Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl!

Discussion in 'Episode 205 - Chupacabra' started by Rapscallion, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Great episode tonight. So far the best this season!

Unfortunately Sophia wasn't found, and Merle turned out to be an hallucination, but it was great and frightening to see Daryl,wounded, fight his way back to the farm.

I'm not sure why Daryl cut off those walker's ears and put them around his neck. Was it for extra motivation to keep going, or proof that more walkers are in the area?

And after all Daryl went through to get back, Andrea almost killed him! How will they interact now after they started to open up to each other?

I'm glad that Carol thanked Daryl for his efforts to find her daughter, and told Daryl that he's every bit as good as Rick. He deserved to know that.

#1 Rapscallion, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Flesh Eater

Flesh Eater Well-Known Member

Not to mention Daryl had the best line tonight....."and they want slurpees in Hell" man I laughed when he said that.

3. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

Man I thought he was done for when the walker was at his feet. I thought he took a chunk out of his leg. Must have just been his clothing. So far this has been my favorite episode this season.

4. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

It is an old barbaric wartime tradition to remove ears (or other body parts) and keep them, sometimes on a necklace, as trophies. It is the same idea as scalping people, and people have done it (or something like it) in most major wars throughout history. It is less common among developed nations now, but US Special Forces and some paratroopers in Vietnam reportedly did it, and a couple of US soldiers in Afghanistan were charged, and one convicted in September, of doing the same thing with the fingers of innocent civilians, hunted and killed for the soldiers amusement. In WWII, American soldiers left most of the Nazi's corpses alone, but they mutilated a LOT of Japanese dead. According to one historian, 60% of the Japanese dead returned from Marianas to Japan were missing their skulls. The number of headless corpses in Iwo Jima was also very high.

WWII US soldier with skull of Japanese soldier
    [​IMG]

Caption and photo below both from Life Magazine. Yes, really. “When he said goodbye two years ago to Natalie Nickerson, 20, a war worker of Phoenix, Ariz., a big, handsome Navy lieutenant promised her a Jap. Last week Natalie received a human skull, autographed by her lieutenant and 13 friends, and inscribed: ‘This is a good Jap–a dead one picked up on the New Guinea beach,’ Natalie, surprised at the gift, named it Tojo. The armed forces disapprove strongly of this sort of thing.”
    http://www.****edgaijin.com/forums/images/vbimghost/9794a87a2f19c4fc.jpg
    At the bottom of the picture, it says "Arizona war worker writes her Navy boyfriend a thank-you note for the Jap skull he sent her."

I feel a need to defend US troops - I love and admire them all (except the occasional animal who commits these atrocities), past and present. And the guys who fought against the Axis powers went through hell and did a brilliant job, as have our troops for a hundred years or more. Even in Vietnam, the enlisted men did everything they were ordered to do. Any and all American failure in Vietnam was political and social rather than military. Because there was no objective to the war, no realistic end game, the public got sick of hundreds of men dying every week for stupid South Vietnam. Finally, at least US soldiers didn't do this in WWII.

#4 fatbrett2, Nov 13, 2011
  5. magnus101

magnus101 Member

It didn't seem like Andrea felt any remorse. Anyone else think that?
    Dale said everyone has wanted to shoot Daryl. Maybe Daryl's thoughts are correct. No one really cares for him in the camp.
    It will be interesting if he goes off and searches for his brother.

By the way, how come glenn didn't go looking for the girl?

6. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

I think Dale was joking just to cheer up Andrea. I really wouldn't take what he that serious. After the scene with Sophia's mother I'm sure Daryl knows some people care for him.

7. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

I just figured something out:

1) Japanese soldiers eating each other, as well as civilians and the enemy, in many instances - all documented.

2) 60% of Japanese dead on Iwo Jima and the Marianas Islands to Japan (in the 1980's) found without heads.

The 'Japanese' in WWII were really ZOMBIES!!!!

8. Flesh Eater

I think they all care for Daryl but remember last season he was an obnoxious annoying little ----....now without Merle he's learned to fit in.

I don't think they let Glenn go hunting in the woods, he's their "go to town" guy...lol

9. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I think Carol adores him, T-Dawg respects and is learning to like him, Dale stood up for him when T-Dawg was ranting, Rick is very grateful to him and put him in charge of the search because he respects Daryl's wilderness skills, and Andrea likes him a lot too. She does feel alot of remorse - you could see her initial smile fade away VERY quickly when she realized what had happened, she ran over to him screaming, etc. He is ok, so she doesn't have to go crazy with guilt.

Glenn looked for her earlier, but now he is getting laid - let him enjoy himself a little bit - he is the guy who always goes on supply runs alone for the others.

10. grumpygriff

grumpygriff Member

I was worried about the same thing. I was sitting here on the couch saying "oh no, please no". LOL

11. Rapscallion

Why search for a kid when you can make one, eh?

12. Flesh Eater

Well Michael Rooker on Talking Dead lead us to believe that Daryl gets bit....not sure if he meant this episode or later. I hope not, Daryl is a great character for the TV show.

13. Gu3rr1lla

Gu3rr1lla New Member

I'm really glad he is okay, he is my favourite character.

I think he is actually the most rational person in the group. While everyone else is looking up to Rick or praying to illusions Daryl was out actually doing something.

He seems like he can look after himself and not impose onto others. For someone who grew up being abused as a child, as evidence by his relationship with his brother and the story he told Andrea about his father going drinking while he was lost in the woods, he seems very emotionally mature. I like the strength that he projects and also his gentleness like when he offered that flower and story to Carol.

This level of confidence and rationality can be quite scary to people at first but will naturally gravitate towards him after a while. I'm looking forward to see how his relationship with Rick pans out.

#13 Gu3rr1lla, Nov 14, 2011
  14. patrickdwhite

patrickdwhite New Member

I was pretty sure Daryl was not going to Die...but it seemed pretty clear that the Walker was chomping on his leg/foot. I thought he was going to survive...but have to go back and tell the crew that he was bit and the storyline would progress from there. Anyone else think the same thing?

15. Roman'sRevenge

Roman'sRevenge Active Member

As much as I like seeing my favorite Rick. I loved this episode with Daryl and the hallucinations with Merle. It was about time that an episode was devoted mostly Daryl.

16. Rapscallion

The Walker was bitting the tips of Daryl's boots; his teeth didn't tear through the material.

17. patrickdwhite

patrickdwhite New Member

Seems like a terrible place for the Walker to start eating...with all that Flesh on a non-moving body just laying there. Every other Walker goes straight for the face it seems. But...glad he didn't get bit. Or did he?!!?

18. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Sup Pat Welcome man! Yeah he totally got lucky. I mean why go for a boot when you have a body just lying there.

19. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL I did the same thing. I really thought they were gonna kill him off.

20. The Governor

The Governor Member

Oh man, tell me about it. Daryl is by far my favorite character...I was sweatin bullets.