Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did anyone else catch this?

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by surviving, Mar 21, 2016.

1. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Dwight tells Daryl he wasn't actually aiming for Denise. He hit Denise because of the kick of the crossbow. He refers to the kick of the crossbow twice. One hell of a kick. Only one problem with his statements crossbows have no recoil "kick". Error on writers behalf.

2. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Interesting- I've never fired a crossbow so I didn't have the frame of reference. Just figured stick boy Dwight couldn't handle it.

3. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Dwight was being an asshole. He murdered Denise with Daryl's own crossbow and he wanted to gloat for as long as he could.

4. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

5. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

Anything that's firing a projectile is going to have some kind of recoil. Obviously it's not going to have the recoil of a .308 or .50 sniper rifle, but it's still going to have a bit of kick.

6. forceten

forceten Member

My crossbow or compound bows don't really have a kick. But if you anticipate the shot as you fire - and move the bow before the bolt or arrow leaves - you are gonna mess up your shot. Same with a handgun

So if this were the real world - when the string releases there is a bit of a thwak feel on the bow (both kinds). If you never shot before - you could be anticipating this and moving before the arrows is fully gone. You are supposed to have as light of a grip on a bow as possible so you don't move your shot. Especially on a compound bow - your grip should be so loose, that the bow can almost fall down after your shot. Same with a crossbow - light. Dwight could have a death grip on the crossbow and - messed up shot.

So not kick - but the shooter is holding too tight from lack of experience

7. surviving

There nothing happening to create a recoil. All the force is moving away from you.

the string moving forward is the reaction to the string being pulled back. This would make the sum of all forces zero.

8. surviving

I agree with what youre saying. No recoil. Just a vibration when string returns to normal position.

9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Not exactly. The energy of the string moving forward was provided by the energy put into pulling the string back, but that's not the same thing as saying there is no tension between the string and the rest of the weapon. Once the string is pulled back, it creates tension between the string and the hardware it is connected to. I'm not a weapons expert, but this really does fall under Newton's third law. Is there a reaction that most experts would call a 'recoil' when a crossbow is used? Probably not, but its also not true to say the force is zero on the bulk of the weapon. A tension is suddenly being released, which will cause an opposite reaction from the weapon. But you are probably right in that it wouldn't be considered what most people call a recoil that would actually effect their aim.

#9 Neuropyramidal, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  10. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Newton's 3rd Law and the Conservation of Momentum are still in effect. Whatever forward momentum is put into the bolt is balanced out by backwards momentum in the crossbow and its holder.

The "thwak" (recoil) may not be very large, but there is one. I suppose that a well designed crossbow will fire accurately whether it is being held tightly or loosely, provided it is being aimed properly when the trigger is pulled.

ETA: The term for a change in momentum is "impulse".

ETA: We went around and around with the OP before when discussing the braces of the ASZ walls. Although he claimed then to have education in engineering (mechanical, I think), a lot of the things he said were nonsensical, to the point that I figured that he is a troll. This thread confirms that.

#10 westwingnut, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. forceten

forceten Member

I been shooting bows for maybe 10 years now - much more skill needed in a compound bow then a good crossbow. Not sure how many of you guys have shot bows - any kind before. A tight grip on a regular bow is gonna make you miss as you torq the bow a bit.

But not so much on a crossbow. I bet if i had all of you over at my house i could put 90% of you on one of my crossbows for the first time ever - and you are gonna hit your target 5 out of 7 times. Crossbows are much easier especially at short distances. First time my wife shot a corssbow she bullsyeyed easy. But then again she is a better shot than me on a compound too. And now guns also. I think its has something to do with women just having better concentration then us guys.

12. surviving

You are looking at the mechanics of this wrong. The string being pulled back is the action. The trigger locks the string in place pulled back. At this point the reaction is stored as potenial energy until the trigger is pull. When you pull the trigger the string moves foward hence the reaction. The twang is the string vibrating. The vibration is the dispeling of energy from the strings sudden stop.

13. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

A force is pushing an arrow forward. the same amount of force must push the bow backwards, regardless of what parts it goes through to get there.

I'd imagine the reason there's less "kick" is that given the arrow (bolt?) is traveling much slower than a rifle bullet, its overall kinetic energy is much lower, so there's really less force to feel.

14. Remus

Remus Member

He lied. He was just being an asshole and taunting Daryl.

15. RarreKZ

RarreKZ Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he just said it to taunt Daryl, as it was HIS crossbow. Dwight even slightly smiled when he said it.

16. Neuropyramidal

The potential energy stored when the string is pulled back goes into doing two main things. 1)shooting the arrow forward 2)pushing the bow back, in accordance with Newton's 3rd law. It may be a mild force, compared to some projectile weapons, but it still exists. You're looking at it wrong. Just because the potential energy comes from the act of the string being pulled back, doesn't mean that ALL that energy is transferred to propelling the arrow forward.

17. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

To your point on female shooters: as an instructor one thing I have noticed is that women have a tendency to squeeze the trigger and allow the gun to surprise them - resulting in greater accuracy, whereas some males pull or slap the trigger - over-muscle the firearm resulting in diminished accuracy.

So important to get the basic mechanics right and develop good habits.

Now to your invitation to come shoot the crossbow.. I'm in, esp. if BBQ afterwards!

18. surviving

No. The string does not push the bow back and all of the energy is moving forward. Sum of forces must balance and equal zero. How does the string moving forward push the bow back? The string moving forward is the reaction, not the action. For the bow to kick the release of the would have to be action not the reaction. Force can not arbitarily change direction.

19. Neuropyramidal

lol, you are completely ignoring Newton's third law. Of course some of the energy goes into making the bow move back.

The sum of the forces do balance and equal zero. Potential energy in string = forward force on arrow + backward force on bow. Your mistake is thinking that all the potential energy in the string must be transferred to the arrow, which is not true. It is transferred into a force on both objects that it is connected to. The bow and the arrow.

#19 Neuropyramidal, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  20. Neuropyramidal