Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dexter

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by RIPRV, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Stuff&Thangs

Stuff&Thangs Well-Known Member

Nope, I'd just skip to all the good stuff in season 4.

2. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Ugh I can't skip shit. It's not in my nature. I am never going to get through 3. lol

3. Stuff&Thangs

Stuff&Thangs Well-Known Member

You are a masochist you are.

4. PepperAnn

I'm gonna go with that mind-set to get me through 3. :p

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

It's a tough season, but I wouldn't say skip it. Just having the full background of Dexter as you going into Season 4 makes it worth it.

You might want to quit at the end of Season 4 though and pretend the series ended there.

6. Shadow

Shadow Member

I wouldn't, season 7 was one of the best seasons imo.
    I liked it more than season 4, but maybe that is because the season 4 finale was totally spoiled for me. Season 3 was a bore.

7. PepperAnn

Getting the full background is exactly why I can't bring myself to skip anything. LOL on the rest of what you said. I have heard this.

season 7 is the last yes? Too lazy to check. :p

I'm glad I am not the only one who finds 3 boring.

8. Shadow

Shadow Member

It should have been, but there's still a season 8, that's the last one. I enjoyed it more than most people seemed to do. I think it was good, but not for a final season. In season 7 I was most of the time on the edge of my seat, the stakes were so high for a couple of characters (I won't spoil anything) and I really felt with them. While in season 8 they started to introduce too much new characters and the stakes were lowered with them. I would have liked it better if they built further on season 7 more, with giving already existing characters we more or less care about a more intense storyline.

But hey, we have to admit Dexter doesn't have bad seasons, the overall quality is great in comparison to other shows.

9. PepperAnn

Yeah I do agree with that. Although I am trudging through season 3 it's still good enough to hold my interest. Otherwise I would just quit the show in it's entirety. lol

I might just do a massive binge and get through all the rest of season 3 in one sitting and then enjoy 4 a little slower.

10. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

Season 4 is definitely better than 3. I'm only 5 episodes in but can't wait to see where they go with it. One question.

11. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

Oh ya, and it is awesome to see "Dick Solomon" again.

12. Stealth

That's too bad that the Season 4 finale was spoiled for you. But it wasn't just the last episode for me. I thought Lithgow was amazing in his role and he seemed to bring out something more even in Michael C. Hall. The "Hello Dexter Morgan" episode was great and the Thanksgiving episode was brilliant. They packed a lot of stuff into that season.

My preferred ending would've been the Season 4 one, but the Season 7 one would be second for me. The show just lost its way too much though in Seasons 5 and 6. I agree though that Season 7 was superior to those two, but I liked Seasons 4, 1 and 2 over 7.

Unfortunately I just couldn't find anything redeeming in Season 8. I did though have some hope during the first few episodes of it, but that quickly faded. It's too bad too because Dexter Morgan is one of the best TV characters of all time.

Once Pepper Ann is caught up maybe we can all have a more detailed discussion about the show.

13. PepperAnn

I totally slowed down on Dexter because I was having such a hard time getting through season 3. Ended up picking it back up a few weeks ago and season 3 got better and it's rolled along quite nicely since then. Just started the final season. LOVED season 7 with Deb knowing about Dexter. She's going through her issues with what happened with LaGuerta right now. I expect to be completely finished by the end of the weekend. :D

14. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

Carpenter is brilliant at the beginning of 8 as well as in the scene At the end of 7 with Laguerta. I would have actually preferred to have seen that kind of reaction from her when Dexter admitted to being a serial. Hannah ruined 7 for me. Easily my most hated character in TV history.

Im season 1 all the way. Brian is my second fav antagonist all time behind only Hannibal. Born Free provided me with the best plot twist I've ever seen and is still my all time fav episode of any show.

#134 Necrophile213, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  15. Tortuous

Tortuous Member

Favorite season was first and least favorite was last.

After season 4 whole series changed compulately different and Dexter started second quessing himself...

16. Stealth

The Hannah stuff was a mess, and the final season was an epic disaster.

For me the quality of Seasons 1, 2 and 4 sat on a separate plane than the rest of the show. Then the other seasons ranged from decent to embarassing.

17. Necrophile213

I feel the same, but I enjoyed 5 a lot, too. As you said, not on the same level with 1,2, and 4, but pretty solid. Every time I see the word Bethyl all I can see is Hannah all over again

18. Stealth

Yes, I'd give Season 5 a decent grade. It's probably the best of the rest. The Quinn and Liddy stuff that season was good. And if they wanted to give Dexter a relationship in the last couple of seasons they should've just brought Lumen back instead of the idiotic Hannah storyline.

I still think they could've salvaged the end a bit in the last season if they just had Dexter rebel against Harry's code and blame him and Vogel for what he had become. Would've been a nice to twist to toss Matthews in there as having worked with them both. But the path they chose was so convoluted, and the Brain Surgeon was like TWD's hospital arc, very unconvincing. Of course the above scenario would include no Hannah in the final season too.

19. Necrophile213

Completely agree that it should have been Lumen if that was the direction they were heading. Brain Surgeon was not a bad character. Just a poorly executed story arc, IMO. Way too many unnecessary connections. He should have never turned out to be her son and they should have went with the format they used in season 4 with Mitchell. Introduce him at the beginning of the season and let the viewer follow him throughout the season they also seriously dropped the ball with Zach. Sam Underwood was brilliant in the role of a serial killer in The Following. I just wish that they would have approached the ending that mirrored how things should have turned out for a serial killer as opposed to making sure to leave the door open for a spinoff. It tore me to pieces. This was my favorite show for years. I was far more passionate about Dexter than I am TWD.

20. Stealth

Oh yeah, I loved the show too. They also carved out some great characters on that show initially, so it's clearly the writers that blew it.

I remember watching the finale of Season 4 and telling people that the show should've ended there. It's not that I still didn't enjoy Dexter, but I didn't see how they could ever top that moment. In retrospect too it would've been the best ending with Harrison there coming full circle to Dexter's "born in blood" beginning. The show would've been remembered with Breaking Bad as a classic.