Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl: "I Should have killed him." To Tara and Carol.

Discussion in 'Episode 813 - Do Not Send Us Astray' started by Chr1s, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Near the end of the episode when Rick and Daryl tell Tara that the weapons were tainted, in their minds they were telling her she was going to die. In Daryl's mind, he was telling her that Dwight "killed" her.

At one point Daryl tells Tara that he had the chance to kill Dwight and didn't but believes he should have. Tara responds by saying she still believes in Dwight.

Going back to after Dwight killed Denise. He had almost the same conversation with Carol, saying he should have killed Dwight. At that point Carol told him he should have. That encouraged Daryl to go out looking for Dwight, which ended up getting himself, Glenn, and Rosita captured and set the stage for the first meeting with Negan.

I'm wondering if Tara's more positive reply will effect Daryl and give him some faith that Dwight is good. As opposed to Carol's negative response encouraging him to seek out Dwight to kill him.

Most of us believe that Dwight shot Tara with a clean arrow to save her from Simon. In which case, if Tara's words had an effect on Daryl, it might allow him to see that and believe in Dwight himself. Where as Carol's words had the opposite effect.

I just think they are interesting scenes that sort of mirror themselves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gustavo LaPizza

Dwight should die Just because he had all' the opportunities in the world to kill Simon step up and stop the madness but he didnt

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I'm sure Dwight has regretted killing Denise for a while now. At the time, he claimed it was an accident, but that grin on his face said otherwise.

That said, I think this subplot is going to come down to Daryl acting stupid again and putting a gun to Dwight's head; a sickly Tara will stagger forward and say she forgives Dwight and Daryl should too.

The funny thing is, all Dwight did to Daryl originally was take his crossbow and motorcycle; not exactly killing offenses in my book. :p

4. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

ALL?? His weapon and his motorcycle! In the apocalypse! After Daryl had just offered him a new home! Terrible betrayals. But that's not all. Dwight is one of Negan's top lackeys. Dwight goes on to keep Daryl locked up naked, feed him dog food, and torture him with "Easy Street" and the photograph. Daryl had an abusive childhood and he wouldn't easily forgive being subjugated. I totally get the hatred and blood lust.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Captured him (mistaken identity), took his stuff, marched him around and threatened to kill him. After he escaped he goes back, gives them the meds, protects them from the saviors, helps bury the sister, then offers them a safe home..only to be robbed again and left alone and disarmed in the woods. That's more than just taking his bike. If anything Dwight's hatred of Daryl makes no sense. Dwight did him wrong, the next time he sees Daryl he tries to kill him. No reason at all.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

That wouldn't have solved anything. If Dwight killed Simon he would have had to figure out a way to stop the attack. Go back and change the plan again? Actually now that you say it, he could have killed Simon when they were alone, then went back to the group and told them they found Negan's car but Simon was bit and eaten in the process, so stop the attack and everybody go look for Negan. That would have bought some time and maybe even prevented the attack all together.

You are right, Dwight should have killed Simon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I don't see that happening. I think Tara's arrow is clean and she won't get sick. I also see that being the trigger that lets Daryl know he can trust Dwight. That he didn't use dirty weapons and actually saved Tara.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rapscallion

Remember, I said originally. Yes, Dwight took Daryl's crossbow and motorcycle, but he still had his knife, and he found Abraham and Sasha quickly.

9. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

To be fair, Daryl didn't want to kill Dwight until after he killed Denise. Up to that point he was pissed that Dwight took his shit, but he didn't say he should have killed him until after Denise died. It was a hind sight thing. He had the chance and didn't take it because he didn't feel it was deserved at the time. Once Dwight killed Denise THEN Daryl wished he had killed Dwight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rapscallion

Good point. Daryl didn't make this "I should've killed him" vow until Dwight killed Denise, which I believe was intentional. I've never liked that Daryl set out to avenge a woman he barely knew, but that was part of Gimple's plan of getting Team Family together for the Lucille cliffhanger, and we all know how well that worked out. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lindigo

Yes, I saw the "originally" but I was still in too much shock to stop typing. His crossbow!!! His MOTORCYCLE!!!!! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

From a character standpoint, his actions made sense to me. He is a very loyal guy, he protects his people. This was the woman who saved Carl's life and he had some connection to her as can be seen in their conversations. So this wasn't just someone he hardly knew, she was a part of his group and someone who saved someone he cares about deeply.

Plus, the person who killed her was someone who he had a run in with and feels he had the chance to stop this from happening. He was out there protecting her, she dies because of a man he tried to help and who he had the chance, and the reason, to kill before hand. He felt guilty, it's that simple. He felt directly responsible for her death and wanted blood.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Rapscallion

Nah. ;)

It was just Gimple's idea of getting Team Family caught for the Lucille lineup, and turn the fans against Daryl. Remember that Michonne, Glenn, and Rosita got caught looking for Daryl.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Lindigo

There was a ploy to turn fans against Daryl?!? It must have only worked on Dnae. :D

Even at the very beginning when "all" they had done was steal his crossbow and motorcycle, wasn't it in that same episode that Sherry said she was sorry and Daryl said ominously, "You Will be."

That was already Daryl seething for revenge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Rapscallion

Daryl's character has decreased these last few seasons. He's an original character, created by Frank Darabont, and he's very popular, three strikes against him with showrunner Scott Gimple, who has mostly been faithful to the comic book.

Daryl went outside Alexandria's walls repeatedly to avenge Denise, a woman he barely knew. Daryl got Glenn, Michonne, and Tara caught by the Saviors. Then Daryl walked into a trap, got shot, and they were all put into the lineup up along with the rest of Team Family. After Negan killed Abraham, a wounded Daryl punched Negan, which brought on Glenn's death.

I think Gimple would've loved to have killed Daryl off in the season 6 cliffhanger, but AMC wouldn't allow it.

Since season 6, Daryl has acted stupidly, and he got worse in season 8 when he crashed a truck into Sanctuary's wall to let the herd in, but instead the Saviors got out. The fans don't seem to root for Daryl like they used to, so my theory is Gimple has done all this because he can't kill Daryl off without a heavy fan backlash.

#15 Rapscallion, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  16. Lindigo

That's an impressive analysis. I really don't think GImple could kill off Daryl no matter what he tried. Of course, I never thought Carl could die, either....

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Carl's death is basically not story driven but as a result of Chandler wanting out of the show. If it is an actor issue and not a character or plot issue, it is impossible to predict.

18. Lindigo

They go back and forth on whether Chandler really wanted out. He had just bought a home where they shoot. I kinda wonder if he would have said he wanted out as a salary gambit that misfired. But, yes, good point. Whew. My Daryl is safe. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Rapscallion

Thanks. I agree with you about Carl. I knew AMC was cheap, but I never thought they're so cheap they'd kill TWD's future just because Chandler Riggs was about to turn 18-years-old.

20. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 1