Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl and Carol's "magical" van ride

Discussion in 'Episode 506 - Consumed' started by Mr Sinister, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Walker Caravan

Agreed with these. No way it should've landed on its wheels. Zombierain made up for it. Just had to turn up the suspension of disbelief a notch or two to get passed the wheel landing.

2. deadcpa

deadcpa Member

It was a good bit. But it logically should have landed on its roof.

3. lewh

lewh Member

Even the editing made it look impossible haha:

[​IMG]

It looks like its gonna end on its back but miraculously lands on all fours haha!

4. Walker Caravan

What's that black shape? In that clip there, when the camera is inside the van. That very last couple frames before the camera switches to outside again. What is that dark shape looks like underside of a car? Is that just the van's shadow?

Edit: ok looked closer and it's just shadow.

#24 Walker Caravan, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. AngelCastiel

AngelCastiel Member

Just another Daryl Dixon moment. Daryl Dixon doesn't defy physics, physics defies Daryl Dixon.

#25 AngelCastiel, Nov 17, 2014
  6. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how they set up the shot that they got. Instead of just filming a van falling of a bridge, they must have dropped it from a crane. And from a relatively low height, too--it wasn't moving all that fast at impact.

ETA: Upon further reflection, I think the van did end up its back during the first take, and they had to go back and shoot a second take using a crane so it would land on its wheels. Ideally, the van would have landed on its nose and then falled back on its wheels, but I think the thing rolled forward onto its back.

#26 westwingnut, Nov 17, 2014
  7. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;l5aZJBLAu1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5aZJBLAu1E[/video]

8. sam12six

sam12six Member

Wheels up is a term military people sometimes use to describe a situation that has gone out of control in a bad way. Who is the character who pretends to be military? That's right, Abe.

Now, Abe encountered Eugene just after he flipped. Does that remind you of anything (hint: the van flipped).

Thanks to Eugene, Abe was able to avoid his situation going entirely wheels up just like the van that was wheels up 4 feet from impact landed upright.

On Walking and Talking (that show that tries to explain the things they didn't have time to explain on the Talking Dead), they mentioned that the entire van sequence was an attempt by the writers to bring mullets back into fashion.

Good grief, you people who can't read symbolism drive me nuts. You want to bring in your physics or biology or logic instead of understanding that if something seems wrong on the show, it's time to start the mental gymnastics to turn that apparent writing/producing mistake into something praiseworthy.

*** To avoid confusion for the intellectually challenged superfans who feel that they've been missing something, Walking and Talking is not a real show.

9. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

It's not unrealistic. The only thing the writers messed up is they chose a really low bridge. I just assume that was the mistake and the bridge as actually much higher up. A goof up yes, but I don't find that anything to lose sleep over.

#29 Spidey, Nov 17, 2014
  10. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

The first time, they rolled it off the bridge with the back weighted, thinking this would make it land upright, but it flipped. So they had another van ready, which they dropped from a crane on the bridge.

http://youtu.be/_DUKhDW2lcM

Edit: I read somewhereorother that they used 4 identical vans to film the sequence. So one with hydraulics for the actors to work in, one that was rolled off the bridge, one that was dropped from a crane, and a fourth one for...?

#30 and138, Nov 17, 2014
  11. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

Ok, the finished product was not believable. I don't care if it was the choice of bridge, the brand of tires of the van, whether or not Nick the walkers was hiding in the back of the van somewhere, if Daryl was hold the steering wheel with both hand or one, if an airbag malfunctioned, or if Daryl used an arrow to start the van with. The scene was not realistic and attempting to defend that it was makes you seem retarded. The writers messed up. Face it. Accept it. Own it.

12. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

Yeah, sorry but just because you disagree with the significance of a small mistake doesn't make me "retarded" Way to use personal insults because you have your panties in a bunch over a tiny detail.

This has nothing to do with writing so I don't care. The writers probably imagined a higher bridge, and the episode was shown to me in a way that the writers meant for it to do a full flip, but the special effects people failed to deliver. Special effects are not something I care much about.

#32 Spidey, Nov 17, 2014
  13. Necrophile213

That wasn't a tiny mistake. It was instantly noticeable to anyone that was paying attention. They literally could not make the van land right off of the bridge so they had to drop one from a crane. If they couldn't make one land then it should have told them that they shouldnt have attempted to pass it off to the viewer.

14. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

It's a tiny mistake because this has no implications on man vs man in the zombie apocolapse, the state of humanity when there's limited resources, the development of carol or daryl, there's no plot holes created from it, no characters are acting out of character, or anything that actually means anything. If the bridge was 40 feet higher it would work. So to me it's a minor error. You are fine to disagree but there's no reason to throw around insults because special affects mean more to you than to me.

15. Necrophile213

Details mean more to me. I hold a show to pretty high standards. This thread is clearly about the special effects blunder. By your own admission, this thread shouldn't have even been worth your time to Visit, much less take the time to argue with me.

16. Walker Caravan

In that clip, why is that white car going backwards around 1:41-1:45 ish?

17. CorpseKiller

CorpseKiller Member

Let's just add the magic van to the list of other unbelievable moments on the show some of which being, arrows shot from a crossbow that are always found and retrieved, super fast recovery time from serious injuries, no one getting sick from drinking any water they can find (toilet water?), etc. Oh yeah and the most unbelievable thing...zombies. I think the show is meant to be watched with maybe just a little disbelief. Ha Ha!

18. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Actually I would have liked to see the front of the van "catch" on something (cable, tree, damage from bridge) on the way down and end up on all fours. Especially if C&D had yelled out a little, "OHHH!!" and then landed without rolling over. They look at each other in disbelief and crack up laughing as the walkers rain down.

19. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

It also occurs to me that they must have done some storyboard work ahead of time to plan the shot from inside the van of the approaching ground. So it made no sense to have the van land on its tires.

I suppose it was not possible to dangle the van from the crane such that its nose was facing down. In that video it looked like they surrounded the van with chains, I guess it wouldn't have been safe to just attach them to the rear axle. At least give the crew props for having the crane on set as a backup plan.

By the way, I think this is a small thing. But I took some physics courses in college and I remember things like torque and angular momentum.

#39 westwingnut, Nov 17, 2014
  20. sam12six

sam12six Member

To be fair, I've read a lot of urban survival material that recommends hot water heaters and toilet tanks as sources of water. Obviously, either should be boiled, but the water in the toilet shouldn't be especially dirty (unless the home belonged to one of those people who like to take the cover off and take a dump in the tank to hear the next person who flushes yell in disgust).