Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl's zombie shield

Discussion in 'Episode 408 - Too Far Gone' started by Mr Sinister, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

First of all, I just want to say that I'm a proud supporter of the show and I usually don't complain about petty crap like some casual "fans" constantly do on here. I thought this episode was probably one of the most epic of any television series I've ever seen, and I thought almost everything about it was amazing, although some parts were definitely painful to watch, but in a good emotion inducing way (R.I.P. Hershel). That being said, there was one scene that really stood out to me, but in a negative way. It's the part where Daryl used a zombie he just killed as a shield to protect himself from gunfire. First off, the zombie ended up looking like some cheesy B movie prop to me, just completely stiff like some kind of mannequin. This just felt so jarring to me, because I'm usually impressed with the makeup and visual effects on the show. Did they completely use up all their budget for the main battle so they couldn't even afford to use a more convincing zombie? I won't even get into the fact that Daryl was using a decomposing corpse to stop ammunition from semiautomatic weapons. It just felt really out of place in an episode I was otherwise completely blown away by. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed that too.

#1 Mr Sinister, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. MKnight

MKnight Member

I agree with you. A great episode, but that scene just seemed too forced so that the Daryl fans would get to see their man in action. I think that it was cool that he took out the tank and driver though.

3. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

I just tried to go with it. lol Still, you'd think rotting zombie flesh would tear etc under so much gun fire too. Yeah, not the best idea but I'm glad Daryl got to do some stuff

4. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Another issue is the way he just hoists this zombie up with one arm and walks around with it. If they were that lightweight, why would anyone even fear them? You could just push them out of your way.

5. skittlesloli

skittlesloli Member

I gotta say the clip just before that, with the walker right behind him, my heart stopped a little.

I think that whole bit was not so much a gift to Daryl fans, but a troll of sorts, saying "Hey, we could've killed him just now". I'm glad they didn't but I was bracing myself for a shoulder bite.

Also, I'm not sure how strong Daryl or Norman are, but assuming the walker was originally some 170lbs (N.American male average) minus any blood/gut weight missing, it may not be as hard to carry.
    Also, in the ZA, I imagine that one would get plenty of workout in the upper body and back; seeing how it's been well over a year since this whole shebang started I imagine a <170lb weight wouldn't be entirely impossible when you're rushing with adrenaline and fighting for your life.

6. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

No is the answer dude.I mean the production team has enough money to make twice a episode like this lol,I really dont care what kind of makeup they used on that ''shield'' walker of Daryl...that didn't not matter whatsoever,but the battle did!

7. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

I don't really think too much about realism in this show. It's about a zombie apocalypse so I'm fine with little things like this.

8. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

Posted this in a different thread
    Honestly, how hard would it have been to put the walker in a cop uniform and put a bullet proof vest on it? Yes, I know most vests will not stop rifle rounds, but I would go with it (mainly because they tried to work in reality and the bullets would've had to go through the front and the back of the vest).
    Easy fix and no real change to the script.

9. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

Honestly, I thought it was genius. I too thought he was going to get bit.

#9 Daryl Rocks, Dec 2, 2013
  10. Lotuffi

Lotuffi Member

It was more for comic relief than anything else. I laughed and liked that scene.

11. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

Yeah, that's why it just looked like some cheap prop to me. It's head had no movement whatsoever and Daryl really just looked like he was walking around carrying a zombie mannequin. Like I said, I'm usually not one to complain about things like this, and I can overlook what I consider minor details for the enjoyment of the show, but it just seemed so low quality and campy compared to what I'm used to seeing from the production team, squishy zombie heads notwithstanding.

12. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

To be honest, when the screen cut with that walker sneaking up on him, and it came back showing Daryl advancing on the tank using the walker's body, my first thought was that he had been bitten. I thought that was why he was so completely reckless with his life like that. Sort of like he didn't care if the bullets went through the walker, because he was dead already.

That's just what my mind jumped to first. I think it was just there to show Daryl being a bamf, though. There were a lot of things that didn't make sense in this episode. I'm willing to let it all slide, though, because it was fun to watch.

13. Kevin A. Dixon

Kevin A. Dixon New Member

Actually rifle ammunition, specifically 5.56 NATO rounds which are used by the M4 and M16's(or civilian AR-15's) shown in the battle sequence, are designed to penetrate and then bounce off the organs and bones. Human(walker) shields are not completely far fetched. It is a fact that humans are capable of withstanding multiple gunshots before dying. Most gunshot deaths result from bleeding out or lead poisoning because the bullet remains in the body. The pistol shots, on the other hand, travel at a much faster rate of speed resulting in a straight through injury I.E. an exit wound. But they showed Bob being hit by a rifle from a further distance, which the round would have lost momentum, with an exit wound. Daryl's walker shield being shot at point blank range may have caused the round to go straight through but all the shots hit the chest, in which, they would have stopped completely, bounced around inside the walker or fragmented upon hitting the chest cavity.

14. MerlesRightHand

MerlesRightHand New Member

I hate to sound rude, but your entire post is utter nonsense! Do not try to sound like a ballistics expert when you obviously know nothing about the topic.

"Most gunshot deaths result from bleeding out (I can maybe give you that one) or lead poisoning?" What the....it is well documented that people have been shot and bullets not removed and those people could go on to live the rest of their lives normally. They don't die of lead poisoning.

"The pistol shots travel at a much higher rate of speed". - Almost universally a false statement! The vast majority of handgun cartridges propel their projectile at a lower speed (denoted in feet per second) than rifle cartridges.

You can never say for certain what a bullet is going to do when it hits something, but for the most part a rifle is more likely to completely penetrate a body than a handgun round. You stating that the .223/5.56 rounds would fragment upon hitting the chest cavity is an untrue statement. There are specific bullets that are "frangible", made to fragment on impact to reduce the possibility of pass through and the risk to innocent bystanders, but the "usual" bullet is not going to do so.

I guess it shouldn't irk me so much, but there are many here who do not know much about firearms and they can learn from those who do. Posting false info does not help with the learning process. I have been hunting and shooting since childhood, have handloaded my own ammunition for 20 years, and have tested many different bullets and calibers with chronographs, ballistic test media, actual living animal bodies (hunting) etc. and so on

#14 MerlesRightHand, Dec 2, 2013
  15. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

the walker had on a bullet proof vest on under it's shirt....there is no proof that it didn't...i believe it had a baggy shirt on....Darryl Dixon knows what he's doing!

16. fecto

fecto Member

I don't know what you have been reading but this is so not the case. A round from a rifle such as an m4 will almost always penetrate straight through the human body with ease

17. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

It was kinda funny..sometimes u just gotta go with it.... No way to explain it.. It was flat out Hokey.....

18. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Active Member

I also thought he was using the killed Zed as a temporary decoy to throw them off until he got close enough.
    The raiders still fire on the spot where they think Daryl is and pay no mind to this supposedly random Zed for a brief moment.

19. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

When I saw this scene I thought of the Carol scene when she hid behind Axel. :zombies_lol: It is what it is despite the realism or unrealism in it. As long as they made it believable. I let it slide, because it was a beautiful episode like everyone else pointed out in this thread

20. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

This made me laugh because we also had the scene with Bob getting the girls to check for an exit wound from where he was shot.