Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Ghosts News Dealing with lag

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Ghosts' started by bunstan, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bunstan

bunstan New Member

All of the games I play, I have at least once experienced lag. It seems like games similar to Call of Duty tend to be the hardest hit. How are others dealing with it?

2. Futurelly

Futurelly Well-Known Member

Well, I was recommended to subscribe to a better internet service provider. I chose Xfinity and must say, it is the best decision I've made. Virtually no lag.

3. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the best type of internet service available in Australia (cable) and I still feel the lag. My connection is bloody fast compared to the majority of online players in the country (my connection to the PSN is 50-65Mbps for my download speed, and my upload speed of 2.4Mbps is more than twice as fast as the average upload speed across Australia), but I still get killed by lag all the time. The only thing I can think of that would be causing my connection to lag, is the fact that I live in Perth (the most isolated city in the country, if not the world), so my faster connection speeds are being cancelled out by the distance the signal has to travel for me to play online. But that's just my best guess and there could be a lot of other factors affecting my connection, that I simply don't know about.

Trying to understand lag in online games is extremely complex, because there are so many variables to take into account, and no 2 people have the exact same conditions to compare connections, and find a definitive solution that will work for everyone...

4. MERCURYSB3

MERCURYSB3 Well-Known Member

i posted this once before but really believe this.
    been playing long enough to know when i have a sure kill still lose fight.i watch my kill video and i am not off target
    so i believe this is true. also i have a super internet hook up yet last two nights have had two bar ping on MW3.check out these videos.it is what it is..:rip::rip::rip:

#4 MERCURYSB3, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
  5. Gambit11B

Gambit11B Well-Known Member

Uh oh..... better keep that aluminum foil on your head.....

I play on the XBone and only experience lag maybe 2% of the time, and I mostly play the eSports playlists, where there aren't too many people playing. I'll be honest, I can 'feel' the difference between playing on the XBone and the 360....and it definitely 'feels' more responsive and fluid on the XBone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chingling

Chingling Member

Lag does not only depend on speed of internet, but also latency. When I would game in Thailand, I had one of the best ISPs there. However, my lag would be horrible, because the majority of the servers I would connect to would be out of country. However, back in the states I have Charter, and lag is no longer a problem at all. Most of the time I am the host.

7. pleirosei

pleirosei Member

Also, the issue is that you guys are not on dedicated servers. If it were dedicated servers, there would be little to no lag at all. The person hosting the server will always have no lag, and will always be in the advantage. On dedicated servers, however, no one is lagging, and there is more of an even playing field.

Why COD has gone away from dedicated servers is beyond me. I guess it cost them money they wanted to save. It has hurt the multiplayer experience. There will always be nonsensical lag when our own ISP are hosting the servers.

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Member

I agree man. You can have the best speeds, and there will always be a tangible that will screw it up. Distance from near by players, host server locations, other players have crappy speeds. It gets annoying.

9. tf182

tf182 New Member

Lag is just something that we will always have to deal with. Yes we can minimize the effects of it, but there will still always be at least a fraction of it there. The bottom line is there will always be some sort of factor whether it be distance, internet speed, or interference of some sort, we will just never be on the same playing field as if the people we were playing are sitting right next to us.

10. pleirosei

pleirosei Member

Guys, the issue is no dedicated servers. If there were dedicated servers, that would drop the lag dramatically. Then it would by far only be based on distance, which really isn't lag I guess. The issue with no dedicated servers, is there is far more packet loss as a result. An in-home internet connection is simply not really meant to handle 5v5 gameplay.

Dedicated servers, however, can support an enormous amount of players. I remember in 2000 and 2001, playing quake 2, would be games of 16 v 16, 32 v 32, etc. Always successful for the most part. Look at Battlefield 4; those are dedicated servers, and that is why the multiplayer experience is so smooth. Also, with dedicated server, the likelihood of everyone playing at a server very close to them increases dramatically.

I live in Indiana. 99 percent of the time I ping 18 and below to Chicago servers, 40-60 to Texas, 30-50 to Atlanta, 40-50 to NYC, 40-45 to D.C., 35-40 to Virginia. Of course you can notice the difference in gameplay due to ping; but most lag comes as a result of packet loss. Even if the person lives next door to you; if they are hosting, with bad upload speeds, you are going to get lag and packet loss dramatically.

Whenever the COD developers decide to return to dedicated servers, the multiplayer gaming experience is going to be horrendous.

11. jdroc

jdroc Member

I thought lag was due to running wireless. However, I ran ethernet last night. Still got lagged out and it sucks. It makes crappy players seem to be the best in the world. Sometimes I can get the timing down and make it work to my advantage.

12. pleirosei

pleirosei Member

Sometimes wireless can be a big factor, since the connection speed over wireless will always be slower and capped, compared to the speed over ethernet. However, when you are playing peer to peer, it doesn't really matter. Your connection's download speed will always be faster than the other persons upload speed 99 percent of the time. You could have a 50mbps down connection, but if the other person is only doing 2mbps up, the equivalent of 200 kilobyes( LOL ), you will never download the data any faster than 2mbps.

Dedicated servers are on internet connections that are faster than the internet connections found in our homes. They have the upload bandwidth to handle 12, 24, 48, 96, 128, players even. Our little internet connections can barely handle 1, let a lone 9 others. InfinityWard, stay stackin' cash, but not given gamers what's best for their user experience.

• Like Like x 1
  13. edthebig

edthebig Member

This and noobtubing back in the day, have been the only reasons why I have ever ragequited a COD game. Also when I was about to call in a Nuke Strike and one of real life friends that was playing with me went and killed me...that dick. Anyways yes, that is reason enough for me to stop playing.

14. Servace

Servace New Member

If you are playing wireless then maybe you need to port-foward. I think a cable connection is better.

15. secretlytaco

secretlytaco Member

I'm not sure why port forwarding would help. That's only really important if people need to connect to you on a port that's usually closed. A cable would help though.

16. SuperiorCallz

SuperiorCallz New Member

I admit, lag has caused me to rage quit more than once. It's super annoying and I wish that there was a simple fix to it, but that's mostly just up tot he developers of the game and implementing dedicated servers, although, something that can definitely make an improvement is connecting via an Ethernet cable.

17. muffinman19981998

muffinman19981998 New Member

Just get yourself a better ISP. I have lagged many times and grown upset, haha.

Get a good pack with XFinity and you won't regret it. I don't have barely any lag any more. It was a good decision.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Member

It depends on the location of the servers, maybe you're not somewhere with a good connection. I have a mild problem with lag but I got used to it, nothing too big.