Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dealing with alcoholism in the ZA

Discussion in 'Episode 404 - Indifference' started by page, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Darylette

Darylette Member

yeah, exactly. Plus substance misuse is a known symptom of PTSD which many people in za would have. At least by drinking he's in some way coping, other people just go completely off the rails e.g. Shane.

2. rustybag

rustybag Member

Yes, he does not seem like a bad guy..he reminds me of my kitty, who is sweet but clumsy, knocking things over all the time (haha). I would just love to see more of Bob's back story, though, and what his behavior is like when he drinks, and how his past group members died. He's an interesting character.

3. Darylette

Darylette Member

I wonder if it's darker than that and he's actually been responsible for their death in some way, e.g. They've gone mad and he's had to put them down.

4. rustybag

rustybag Member

I'm dying to know too. I hope they don't kill him off yet, I'd like to know more.

5. joshred4

joshred4 Member

Well I'm surprised there isn't more of it...but remember back in season 2, when Herschel went to the bar? It's cool to see which characters use that as a way of dealing with things.

But I see what you're saying, it's a very weak topic in a TV series that is full of heavy and exciting ones.

6. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Alcoholism could be a very big issue in a ZA so how is it a weak topic? He could be causing serious trouble in the show with it.

7. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

Yup, very curious how Bobby was the only survivor of his last two groups being massacred. Thinking this guy is the 'rage virus' carrier and now has brought this pestilence to our group:zombies_cool:

8. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Agreed on all counts.

Because it is boring. Alcoholism is everywhere. It isn't anything new or, IMO, worth seeing again on a TV show that is for entertainment and escape. There are so many other interesting things to explore.

9. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

Bob's two groups more than likely succumbed to the mutated flu virus and Bobby'TheBoozers' nightly pickling rendered him immune. I guess we'll see how the pickle remedy works for the old, now that recovered alcoholic Herschel has taken up residence in 'death row'. Imagine that, in order to survive the 'rage virus' one must carry high test instead of water in their canteens.

10. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

My assumption has been that the prison group most likely has had a ban on alcohol on the premises because of all the problems it could potentially cause. Given the stresses that everyone lives with, having access to liquor could certainly amplify an already bad situation. With Daryl giving the bottle back to Bob, that might nullify my assumption, but it would make sense to have the group not allow drinking, or access to any liquor (or at least, very limited access) within the prison.

I don't think alcoholism is a weak topic within TWD, but would serve as an interesting and very realistic sideline if done well.

11. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I was just looking at that vid above of Daryl grabbing Tyreese's arm, and he isn't even looking at him! Who in their right mind would grab a big agitated man from behind and be looking in the other direction?

12. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Ha! Excellent point. Not a smart move from any angle! It is also disconcerting to see Rick looking down like that. The whole scene looks so much different in this little gif then it felt watching it.

13. DonnyTWD

DonnyTWD Active Member

Some people are just looking for a ''stress free'' time...and by the looks of it alcohol is the most common thing to find,or does TWD need have drug dealers for every group?

anyone see a crackhead?no?it's The Walking Dead,not Pineapple Express

[​IMG]

#93 DonnyTWD, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  14. bassetluv

bassetluv Active Member

Oh, I just can't resist (other Canadians, and esp. Torontonians, will get this):

[​IMG]

15. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

#95 STRINGS, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  16. charlieez

charlieez Member

He put the meds in Michonnes bag, the black backpack. I don't really think it was just about the meds. It was the fact that Bob had just previously opened up to him (Daryl) about how he believed his addiction was what got Zack killed, and then a couple of hours later he was letting the addiction control him again.

I think this had stronger connotations. Daryl comes from an abusive family and his mother was an alcoholic if I remember correctly. He has probably heard the apologies and guilt speeches many times before only to see people go right back to their reckless behaviour. I'm guessing this is why he got so upset.

17. Tepig003

Tepig003 Member

Alcohol might have a lot to do with the plot! What if the reason why Bob isn't sick is cause he has been drinking and the alcohol is like the cure! think about it, why do doctors use alcohol for shots? To clean up!

18. sam12six

sam12six Member

See, my guess is that Bob's two previous groups were a bunch of bullies. They'd snatch his shit out of his hands, search through it and throw away anything they didn't think he should have. They'd then humiliate him by getting in his face and daring him to do something about it. Eventually, like all who are bullied to the point that they have enough, Bob had to either snap or off himself. He snapped and when the smoke cleared, found himself alone and in search of a group that wouldn't treat him like that.

19. toboggajess

toboggajess New Member

I struggle to see how Bob has survived this long...

20. nadine

nadine New Member

didn't want anyone to hear the bottle