Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl can't drive a stick?

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by QuantumCurt, Mar 21, 2016.

1. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Did anyone else find this odd? We're supposed to expect that Daryl Dixon doesn't have a thorough mastery of how to drive a manual transmission? He's a redneck bowhunting biker who grew up in the sticks and has all kinds of survival skills. And he's grinding away on that transmission like it's his third time driving a stick?

I found that a bit hard to believe.

2. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

He can only handle ricks stick.

3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Daryl may have been preoccupied with keeping Denise safe on the med run, and what was wrong with Carol.

4. msmith73

msmith73 Member

a little was bad driving and a lot was just to piss off Denise.

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what they were trying to show us there. Was it just to show us Denise had knowledge and skills outside of medicine, to demonstrate her potential to blossom, maybe? Was something wrong with the transmission itself, which may come to play in a future episode? I'm kind of leaning towards the former.

6. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

It was kind of an annoying brotherly thing to do, so I think that's why it was done. Didn't that fuel truck probably have a manual transmission?

7. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

I think it was nothing to do with Daryl and instead to show us some of Denise back story. The alcoholic parents, the neglect, probably growing up poor since she talked about driving old beaters. Seeing a sad side of her so we feel worse when they put an arrow through her head.

8. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I didn't understand it at all. He wasn't grinning at Denise to let us know it was deliberate. He kept shifting up and down every 5 seconds. There is no shortage of cars in the ZA, if this one didn't work well, why use it? Just another terrible scene IMO. Whatever they were trying to convey, they didn't.

9. Mister_Baker

Mister_Baker Member

Since he spends most of his time riding motorcycles, it's not to hard to believe that he might not have all that much experience driving a stick shift. A lot of avid bikers don't like driving cars or trucks.

The scene was there to allow Denise to give some backstory about herself.

#9 Mister_Baker, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  10. forceten

forceten Member

I been riding motorcycles since 5 years old - If he can ride a bike - all but scooters shift - then no way he can't drive a stick shift. Although you clutch with your hand on a bike and foot to shift - its really easy to swap and foot clutch and hand shift

More than anything I think they truck was old and had transmissions problems. Might have been able to double clutch it. I drove at one time a really old oil truck that didnt like to shift smooth. Double clutching helped.

In the end its just writers giving an excuse for denise to show she has skills or talk about her back story before she went bye bye

11. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

What I thought also. Brought back memories of learning stick in a U-Haul lol

12. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

It seemed strangely in-character, honestly. Daryl has his own style of driving a stick shift just like he has his own style of eating.

13. RarreKZ

RarreKZ Well-Known Member

To be fair, once she mentioned the stick thing Daryl just kept doing it to piss her off.

14. walkon

walkon Active Member

Hey, I put the 'C' in country and I've never met a true 'n true country boy who couldn't drive a stick shift. Heck, most country gals can drive one.

15. Mr Bag

Mr Bag Member

Denise sounded a lot like a man in this scene.

16. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, at the end there he was doing it even worse just to screw with her. But early on, it seemed like honest user error.

17. Gordian Knot

Gordian Knot Member

It was a curious scene in the beginning, although I agree that after she started trying to correct him he made it worse just to mess with her. The scene served two functions, to show a little bit more of her character before she became collateral damage. It was also there to show us that despite his gruff exterior, Daryl does have a sense of humor to mess with someone's head.

As far as his seeming inability to use a stick - not all stick shifts are created equal. There a hundred variations on the basic format and it could be this particular truck had a system that Daryl was not familiar with but Denise was.

18. Mister_Baker

Mister_Baker Member

How?

19. Rigor_Mortis

Rigor_Mortis Member

On the other hand, Daryl's not really a touchy-feely kind of person, so it might have been awkward trying to shift with 3 people on the bench seat.

20. bluesfan

bluesfan Active Member

this was the biggest error the show has ever made. Failed humor.