought that was weird, too. But then again, my dad is about the same age as Dale was supposed to be on the show, and his skin is super thin and papery. His skin tears really easily, so I was thinking it might not be that far fetched that a zombie could tear it open like that. Hey, it's Hollywood. ;)

5. dlhays1

dlhays1 Member

I think it would have been better if the walker bit Dale in the stomach and then torn open Dale's stomach.

6. Killermolls

Killermolls Member

I mean its not like its a Tank from Left 4 Dead, Lol. Yeah seems rather implausible. Don't get why it would go for that over biting him. (I'm assuming that zombie was stuck in the swamp for a while, it had to be hungry).

Even if its fingernails were sharp as hell, this beast isn't Wolverine, or a tiger. I mean come on. Some people speculate its fingers were down to the bone which still seems implausible.

7. jordan760

jordan760 New Member

I dont know for certain, but I did see somewhere in this forum that it is possible. In a book called 'The Zombie Survival guide' (I have never read it by the way) apparently the author goes into how the nerves in Walkers fingers are dead, and that everyone is capable of doing something like that, but their brain and nerves wont let them do so.

This is not fact, just something I heard, can anyone confirm it?

8. silmarien

silmarien Member

That's some bullshit. People could not tear through someone's stomach with their bare hands regardless of the nerves, etc. Humans simply do not have enough hand and arm strength to do this, and human nails are not thick or sharp enough. The nails would tear out of the fingers before you could scratch a person's innards out like that zombie did.

9. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

It doesn't bother me how the walker did it, it was just terrifying that it could do it..

10. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

Just being a 'Devil's Advocate', on the last show of 'Deadliest Warrior' they did a zombies vs vampire thing. Part of the prep was three 'strongmen' competitors doing a chest tear apart on a ballistics dummy. They did it. Of course it wasn't struggling, but they did rip it apart.

11. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

The way the camera was switching back and forth made it unclear on first watch if it was Dale ripping the zombie's stomach open or vice versa. Of course, Dale had two hands busy fending the walker from biting him, so unless he had four arms (and who wouldn't want four arms in the ZA? Heck, I'd go for eight like Drummer Boy from Wild Cards).

The walker was at a real mechanical disadvantage. Try laying on top of a pillow and ripping it open and you'll get some idea of the difficulty. But it set up for his death being a mercy killing, which made the emotional impact even more bitter.

12. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

They talked about it on the commentary, supposedly the walker's bones were sticking out and kinda sharp. They worked sort of like knives.

13. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

walkers don't feel pain or anything at all. It won't stop even if it hurts itself. It would be easy for us to do it like that.

14. apiratesaysarrr

Oddly enough, that wasn't even the part that bothered me the most, really.

I found it odd that Dale stumbled across a mutilated cow, had that LOOK on his face, but it kind of looked like a "what on earth could be going on here?" look. As though he'd forgotten he was living in the freaking zombie apocalypse. Didn't even look like he thought to reach for his rifle. It was just quizzical. "How on Earth did THAT happen?" Gee, I don't know, Dale! MAYBE a freaking ZOMBIE ate that thing and you might be next!

I don't sweat the small stuff ;)

15. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I never really thought it was far fetched. Zombie's have nothing telling them to hold back when it comes to tearing into a human - they are purely acting on their need to eat the human flesh. As humans, no matter how hard we go at someone we still hold back. Plus teeth and bone are really strong, and they can use it to full advantage without worrying about any type of pain. They also don't think it's gross so that's an advantage :)

16. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Here's the thing... I won't say that it was far fetched or not. But what I will say is that a zombie has no pain threshold. And that is the bottom line when it comes to strength and power. That doesn't mean a zombie can pick up a car and throw it, but it does mean that a zombie will be able to do things that a regular person cannot.

If the tips of a zombies fingers are nothing but bone, that's a perfect stabbing weapon. Then the zombie will use it's increased strength due to having no pain threshold, to rip open a human stomach with relative ease.

Also, let's not forget that this is a show about zombies. So "far fetched" kinda went out the window after the first scene of the pilot episode. Just sayin... lol

17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Not only that but they are usually in a hurry not to miss the next episode of Ellen. :p

Yeah, a zombie would pull no punches, and when one ran into you, it would basically be 150 or 200 pounds of mass crashing into you and trying to bite you. We get desensitized to this watching the show, but even one walker would be a threat.

18. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Meh, I was fine about that. Someone said something about how the walkers don't really feel pain so they could break their fingers trying to rip someone open if they want to. Not to mention bone is way sharper then some think.

What annoyed me about Dale's death is not only how an old and matured man went out in the middle of the night alone when it was pitch fuc*ing black but also into an open desolate field with nothing but a fuc*ing scoped rifle. He saw an eaten cow and instead of running away or warning the others he ventured on like a moron. Come to think of it everything about his death was stupid, at-least Carl had an excuse even if his part in the whole thing was dumb. Kids with stupid parents do stupid stuff. There's no excuse for Dale, even though the death was forced because the actor wanted off the show.

19. King Mabel

King Mabel Member

I TOTALLY agree with you. I thought it was kind of ludicrous that zombie could just tear through flesh like that.

Of course, his older skin might have helped, but it still seemed too much to me at the time.

20. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

The producers said on the DVD commentary that it was because the walker basically just had bones for fingers, so they were easier to dig in with.