Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl's scars

Discussion in 'Episode 1007 - Open Your Eyes' started by BlackBird, Nov 18, 2019.

1. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I hope, Connie stays, I have already to cope with Siddiqs death here.

I do hate Marvel/Disney a bit, I get the feeling, they snatch all the actors away for their projects from my favorite fandoms (for example Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock).
    I rather watch Lauren in TWD than in some Marvel show

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

Oh they will give you a Lauren to watch but Lauren Cohan.:D

3. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

Wrong one :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

I'm so happy I didn't know about Siddiq's death. I really do hate spoilers and it takes away from the show. I felt real shock when he died.

I think showing him with his shirt off was showing everything he has been through. I'll take him shirtless snuggling with Dog any day. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s very good advice. And I’m truly sorry about Jesus, - especially as you were his #1 fan!!! He was one of my faves too, and I could never understand why they wouldn’t write more for him. Unfortunately, by the time Angela took over, the actor already stated he wanted out, that was my understanding. The Aaron/Jesus dynamic was so promising, it just made it even worse to see him go when he did, right on the doorstep of some happiness at last, for both of them. I think he is a huge loss to the show.

You guys ever play here the classic “who would you bring back?” game? I think he would be my top choice.

#25 BlackBird, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I would only choose the return of Jesus if I were guaranteed that he would have the bad ass story arc he was meant to have.

My list of who I would bring back is probably a bit shorter than most....
    1. Rick (I know he is not dead but still....he is on my bring back list)
    2. Jesus (again, only if I get my guarantee along with his return :D)
    3. Sasha
    3. Abraham

That is it. And yes, Sasha and Abe are tied!

#26 Dnae, Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Jesus was Gimpled. He would've been an amazing character if Kang had been running the show. She can work miracles because she's even managed to make Daryl somewhat likable now. We also would have had a coherent and riveting All Out War storyline too. If only she had taken over just before they introduced Negan....

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Stealth

I'd go with:

1. Rick
    2. Carl
    3. Jesus

Abraham's death worked for me, because his comic one was very anticlimactic. They shouldn't have done both him and Glenn though. It should've ended there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

You know I have more times than not taken the high road when it comes to trashing Gimple. But I have to say after 1.5 seasons of Angela's hand at the helm the differences in storytelling, character development and the actual flow of the story from one episode to the next is HUGE. I am so thankful that she is the one guiding the Whisperer arc. In Gimple's hands it would have been exactly what I had been fearing - complete and utter rubbish, a bad attempt at fan fiction (he does love to reference fan fiction so it is only fair it is thrown back in his face LOL). I do find myself lamenting that she was not given the job earlier on. Would have been interesting to see how she would have handled All Out War :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stealth

I liked what Gimple did in expanding the Hunters story on the TV side. It was one of the few times that he made something better than it was in the comics. But once they reached Alexandria I think the larger world aspect was too difficult for him to balance. The story became disjointed, partly due to the bottle episodes. He really couldn't integrate it all. Many characters became hollow, or they did things that were not in their nature.

I think the turning point too was in Season 6 when we had the Glenn dumpster dive, and then we ended with the unnecessary cliffhanger. Season 7 was when the ratings decline began too. So if you had Kang there it would've been a much different story not only for the quality of the show, but I think the viewers' interest too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Also she seems to have brought with her a few hand picked writers and directors that were never used during the Gimple era. I would assume that is the norm though.

I am not saying that every step she has taken has been perfect BUT I will go on record as saying that her TWD is more cohesive, the arcs seem to flow back and forth with one another. She is quite deft at juggling multiple arcs not only within a season but even more impressively within an episode. And last but certainly not least she is far better at character development than Gimple could ever dream of being.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Stealth

Yeah, all showrunners will makes mistakes along the way. The closest one to being flawless is Vince Gilligan, but even he's made choices along the way that I haven't agreed with. The bottom line is the overall narrative and character development. Most fans will cut a show breaks. Some things we question, might have payoffs in the long term. And other things can be brushed aside as long as the journey is a good one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BlackBird

I think this is such an interesting question, because it makes you consider these characters in different ways.

Who I would like to have back just because I enjoyed them might need to be reviewed in considering whose death/disappearance has moved the story forward in an interesting way that would not have happened without them gone.

So who do I miss most because I loved their characters?

Rick, Glenn, Jesus, Carl, Hershel, Tyreese, Sasha.

But... Rick's departure has undoubtedly opened up the show in very interesting ways. So I'm ok with him being gone for now, even if I miss him terribly. I'm just not ok with it being 6+ years. I wish there had been only half of that, since his departure. I'd have done the time jumps differently. But it's a relatively minor detail.

Glenn's death was important. Much as I cried like a baby when it happened. It had to be someone that was as close to the heart of the show as possible, because it had to hurt.

Carl's death was also important, and I might be in a minority, but I thought it was actually done very well. I also think it worked out ok, replacing his place in the new story arcs with Henry and Judith. But still, I would have much preferred it if they kept him alive and would have loved to see that alternative story where he lived.

Hershel's death was crucial to the story. I adored the old man.

Jesus' death: utterly pointless, painful waste. He should have lived and be more central.

Sasha: lost to Startrek. Should be still with us. Such a lovely character. And her brother should have lived too. His death was also such a stupid waste. I also thought they wrote out Beth and Noah way too soon. Both characters had interesting potential just before they were killed off. Not to mention the mess they made with Andrea.

So the person I would most want to bring back is the person whose presence on the show would not have altered story lines too much and be a definite bonus is Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Hindsight is 20/20

I agree with, I am okay with Carl's death.

I was on board with you all the way up until Tyreese. I was not sad to see him go. Again, I think he was a victim of Gimple's inability to develop a character.

But you really lost me with Beth LMAO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BlackBird

Ha! Just as well we don't all have identical views of the show and the characters, otherwise this would be a very boring place.

I liked Tyreese from the start, but the moment he picked up Judith when he needed to flee the prison site, this man won my heart. What an incredibly wonderful thing he did, rescuing this child, and continuously risking his own life for her. And how he forgave Carol. He was a good man through and through, and yes, damn Gimple.

Beth... Look. I'm a music teacher. Singing and music means the world to me.
    So here I was, watching a zombie show, full of darkness and despair. And then a sweet little girl, my daughter's age, starts to sing with her sister to cheer up her dad. And everyone starts to listen and you could physically sense the warmth that they've all gotten from that. I couldn't help but adopt her in my heart. And then I obviously loved her episodes with Daryl, and she became such a little badass in the hospital. And noone ever learnt how strong she became there, because she was given the most ridiculous death in the entire history of the show, which then also contributed to Daryl spiralling into caveman for the next three seasons. So yes, I liked her character, and she should have lived at least another season or so, and got a lot more meaningful death, if she had to die at all.

Interestingly, the person I'm not missing at all is Maggie.

#35 BlackBird, Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I am surprised by how little I miss Maggie.

I think it is great for the show that she is coming back if for nothing else than to appease those butt hurt fans who take every exit and death personally. Her return may soften the blow of Michonne leaving for these people :D

But I would much rather see Yumiko take over as leader of Hilltop and have her character be developed as a main

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

"But you really lost me with Beth LMAO"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. BlackBird

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member