Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daryl's zombie shield

Discussion in 'Episode 408 - Too Far Gone' started by Mr Sinister, Dec 2, 2013.

1. CauseTheyreFast

Who cares? It's a tv show...There were plenty of scenes in Breaking Bad that were unrealistic. And the whole plot of Breaking Bad is more realistic than a zombie infested world.

2. Kevin A. Dixon

Kevin A. Dixon New Member

The 2nd Ranger Battalion is a special operations light infantry unit of the United States Army that is currently based at Joint Base Lewis-Mchord south of Seattle, Washington, United States. The 2nd was formed when the battalion was reactivated in 1974 and serves to this day as a battalion of the 75TH RANGER REGIMENT.

Not once did I even say I was in the Korean "war," I merely said I have "been" to Korea. If you really wanted to poke holes in my story, why don't you suit up and head on over the pond into the frigid mountains of Afghanistan or the sand dunes of Iraq. Upon your return, we will discuss if it is plausible to utilize a human as a shield.

Please do not question my Armed Service history if you, yourself, has absolutely no idea what it entails to be a member of an elite force with a main objective of protecting the freedom that you choose to live as a complete dumbass.

3. sam12six

sam12six Member

It's just the way some of our minds work.

I can remember being a tiny kid watching Scooby Doo. While I enjoyed the cartoon, I do recall thinking, "It's a 6'5" dog walking on its hind legs and talking. Wouldn't some of the guys wearing monster costumes be scared of HIM?", or, "After the 50th time in a row that the monster turned out to be a guy in a costume, shouldn't their first action be checking if it's a guy in a costume?"

Some people can say, "It's a show about zombies. It's OK if cars now run on urine.", others of us can't get around the fact that zombies existing would not change the way cars function.

On the topic of this thread, both sides are sort of right. A body can indeed stop a bullet sometimes (though the guy who claims to have been an assassin in the Civil War took things a little far by saying bullets are designed to bounce off organs). On the other hand, with as many bullets as were fired and from the range they were fired, Daryl would have been well perforated behind his dragger (which is a walker you've killed and are now dragging (and off topic, Daryl's damned lucky that was a walker that sneaked up on him and not a biter)). I guess we could pretend that zombie ate a cop and has a ballistic vest in its stomach and that's what stopped the bullets...

4. DeadJoe

DeadJoe New Member

I did my twenty years in the Military and retired, thank you. i have also ran into a big number of people that get the tough guy syndrome online and pose as something they are not, i cant prove that you were in rangers or even in the army, but the statements that you made about ballistics lead me to believe you were not actually in the Armed Forces. So you can resort to name calling if you like but if that is the best you can do have at it.

5. Kevin A. Dixon

Obviously this is where I insult your experiences and treat you like a total douche because "you ran into guys with online tough guy syndrome." When in all actuality I have no need to prove anything to you nor do I care to argue with your complete bullshit any longer.

No, this is where I thank you for your service, Thank you, and go on my way knowing that you have done nothing to prove me wrong or you right. I know what I am, I know what I saw, I know specifically, first hand, what and how munitions react in the heat of battle upon hitting their designated targets.

Thank you for helping this work week go a little faster. I look to future encounters.

6. Wicklowwolf

Wicklowwolf Member

Using a dead body as a shield against automatic rifle fire is unbelievable. But it's frequently done by the movie industry. The alternative would have been Daryl getting killed, something nobody wants to happen.

7. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

If I were to say that once someone became a walker, his body changed to be more absorbent of bullets, there's absolutely nothing one can do to refute that. It's true I can't prove it either. Either way it's speculation, neither side can prove anything in a debate like this. That's just my take.

I can understand that zombies existing doesn't change the physics of the world, but a zombie body DOES change the physics of the human body, so you should be able to suspend your belief when it comes to anything related to what a dead zombie body can do.

Once again, it wasn't a dead human body, it was a dead zombie body. You can't use the physics of a dead human body here, because the two types of bodies could very well possibly have drastically different compositions. The evidence is that when hit by a bullet a zombie doesn't even feel it. Maybe that has more to do with the brain, but also consider that zombies don't seem to exhibit any type of shock on their body parts. Their nerves work differently. I wouldn't be surprised if it was because they were hardened.

With all due respect to our wonderful men and women here who have served for us, unless you have experience with zombie bodies, I don't think you are any more qualified than the rest of us to account for how well a zombie body can take bullets.

#47 Spidey, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

9. Walking Wounded

In the final analysis, if you believe in zombies, anything goes!

10. Kevin A. Dixon

Thank you for that. This makes quite a bit of sense. I think maybe the bodies do harden and the nerves end up dying. It doesn't seem the walkers feel the weather or even breathe for that matter. I thought when they were in the CDC with Jenner, he stated they re-animate with just the basic senses and needs for living i.e. breathing and lust for food but I'm not sure.

So yeah the body of a walker could harden, soften or like a decaying human body could become so brittle the bones break on impact. They have yet to show a walker dying of natural causes lol.

Either way, I believe the human shield is completely plausible.

11. Darylette

Darylette Member

I totally agree. Tv shows are often lousy with guns, look at that random red shirt using a wooden bench to hide behind! I laughed out loud.

12. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

Sorry, on my phone so I might have missed it....

What I haven't seen brought up is why D felt the need to move behind the bulletproof fileing cabinet made by Jesus anyway?? He couldn't throw a gernade another ten feet? Hell most children could have made the distence he was aiming for.

13. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Member

the poster who said it shouldve been a cop/bullet proof vest seems like a good and more believable idea
    maybe the fan-ism for the show speaking..but that part was too brief to bother me.

14. Dan

Dan New Member

I think that the fact it starts with a fantasy premise/scenario makes it even more important to get the details of reality right. The zombie apocolyse is enough. Daryl's action was totally unbelievable. And it did feel forced - like let's give the Daryl fans (I am one) a fix. If zombie bodies don't stop Michionne's sword or the stakes by the gate or a bar thrust through the fence, they won't stop a hail of rifle bullets.

15. Zombie Mouse

Zombie Mouse Member

These kind of scenes are making Daryl look ridiculous.

He's firing a gun, he has his crossbow, oh look, he's got a knife... Not to mention a few hand grenades... Seriously? :zombies_lol:

Walkers get right up in his face, and nothing!

No wonder his fans think he's going to be the only one still standing at the end of The Walking Dead... :zombies_rolleyes:

They've made him into Superman.

It's ridiculous, and the super annoying thing is that if any other character was getting away with this sort of crap, everyone would be all over it saying how stupid it was. But because it's Daryl, we are supposed to be wowed by it? Get out.

16. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

I think Daryl was not hoisting the zombie up above the group as shield as it was just too heavy. It looks like Daryl was pushing him to walk a distance of 5-10 feet. I accept this.

And, I told myself that perhaps in TWD world, zombie flesh is toughened up against bullet penetration. This could be possible and I accept that.

What is least realistic is Daryl hiding behind a file cabinet which should be easily penetrated by bullets. If I remember correctly, the cabinet was an empty one. If it was full of one foot thick paper in the drawers, perhaps it is a different story.

But once again, this is just a TV show and realism has to be taken less seriously.

17. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

Really? Pistol rounds are faster? What color is the sky in your reality?
    5.56x45mm Nato is @ 3000 FPS (this is ROUGHLY equivalent to .223)
    9x19MM (AKA the standard 9mm) is @ 1200 FPS which is MUCH SLOWER. And ANY Ranger would know this.

Your complete lack of knowledge of ballistics tells me you are a wanna be. Probably not a Veteran at all. And before you go off, I AM a Veteran.
    Go back to Mommie's Basement. Buddy.

18. Lawwry...Korral

Lawwry...Korral New Member

A 556 round coming from an M4 would have ripped through zombie, Daryl, and probably 2 other people. .556/.223 travels fast and far. Even if the projectile tumbles. It just wasn't realistic.

19. Lawwry...Korral

Lawwry...Korral New Member

"Are you always this full of shit?"

#59 Lawwry...Korral, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  20. Walker Caravan

He hasn't logged on since February.