Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

"Day of the Dead" Reference

Discussion in 'Episode 415 - Us' started by Walker709, Mar 23, 2014.

1. TeM_YuZai

TeM_YuZai New Member

I lol'd

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

yes lol. whoops.
    I just went back and watched and it was obvious. no idea how I missed it lol. Time to rewatch Day.

3. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

A member of another forum just reminded me that there was technically a smaller reference to Day of the Dead earlier this season. A character on a bed rolls over to have his entrails spill onto the floor, much like the autopsy zombie and Sarah's dream of Miquel. While not a direct character reference like Bub, Stephen, Ben Gardner, etc, I suppose it counts as a small effects reference to Day.

4. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

Yeah I noticed that as well. Season 4 takes place about 1 and a half years after the initial outbreak. Didn't "Day" take place about that time after as well?

5. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

Yeah.

6. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

The exact timeline of dawn and day has been a much discussed topic among fans for decades. There's no real answer, so it's up for debate.

7. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Noticed it instantly. I was so glad to see that. Another great reference from legendary trilogy.

8. Shumpert

Shumpert Member

absolutely - I noticed that also.

no way in hell was that a coincidence
    thank you for posting - I had considered starting a Bub thread, but alas I'm easily distracted

9. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

Def fun for us fans when these lil references make it in, kudos to you TWD.
    Thanks for the pick Loco, can even make out the collar HEHE.

10. YaritoGuerito

YaritoGuerito New Member

The day of the dead reference and cannibal theory

I believe the cannibal theory is one that there are some hints toward but just to throw people off! I believe survivors are being eaten at Terminus but not my Mary and her bunch - in fact they could turn out to be vegetarians, but they have learned they can keep the front of Terminus relatively safe by luring all the walkers to the back where they feed them! I know sounds a bit crazy - but the writers have liked to toy with viewers by making it seem like the show will follow some comic story lines but then throw in a twist. The Bub zombie character from Romero's Day of the Day was actually featured as a walker in the tunnel (coincidence?) and Romero's original intent for Day of the Dead which still was a pretty big part in the the was the film turned out was to look at people who tried to domestic or pacify the living dead by feeding them humans/human meet. TWD has pretty much established that walkers and herds of walkers tend to congregate anywhere survivors tend to set up camp, and then increase in number like at the prison. Why would Terminus appear to have no fences, barricades, people with guns posted as guards? Why would the survivors simply be able to walk up to a lone women cooking something? Cannibalism really doesn't make sense either even in terms of supply and demand! Why would you try to complete with walkers for a pretty scarce and dwindling food supply, why not help funnel that food supply to them, to keep them off your back so you can go about trying to live some relatively normal kind of life - well as normal as you could, considering you need to keep up the ruse of running a safe haven in the midst of a chaotic apocalypse with the pretense of making sure you keep the walkers out back fed and busy so you don't constantly have to be watching out for them! I know it's a stretch, but just think about it for a second! :) View attachment 15751 View attachment 15761

11. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

While it does resemble Bub and folks will call it what they will, nor am I saying that I haven't felt those 'almost as if' moments toom but I could still also see it as somewhat rather unintentional coincidence.

#31 8307c4, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  12. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

It's most definitely intentional. Nicotero did it on purpose. Just like the many other references.

13. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

HEHE seems we have a non believer ...somebody get the rack out:shining:

14. The_Not_So_Dead

Day of the dead's Bub in the collapsed tunnel?

EDIT :
    Late to the party, was already noticed. (And probably need glasses for not seeing this post.)
    TBH I thought it was strange that it wasn't noticed. I'll just blame Daylight Savings.
    Sorry for the double posting...

Wonder if it was the same actor, though...

Previous post:
    Normally I never notice such things, but because I just recently watched this movie, I couldn't help
    but notice that the second Walker which Glenn shines his flashlight on in the tunnel looks a lot like Bub. This Walker even had a collar on his neck, just like Bub and he looked like the zombie a lot (same make-up).

So am I seeing things? (Sorry if this was posted before, I didn't see a thread or comment about this on the threads I read.)

#34 The_Not_So_Dead, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  15. YaritoGuerito

YaritoGuerito New Member

I had actually read an article on a website of an entertainment magazine confirming that they did use Bub in a cameo in the tunnel - but even before that I could not help the gnawing feeling that the cannibal theories were spurred on by one of the comic storylines and in the show were played with to mislead everyone into believing Terminus would follow that but really the writers would throw a curveball in there which may be that people being summoned to Terminus as a safe haven would not be food for the terminus residents but rather food for walkers who were kept at bay by the fact that the terminus folks were feeding them. A sort of echo of the original day of the dead film and a theme more strongly present in the original story/script Romero wrote for Day of the Dead! The shrine/sanctuary scene was interesting and could perhaps play into that as it was obvious from there that terminus residents were a group solely focused on themselves with an ulterior motive to put out a message calling survivors toward them. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. That also brought up another idea I thought would have been cool for Lizzie's story arc for people to have seen her schizophrenic/neurotic beliefs about being able to hear walkers as a sign of her being a new messiah amidst the apocalypse and a following build around her! View attachment 16312

16. TWDeadHead87

TWDeadHead87 Member

That's so funny that they added "Bub" lol, actually when I first saw him I thought it was a coincidence and not intentional...But what they should have done was shown him a bit more, there were some cool looking walkers in that tunnel!

17. The Wolf

The Wolf Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How could have anyone missed Greg Nicotero's homage to the greatest zombie of all time? Bub from 1985's Day Of The Dead.
    The one zombie that still had memories of when he was alive.

18. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Indeed. I loved it when Bub was the only one, a freak of zombie nature. I can't stand that Romero added more like him in LotD. Bub is the one and only time, for me personally, that a somewhat intelligent zombie worked in a serious zombie film. LotD is the last watchable Romero zombie film, and then just barely.

19. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. Big Daddy had potential, as did the entire film, I feel Romero just got too wrapped up in providing a social commentary on the times rather than providing a solid and engaging film first and foremost, as he did with the original trilogy. Diary and Survival are further evidence that he got too caught up in it "meaning something" rather than having that meaning sprinkled lightly throughout a story of surviving the apocalypse.