Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl's mini bottle... but Daryl doesn't drink.

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by DarylFTW, Mar 24, 2016.

1. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I don't think I've seen anyone mention this.

Daryl drank the mini bottle of booze at Denise's grave. But we all know that Daryl doesn't drink because he becomes an a--hole. Remember, he told Beth that. Sooo, I think Daryl was starting to break down right then about Denise's death. I wonder if Carol knew about Daryl avoiding drinking?

2. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Well naturally because he feels responsible for her death just like Beth. She is another dead girl to him and he's drinking to cope with the pain. And as far as Carol knowing? I'm sure she did know because she was watching him as he did it.

3. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

Daryl does drink. Who would mention this if it ain't true.

4. Lolly92660

Lolly92660 Member

I'm not sure we all know that.

If you remember from "Still" they played "I never", a drinking game he did not particularly enjoy and which did indeed turn him into a bit of an a--hole (including dragging Beth outside and making her watch him repeatedly shoot a walker with his crossbow). Of course, it also allowed him to open up about what was eating at him, so in the end his drinking didn't end up to be all bad.

Maybe knowing that alcohol makes him an a--hole is what motivated him to drink the mini bottle. Maybe he wanted to feel bad about himself for not having killed Dwight the first time they met, thus eventually leading to Denise's death, so maybe the drinking served two purposes:
    1) it was a salute to Denise (as in a toast), and
    2) it allowed him to open up and feel the guilt that he's harboring because of her death.

5. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

He's an asshole when he's drunk, taking a few drinks doesn't get him drunk. And he has never swore off drinking, just apologized to Beth for being the way he was to her. We also saw him drink and get drunk at the CDC with nothing to complain of other than a hangover. And we saw him drink with Joe on the way to Terminus. So you are off base to say he doesn't drink. Was he also drinking at the church when they had the wine? But I do think he was using it to cope with Denise's death.

6. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Yes, I was thinking of the "I never" game. So I thought the only other person who knew he was avoiding booze was Beth. I do like your idea that he wanted to feel bad or worse about Denise's death. That's a good idea.
    I just found it interesting that he's seen the deaths of alot of people: Sophia, Dale, etc, etc. and yet this time we see him drink.

And the other drinking that others have pointed out did seem to be in celebration: CDC.

Thanks for the replies... Keep those ideas coming.

7. Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko Member

Drinking cheap backwoods redneck moonshine makes him an Ahole when he drinks, Drinking mini bottles of Jim Beam doesnt.

8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I guess i just saw it as a little tribute to her in a way...they found the mini bottles while they were on the run that she wanted to take (to find the medication) so he tipped one back in her honor.

If he wanted to drown his sorrows, he would need a lot more than that tiny little bottle :)

#8 Jen7, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  9. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

Too true. Didn't Daryl say that the backpack had booze in it? I wonder if it was all little bottles or bigger ones?

10. leonard_tepper

Stop, Daryl pounds beers all the time, they just don't show it. He shotguns Nati all day.

11. calliope

calliope Active Member

Drinking to someone who mentioned several times that her parents were alcoholics and that she herself didn't drink because of it isn't much of a tribute. I think it was meant to indicate to us that he was headed to a bad place. He does mention that he becomes an a**hole when he drinks in Still, and I think he passes on drinking at the church, but I'd have to check that.

12. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, at the CDC he was actually walking around with a half full bottle of Southern Comfort in his hand lol.

13. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Yeah but she's too dead to be offended. One might say Hershel had a drinking problem and Beth drank to him...

14. BlackLightning

Funny you should say that.

Because, if I can remember correctly, Daryl's mother was negligent because she had a drinking problem. She was so drunk that when their house burned down, she died. So Daryl's feelings about drinking (i.e. he doesn't respect big drinkers/alcoholics, he generally tries to avoid drinking) make sense

Daryl told Carl about this at the prison after Lori died and Rick had gone crazy. And I do remember that thing with Bob in 4A.

15. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

Rick wants Daryl's 'mini bottle' in Rick's 'mini bottle opener'.
    ;)

16. calliope

calliope Active Member

Oh, I definitely think we were meant to think about the similarities between Daryl's life and Denise's during the episode. I'll go so far
    as to say that Denise was saying those things deliberately because she suspected that Daryl had had a horrific childhood. She had seen his back while stitching up his stab wound, that level of violence almost always occurs in the setting of substance/alcohol abuse.
    I think she was trying to reach out to him in a way that he would understand. I suspect that is partially what is fueling this revenge scenario.

17. BlackLightning

Now that I think about your posts, everything that has happened between Daryl and Denise over the past couple weeks makes a lot of sense.

Denise was a psychiatrist. Not that you need to be a psychiatrist to figure out Daryl (he isn't that hard of a read) but it makes sense that she'd try to counsel/provide low-key therapy to her friends.

18. calliope

calliope Active Member

I agree, which makes her death doubly sad. I liked Denise as a character in her own right, but she would have been a good friend to Daryl and an ally in his journey to overcome childhood abuse.