Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Daybreak

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Neuropyramidal, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This show has the credibility of Z Nation and is focused almost entirely on teenagers. All the ingredients of a cheesecake that I'd normally never even sniff. Several days ago I spotted it on Netflix and cued it up to check out a new zombie series, not realizing it was focused on high school age kids [had I known this, I would have scrolled passed]. This show is a deliberately absurd dramedy, often topping even Z Nation in its ridiculousness, and if you're willing to forego any type of logic or reason, and look passed the concentration on teenage angst, this show is a fun little adventure to hold you over while you wait for something more substantial.

The premise of the show is that suddenly one day a bunch of bombs go off all around the world, which vaporize most people over the age of 18, except for a few who become zombie-like creatures that, instead of growling, continually repeat the last thing they were thinking before they 'died'. Zombies walking around repeating things such as "I used my exercise bike today, so one slice of banana bread won't hurt". And a VERY few adults are still alive who are quasi-normal. These zombies, however, are pushed so far into the background of the show, they are almost a non-entity.

The teenage survivors band together in gangs that are representative of high school cliques. The Jocks [which is subdivided into the football players, the golfers, etc], the cheerleaders, the nerds, the 4-H club, and so on. Some episodes are better than others, and the first episode is perhaps the weakest one, so give it at least a 2 episode chance. At times it had a bit of a Zombieland feel. Despite being built around teenage angst and coming of age drama, I found myself immediately wanting to start the next episode at the credits.

One disclosure. Netflix cancelled the series a few days ago after 1 season, however the ending of season one does have some closure in a twisted way.

#1 Neuropyramidal, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  2. Neuropyramidal

3. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it, but I did watch Black Summer. Did you find it better or worse than that series?

4. Neuropyramidal

I think they are probably on par with each other, but in the end, I feel like I enjoyed Daybreak slightly better. Perhaps just because it is fresher in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I'll check it out at some point then. Black Summer started out decently enough but tailed off toward the end. Overall though I still enjoyed watching it.