Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl's First Episode!

Discussion in 'Episode 103 - Tell It to the Frogs' started by Jakobi, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

He had some short hair back then, and man he was pretty pissed about his deer lol. He has some attitude in this episode, man he has changed.

2. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

When Daryl first appeared on The Walking Dead, I never would've guessed he'd become such a fan favorite!

Like it or not haters, Daryl's a reason for the show's success.

I love Daryl. I wish I were like him in a lot of ways.

3. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

I hope some of that attitude comes back.

4. Pinkerton

Pinkerton New Member

Agreed. I enjoyed his character a lot more in season 1 and 2.

5. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I like what they've done with his character. People have to change. Although I think it would be nice for him to bring some of that Southern-boy redneck 'tude back, like in the first two seasons. His funny one-liners took a nose dive in season 3. His exchange with Martinez was epic, not much else though.

6. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Having more people around will help all the characters get some of their edge back - I hope.

7. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

Is it bad I memorized his whole introductory scene/s? lmfao

8. joshred4

joshred4 Member

In season 1 he was full on Daryl and in season 3 he was the exact opposite. In season 2 he was kind of a mix between the two, and I think I liked him best in season 2.

9. batongal

batongal Active Member

Funny I rewatched this episode last week and man, I forgot how Norman came on screen and you could not stop watching him. From the second he came on he hit it out the park. I liked him from that point on he really was the most interesting thing on TWD.
    I felt T-Dog was the 2nd interesting thing back in season 1. There was so much potential there for IronE and it all died in Season 2 when he became a background character not doing much. Stupid writers.

10. Walker3895

Walker3895 Member

Thats not bad at all...i think thats awesome

11. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

I agree, I'm a dude and really could care less about Daryl, give me a poncho and a nice bike with the SS insignia on the gas tank and anyone would look cool. Then give The Wolf a crossbow, I already know how to track and hunt prey, but unlike Daryl I like women, and if Beth would have thrown herself at me like in the episode "Still" we'd be conquering the Z.A. together.

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I love when Daryl is introduced, he provides some much needed comic relief. I think (I have never read the comics) we are expecting someone more violent and crazy like Merle, and although Daryl is aggressive he is obviously much more rational and sensitive than Merle. My favourite is when Shane has him in a choke hold:
    daryl: you best let me go!
    Shane: nah I think it's best I don't
    Daryl: choke holdins illegal!
    shane: file a complaint

13. Emi

Emi New Member

I completely agree. I don't like the quiet/reserved Daryl.

14. lovedaryl

lovedaryl Well-Known Member

Season 5 Daryl started getting the one liners again... "We brought dinner." and "The place smells like horseshit."

I think like Carol said, "He was a boy, and now he's a man." Daryl just grew up. He'd never spit that "on golden pond" comment to Dale if it were season 4 or 5. Same thing with calling Glenn a "Chinese kid." He has more respect for others, and in turn, is earning that same respect back. It took the apocalypse and his brother and other family members' deaths to have him grow up and quit being a self-absorbed, prickly jerk. I love that he's come into his own and be a valuable, contributing, loyal member of their group. I just LOVE how he changed. Norman Reedus does, too. He's mentioned in many articles how he's developing Daryl's character and it's absolutely lovely.

Those one-liners were funny... but no biggie. The writers could give them to anyone just for comic relief, but as for Daryl's overall character, if he were a real person, can't you see what an incredible, honest honorable person he is now, as opposed to such a dick back then?

15. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

So true! I love how when Merle called glen the Chinese guy and Daryl fires back- he's Korean! You really see how he's changed. He realizes it then too being with Merle again, I think he's like yeah this is my brother, but the Group has become his true family. I think I enjoyed season 1 and 2 Daryl because like you said- those lines could have been given to anyone but it's like he's trying to be "that guy" that doesn't give a sh*t but he's fighting it inside and he does care about these ppl. I think that's why we love daryl so much, he's got the badboy attitude and looks but has one of the softest hearts out of the lot of them. Always looking out for the ones who need it most. Even in Vatos, his second episode he's the one to say "someone get that old lady outta the line of fire!" Also you can tell he's a big softie when he full on cries in front of everyone when they find Merle's hand on the roof. He's always had it in him but had the ZA not occurred he probably would have suppressed his good nature forever. Such a great character, they've done an awesome job with him, and Norman is so perfect in the role. *Sigh*

16. lovedaryl

lovedaryl Well-Known Member

YES! He is loveable and sweet. Thank goodness he's had the opportunity to let that part of him out. Like you said, if he'd continue to follow Merle around, doing nothing, or whatever he said they'd be doing that day, he'd never have become a better person, or changed so many lives.

I do love all the facets of Daryl. Season 1 surly, cranky, redneck Daryl. Season 2 uncomfortable/misfit/outsider Daryl, circling the group, coming and going, looking for Sophia, trying to fit in. Season 3 loyal, starting to be a leader, finding his own way Daryl. Season 4, hero (to the Woodbury folk) fighter, softer side, finding his emotions/hope/faith (thanks to Beth) Daryl, and Season 5 determined, quiet, fearless, sad, exhausted, grieving Daryl...

I'm excited to see where his character goes in season 6!!!!

17. Watching Dead

Watching Dead Member

Great character arc. I think Merle was the biggest influance. Correct me if I am wrong but Daryl was the much younger brother and Merle is very aggresive and in your face and always on. I doubt Daryl ever got a moments peace even though Merle was technically looking out for his little bro I get the impression Daryl was living the life Merle was designing for him. Once Merle was gone Daryl got to spread his wings and be the man he wanted to be.