Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dark, on Netflix

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Neuropyramidal, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I just finished it last night. The ending seems to be kind of polarizing to fans, but I actually thought it worked well. With a series and complicated and as good as this series, its hard to come up with an ending that will live up to the brilliant journey, but I feel they pulled it off for the most part.

SPOILERS>>>>>>
    . I figured out there was a third world when Tannhaus opened the door to the bunker and it opened like the door of a DeLorean rather than left to right like in the other two worlds. I tried predicting the ending a few episodes early, but I was off by a bit. I thought that Jonas and Martha going to the origin world would end up being what caused Tannhaus' family to get in the car accident, thus, true to the theme of series, once again making sure everything stayed the same. Then when they appeared in the road and the car swerved I was like "OMG that's exactly what's happening". I'm not sure if that would have been a better ending or not.

There are a few things I would have done differently. I think it would have been more powerful at the end if they showed EVERYONE who never existed in the origin world slowly disappearing instead of just Marth, Jonas, and Claudia. So many others also would have ceased to exist. The entire Nielsen family bloodline from Agnes right down to Mikkel, and about half of the Dopplers, would have never existed in the origin world. They should have showed them all disappearing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Neuropyramidal

There's a few things I was disappointed they didn't give more of an answer to [at least I don't think they did, unless it was hidden in clues]. Like the whole backstory to Alexander and Clausen. I saw a translation of the newspaper article and apparently Alexander was on the run for accidentally killing a locksmith during a robbery. But still, I would have liked to know more about the whole Boris Neiwald/Alexander Kohler thing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Yes!!! Closure for the rest of the characters is what I had hoped to see. It would have ended the series perfectly for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. southernlady

I agree. I’ll probably do a rewatch to see what I can catch that I missed in the first go round. You really need to pay attention so I’m sure there were a few things I didn’t pick up on.

I guess I’m a person that likes everything tied up with a nice little bow - though that rarely happens with series these days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Neuropyramidal

Yeah I always pick up more on the second watch. There's a few things I wasn't completely clear on. Like when Egon went back to time to find Hannah having what seemed to be a miscarriage. I'm assuming his job was to get her medical attention to make sure Silja was born. But that was obviously Alt-world Egon, so that would have been alt-world Hannah. But in the alt world, Mikkel never went back in time, and Hannah would have not gone to 1953 to find Ulrich and end up carrying Egon's child. There were a few things like that where I wasn't quite clear.

6. Goggles Pizano

You can miss a lot too by watching season by season vs. binging. This is such a nuanced and detailed show that the year between seasons has a negative affect on all the small details. (Or at least it did for my memory)

It was only in another message board that someone wrote about a quick conversion in an earlier season between teenagers (including Marta and Magnus Nielsen) in which Bartosz tells a story/legend about a dead woman in a lake decades past only for the dead woman to turn out to be Marta and Magnus’ mom Katerina. I had totally forgot about that conversation.

Agree 100% with the comment on the ending saying how powerful it would have been to see all the characters whose lives we’ve followed and become invested in, slowly being wiped from existence: Bartosz, Noah, Ulrich, Magnus, Charlotte etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Planning to jump into this series today. Have heard so many good things about it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. southernlady

I do wish I had watched seasons 1 and 2 again before watching season 3! That is my plan for the re-watch.

#28 southernlady, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  9. southernlady

I think you will enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neuropyramidal

Hope you enjoy it. I actually recommend avoiding this thread until you are done. This show is best enjoyed unspoiled, like eggs and train companions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealth

I really like the show. It's a little like Twin Peaks. I watched the whole first season in the course of just a few days. The only problem is I felt like I might've missed little things by watching at that rate. Huge payoff in the Season 1 finale. I didn't see the Jonah reveal coming. It's not easy to do 3 different timelines and make it coherent. They managed that easily, which is impressive.

Ulrich attempting to kill Helge as a kid was a real pivotal moment. What got me was how a switch seemed to flip in him after he decided to cross the line. Suddenly he's going off on a rant to the police about being from the future and needing to set things right etc. He might've been able to talk his way out of things if he'd cleaned himself up in advance, didn't act like a lunatic and of course, didn't run. Younger Jonah had more sense in navigating the past.

I also find all the characters interesting too, which is another similarity with Twin Peaks. The paths they're on and how it links to the past is fascinating.

Going to wait a few days before going to Season 2. I can't wait really, but want to absorb and mull over everything that happened for a bit.

I'll avoid the earlier thread discussion but will post again after I'm done with Season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stealth

Have been taking the watch of Season 2 more slowly than Season 1. I couldn't stop with the first one, because it was so intriguing. Now I'm just taking it at a more gradual pace to absorb all the twists and turns. I only have the Season 2 finale to watch. My observations:

• I loathe Hannah. In Season 1 she said she wanted Ulrich's life ruined but going back in time, seeing him while he was in the institution and treating him that way was pure evil.
    • I have problems with Ulrich too.He's a deeply flawed person, and he seems to handle every situation poorly, but I was still pulling for him when he was trying to get his son back to the cave. That was tragic.
    • The Jonah/Adam reveal surprised me
    • Egon Tiedemann's story is fascinating. I feel as if he's going to play some sort of bigger role down the line. He finally put the pieces together and then Claudia let him die.
    • The show keeps you guessing about people's true motivations. Or maybe their motivations change as events do?
    • Jonah and Claudia appear to be on opposite ends of the pole (not sure which side) but yet they're working together at some points in the timeline.
    • I liked how they added further depth to Charlotte's story by apparently making Noah her father
    I could go on and on here because it's such an intricate story. After I complete Season 3 I'm going to go back and rewatch the first season again and see what else there is to pick up on after I have a better perspective.

I love this show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stealth

I've finished the series and really enjoyed it. I was a little concerned about the finale because I've watched too many shows fall flat at the end. It wasn't necessarily the ending I would have wanted myself, but that's not how I judge the quality of a series. The ending works, even if it's not the one I personally would've chosen.

So Tannhaus basically succeeded. He set these loops into motion to save his family, and in the end that's exactly what happened. In a way it makes him a mild villain of sorts because he triggered two worlds where there was so much anguish and suffering. The sacrifice made by Jonas and Martha end up giving him what he wants.

I know the series is over but if they were to continue it they could take it from the approach that saving the Tannhaus family causes a different timeline to develop. Because in the original world his family is supposed to die. The problem comes in when he tries to alter the past. So Martha and Jonas, who would've never existed if not for the alt timelines, were what saved his family. So there's a paradox there.

So, while the ending works I feel we need more because of the complex world they created.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stealth

David Lynch would've taken your approach, or the one I mentioned in my post above, that Jonas and Martha created a new counterreaction.

On paper I think either one sounds better, since the world created was so complex and I don't think it can be tied up so neatly, particularly when two people who never exist in the original world impact the fate of people in it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stealth

I'm going to do a rewatch too, probably toward the end of the year. I particularly want to see the first season again because so much was packed into it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. southernlady

There is so much going on that you can miss things - I know I did! I started my rewatch but think I will postpone it to when I can really dedicate myself to it rather than an episode here, an episode there...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stealth

It's such an intricate show and they did an amazing job just keeping all of the pieces together in a coherent whole.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Neuropyramidal

Yes, I definitely caught many more things on my second [and third, for seasons 1 and 2] watch. After my first watch of S3, I wasn't entirely clear on how Claudia knew about Tannhaus' time machine in the origin world. On my second watch I have come to believe it was just brilliant deduction. She figured out there was an origin world through logic, by simply understanding that all the people on earth could not be the product of a time loop. So some must be copies of 'original' people. That part was straight forward. As for how she knew the details of the split, I think she just simply deduced it based on what she knew of Tannhaus in Adam's world. She knew he had a family that died. She knew he was obsessed with time travel, and Tannhaus made a habit of saying he once thought his place was in the past, but now he know's it is in the present, because he had Charlotte to care for.

So she deduced that since Charlotte didn't exist in the origin world, Tannhaus had nothing to keep the present as it is, thus he actually went through with his plan to create a time machine, thus splitting the universe.

I also didn't at first understand Alt-Egon's reason for travelling to the past at the exact moment Hannah was having a miscarriage. I wondered why he wouldn't get there a couple hours earlier, to get her to a hospital before it got that bad. But when I thought about it, his exact task was to save Hannah but NOT the baby. The baby had to die. And Hannah would have died that day in the dining room with no intervention. So in order to save Hannah but allow the baby to die, he had to show up at that exact moment, when it was too late for the baby. He must have told her he was taking her to get medical attention, but what he was really doing was taking her to get medical attention in 1953. That way she would meet younger Egon in 1953 and thus Silja could be born in the alt-world. If Hannah had shown up in 1953 while still pregnant, its less likely young Egon would have impregnated her.

There are DOZENS of things like this that I only figured out on my second watch.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Neuropyramidal

I think there were several more bootstrap paradoxes that I picked up on during my second watch as well. For instance, when The Unknown goes to turn the lever at the power plant to 'cause' the opening of the tunnel. The middle aged version went alone in one world, while the child and old man went together in another. So the child learned how to do it by watching the old man, and thus the middle aged version also knew how to do it by himself. The knowledge of what levers to mess with was itself a bootstrap.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Neuropyramidal

Interestingly, I read an article once where one of the creators of the show claimed that Dark was originally conceived as just being a crime drama surrounding some missing children, and the time travel aspect was kind of an afterthought. lol. That's like saying Star Wars was originally going to simply be about a man who finds out his long lost father is really evil, and the idea of adding outer space came at the last minute.

• Like Like x 1