Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did anyone else catch this?

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by surviving, Mar 21, 2016.

1. AAG331

AAG331 Member

Like I said...kick's like a bitch. :)

2. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
    Im not ignoring the thrid law. The string can not move forward unless you pull it back. So the string moving forward is a reaction not action. Whether an arrow is present or not has no effect on what we are discussing. You are trying to turn the forward motion of the string into an action. What you are saying is that you have an action with two reactions with one opposite of the action and one in the direction of the action. Doesnt work.
    Cant watch the video at work. will watch it when i get home.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

You're confusing what the action and reaction are here. The tightening of the string vs. the release of the string are not the action/reaction in this case. The tightening of the string is just the original source of the potential energy. The 'action' here is the potential energy being converted into kinetic energy of the arrow as the string is released. The 'reaction' the slight recoil of the bow.

4. 1Izwho1iz

1Izwho1iz New Member

Have you shot a crossbow?

Anyone who says a crossbow kicks like a bitch doesnt know what theyre talking about. The video of the crossbow moving one or two inches with no one holding it is supose to show a kick? A 12 gauge shotgun will move your entire body, with you holding it firmly and braced for the recoil, that is kick. When i fire my crossbow i dont even feel it hit my shoulder. No joke there is more recoil in my 22 cal air rifle than my crossbow. The arrow does not push back against the bow. It is feather lite. The crossbow stores energy by pulling the limbs. When the trigger is pulled, the string returns to its normal position causing the arrow to fly forward. The energy is going forward. Alot ofcrossbows will twist when shot. None of them will kick like a bitch

5. Neuropyramidal

Its meant to show that Newton's third law is intact, as explained. The crossbow moves one or two inches, showing there IS a force in the opposite direction, even if its mild. As was quite clearly explained.

6. CarlsEye

CarlsEye Member

Three pages of Newtonian physics... I just came here to say I really wanted to hear the rest of her dialog. Where was she going with that heartfelt speech? Am I the only one that feels cheated?

7. surviving

Newton third law does not apply to energy only force. Force and energy do not have the same units and are not interchangeable.

8. Neuropyramidal

You've confused what the action and reaction are here.

9. surviving

no i am not confused. Explain to me how i am confused.

10. Neuropyramidal

I did already. Above.

11. surviving

No Google Does newton third law apply to energy?

12. Neuropyramidal

I realize you are trying to protect your OP. But its not so. Its been shown many times above.

the act of tightening the string is not the 'action' here. Its just the original source of the potential energy. The action here is the conversion of the potential energy into kinetic energy of the arrow. The reaction is the backwards force of the bow.

13. surviving

If it takes 80Lbs of force to pull the string back, when the trigger is released the string exerts 80lbs forward. It works exactly like a spring. And no you are appling the third law to energy. doesnt work.

14. Neuropyramidal

You need to step back and think about what you are saying. Just watch the video for your proof.

The tension in the string forces the arrow forward, and also forces the bow back. Its 101 third law at work.

15. surviving

Ill watch the video. We can discuss this some more tomorrow. K? its bedtime

16. Neuropyramidal

Yes, perhaps you need to sleep on it.

#36 Neuropyramidal, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  17. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

If the question is: is there a recoil? The answer has to be a 'yes', physically speaking.

If the question is: can I feel the recoil? The answer is 'it depends'. Some bows and arrows give a relatively larger recoil while some give a smaller recoil. But regardless, it all depends on the individual archer. Some feel it and some don't.

So, it is small but it is not zero.

Example 6.3 in the college physics textbook might be a good refresh.
    https://books.google.com.hk/books?i...BNEQ6AEIKTAC#v=onepage&q=arrow recoil&f=false

Imagine the table in the video is zero friction ice (and ignoring air drag...etc), the bow will begin to slide backward after firing. That is the recoil....a small one but it is there.

Whether this small recoil can be called a 'kick' (assuming it means 'large'), this is another matter.
    Could this be due to the ignorance of the writers?
    Or, could this be the writers do know the recoil is small but they purposefully put the words into Dwight's mouth (twice) to make this character teasing Daryl?

18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I also felt a little "cheated" but considering the context of her speech prior to damn dwight I am of the mind set that she was simply saying - live a well meaning life, be your brave selves and stop using the fear of loss as your protective wall, recognize your strengths and your worth. Of course, that is just my take on the scene.

19. 1Izwho1iz

1Izwho1iz New Member

Yes it is clearly explained. The video proves it. You are just wanting to argue. If that crossbow on the table kicked like a bitch it would have jumped off the table. Not moved two inches. You are telling me what you read in a book. I am telling you what i know for a fact. My crossbow does NOT kick. Compare that to my 30.06 high powered rifle that will leave a bruise on your shoulder. You can talk about isaac newton or fig newton. Doesnt matter. Im not arguing about slight recoil that you may or may not feel. Im talking bout term kicks like a bitch. That is not true. You can argue with people who have been shooting weapons all their life all you want to. A crossbow does not kick like a gun does.

20. Neuropyramidal

Yawn.