Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dealing with alcoholism in the ZA

Discussion in 'Episode 404 - Indifference' started by page, Nov 3, 2013.

1. page

page Well-Known Member

Really? They're actually making this part of the plot? There's a lot more serious stuff to cover than starting AA. Lazy writing or they actually thought that this is something that matters?

2. TexinOhio

TexinOhio Member

This is totally something that would be present in the ZA. People cope or don't in different ways.

3. page

page Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying. I don't think its crazy that this guy wants to have some drinks

4. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a matter of not being able to trust someone who is addicted. Bob almost got himself killed over the bottle and his actions at Big Spot were the catalyst of a disaster. I think Daryl was willing to let bygones be bygones, when Bob was relating what really happened at the BS run, until he saw just how desperate Bob could be. I wouldn't want an alcoholic on watch or carrying weapons in my prison.

5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

It's the 90210 of TWD.

6. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Bring you up to speed, the United States is the world's largest importer of illegal drugs.
    American teenagers have the highest rates of drug and alcohol abuse in the developed world and they are far more likely to be killed by violence than peers in Europe.
    This lost generation, whose unemployment rate is 20 percent, leads the modern world in some of the most dangerous and irresponsible behaviors, according to a new study.

7. AliceKettle

AliceKettle Member

Frankly, I am surprised that that man hasn't died yet. I am also surprised that Daryl didn't just kick him out of the group after that guy tried to snag alcohol and nearly get the rest of them killed a second time.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Lazy writing?? Lazy writing would be if they didn't bring up human issues during the ZA. This creates a very interesting subplot with its own dynamics and tension. Its a ZA but people are still human, and I think using our human flaws to create a deeper TWD world is great. I will enjoy seeing where this goes.

9. Neuropyramidal

What I didn't understand was, Daryl seemed to say that there were no meds in Bob's bag. So he took out all those meds to make room for one bottle? There was plenty of room for both.

10. page

page Well-Known Member

In the zombie apocalypse,
    American teenagers have the highest rates of drug and alcohol abuse in the developed world and they are far more likely to be killed by violence than peers in Europe.
    This lost generation, whose unemployment rate is 20 percent, leads the modern world in some of the most dangerous and irresponsible behaviors, according to a new study.

11. Lori Grimes

Lori Grimes Active Member

I was as pissed as Daryl when I saw the bag wasn't medicine and he risked his life as well as made everyone else stand and wait in a precarious position for a bottle. Yes, I think in the ZA drug abuse and alcohol would be a major issue. Look around, people can barely cope with life already let alone sfa food, no internet...LOL

12. page

page Well-Known Member

It's ok to be an alcoholic in the ZA. I think it's probably expected. The vast majority of people would be hoarding booze not just bob.
    Unlucky Bob happens to be the lone alcoholic in a morally strong group. Let the guy drink and leave him in the prison to kill himself slowly.
    Yes, it's nice to see human flaws but that his flaw is being written into being a jeopardy for the group, I don't buy it.

13. Neuropyramidal

Sure, things like alcoholism could be a big problem in a ZA. And it seems he took meds out of bag to make room for bottle.

14. Stark

Stark Member

But it is crazy to pass on stocking medical supplies to get one bottle of liquor, fight over it with a horde of zombies, and reach for your pistol when someone is about to throw it away.

15. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure about that, either. Was Bob too busy keeping an eye out for something else he could drink, while instructing the others and not gathering meds? Or did he actually discard what he collected? I don't remember seeing him put anything in his bag. Maybe it was just to illustrate how consumed he was, that he only pocketed what was important to him at that moment.

16. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Please. He had a HUGE backpack and ONE bottle of hootch. He had plenty of room for both. I didn't understand that scene at all, as the rest of the backpack would be stuffed with meds. OTOH, if ALL he had was the bottle, his actions were stupid.... but no MORE stupid than Tyreese's when he didn't let go of the zombie

17. Neuropyramidal

That's what I'm saying. But even without that scene, an alcoholic can be a threat to safety in a ZA. You want people in your group to have their faculties with them as often as possible.

18. EvieE

EvieE Member

Well, I think it's possible to have alcoholics in the ZA. I doubt seeing zombies cures someone of alcoholism.

19. Morgotha

I thought he got the bottle BEFORE he got to the room with the meds, or am I remembering it wrong?

20. Morgotha

Most definitely they are a threat. But IF (and with an alcoholic that's a big IF) he's telling the truth, he's the only survivor out of two groups. He's definitely a survivor regardless of his drinking.