Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl's new weapon?

Discussion in 'Episode 413 - Alone' started by sneakyboo, Mar 11, 2014.

1. sneakyboo

sneakyboo Member

Maybe they will walk past a shop that sold those types of bows and he will stock up lol.

seriously I'm surprised he managed enough till now he seems to have had an unending supply of arrows till date

#1 sneakyboo, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. SweetD213

SweetD213 Member

Daryl is down to one arrow. Think he'll get a new weapon or just use the crossbow to whack people and walkers with?

3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Hopefully Daryl will carve his own arrows like he did in the later half of season 2.

4. sneakyboo

sneakyboo Member

Oh yeah I forgot about that but wouldn't they all be once off ones as I take it they wouldn't be able to bear the same stress as the correct arrows would.

5. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Hershel blessed Daryl's bow, just after he did the same to his magic shotgun from season 2.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. sneakyboo

sneakyboo Member

Lol good one..... there seems to be more magical weapons on TWD than there is on Harry Potter

7. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

I'm not an archer, but I believe all arrows, wooden or plastic, eventually break after repeated use.

8. sneakyboo

sneakyboo Member

But I thought that the ones that come with the bow would last a lot longer, obviously they all break in the end but they should at least last a good few goes each whereas the craved ones would probably break after one use in such a powerful bow

9. JEA13

JEA13 Well-Known Member

I suggested in another thread that he start using a slingshot. He can find ammo like stones, anywhere. He could carry more ammo. Zombie skulls seem very fragile so slingshot should work. He could scrounge thru sporting goods or hunting stores and find high powered one (or he should have done that previously).

10. the roc

the roc Member

You can shoot arrows from a slingshot. That would be a good weapon but the slingshot bands would break from repeated use.

11. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

What about a super soaker?

12. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

A super-soaker filled with water arrows.

Me, I'd have a plain ol' garden hoe or something similar. Gives a bit of distance with the handle, has a good solid metal edge, and if you can manage to find one of the older models made years ago, it would last for quite some time. Rewashable, reusable.

That, and a trusty knife, since flame-throwers aren't readily available.

13. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Daryl replenished his ammo when he got the new bow from morgan's stache. he is going to have t make more soon. He has before.

14. Calloway70

Calloway70 Member

I have a high-powered crossbow, so I have some experience on this.

True, all arrow will eventually break. For straight target practice, it would be quite a while before one breaks. For hunting, they frequently break after one encounter with an animal. I imagine an encounter with a zombie would be the same.

An extremely powerful crossbow like Daryl's will use only carbon-fiber or aluminum arrows. Definitely not wooden ones. A wooden arrow shot from such a crossbow would shatter before it hit the target. It just couldn't stand up to the stress and velocity of the weapon.

The arrows that come with your crossbow (when buying a high quality one like the Stryker that Daryl uses) will be the same as the factory arrows you would buy in any archery shop. You can buy more expensive arrows, of course, but the factory arrows will have acceptable performance. When buying a cheaper bow, the arrows that come with the bow are usually of a much lower quality than arrows that you would buy in your local archery shop. That is why when I buy a bow, I usually buy a set of good quality arrows of the same length and weight that the manufacturer recommends at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

And they are called Bolts usually and it looked to me like he had one already Knocked in the Bow and 3 more in the rack?

16. lvprguy

lvprguy Member

How many times can you hit a zombie with the crossbow before you do damage to the bow itself?

17. Wicklowwolf

Wicklowwolf Member

It's the same principle like make longbow arrows, except that crossbow arrows are much shorter. Therefore no problem getting the materials. All you need is a bit of time to actually make them.

18. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

He found a new crossbow somewhere at the end of Season 3 as far as I know. I think he'll always stick to those kind of weapons.

19. justjoinedtosay

one of joe and co's peeps, the one behind daryl, had a bow (couldn't tell if it was a long bow or a recurve bow...didn't look like a compound bow), with a whole quiver of arrows at his waist.

crossbow bolts are shorter and fatter than bow arrows, and even carbon fire arrows in the real world can snap pretty easily from the crossbow pressure (and slice through your hand in the process), but the show doesn't have to obey the rules of reality (it already showed beth using daryl's crossbow--which, as a hunting crossbow of an experienced bowman, would have about a 200 lb draw, plus crossbows are pretty heavy and make you arm weary really quickly).

but the show adding another bowman with a mess of arrows and having joe comment on daryl's lack of bolts is probably the only way the writers could think of to get him new bolts...since the area seems devoid of sporting goods stores...not even a tractor supply shop...

completely off topic--the long bow/recurve bowman can get off a lot more arrows than daryl can with his crossbow. longbow/recurve bow fire rate averages 10 per minute (highly skilled, 20 per minute) with greater accuracy than the crossbow (3 per minute). compound bow = 5 per minute, easiest to fire accurately, longest feet per second of all (300-400 feet). but the crossbow is better close up and is the only one heavy enough to double as a bludgeon. the recurve bow would be my choice--fast, accurate, light, good feet per second, and most critical, can be folded for ease of transportation.

#19 justjoinedtosay, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  20. cmstomps

cmstomps Member

I swear I saw two arrows mounted on Daryl's crossbow in addition to the one he had cocked when he was pointing it at Joe. So, three arrows? Still, pretty much out of ammo. I thought that guy in Joe's group with the regular bow was doing a shitty job of acting like he had the arrow drawn...I even watched it again because I was convinced there was no string - that he was just holding the arrow.