Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did anyone else catch this?

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by surviving, Mar 21, 2016.

1. 1Izwho1iz

1Izwho1iz New Member

Also the weapon can kick all it wants to its not going to throw ur shot off. If that weapon is sighted in, you will hit regardless of kick. I think the reason for the line was to scare the viewers into thinking D was in danger of dying. That dwight was gonna kill darrell. To make people think anyone can be killed.

2. forceten

forceten Member

Yeah the kick isn't gonna mess the shot up - but a shooter trying to anticipate the kick would. My crossbow has no kick. But if you anticipated the thawk of the string and limbs - or maybe in your head you think it should have a kick - you could push the crossbow down as you fire - trying to compensate for some non existent kick and shoot low or to the side. More low than anything.

On a compound bow - you could easily torq the bow and shoot left or right.

Like others said - just the writers giving dialog that seems to make sense, unless you think about it. And can easily be explained by D just messing with daryl.

the walking dead - like so many other tv shows isn't based at all in reality. So either you sit back and enjoy the entertaining ride - or you walk away going too fake, can't watch it :)

3. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

I watched the video. I have a slightly different outlook today. Ill concede it does have a negliable amount of kick. The string isn't what holds the potenial energy. It merely transfers the energy from the arms of the crossbow to the arrow. Releasing the string doesnt cause the kick, the kick occurs when the arms move past the point of rest in the opposite direction and snaps back to the point of rest toward the stock. Actually this is Newton first law and third law in action.The remainder of the energy is dispeled by the strings vibration. I do stand by my statement that Newton laws do not apply to energy, only motion and force.

#43 surviving, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Newton's third law is at work as well. And yes, potential energy is stored in the string. The backward kick is indeed caused by the string. Below is a video of a simpler third law model using a rubber band instead of a string. But we finally agree that there is a backward reaction, so we can have a beer. ;)

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=1486e79b4215712bf42039e4dc445d42&action=view

#44 Neuropyramidal, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. surviving

The string isnt elastic like a rubber band. The arms would be considered to be flat springs for purposes of doing any caculations. Thhe arms are where the energy is stored.

6. Neuropyramidal

It doesn't matter if it has the elasticity of a rubber band. The string holds tension, which is what matters. Even if the arms were immobile, the effect would be present according to Newton's third law. You're getting closer. Watch the next video.

7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I think the moral of the story is...when Daryl is holding the crossbow up against his manly shoulder, it doesn't have a kick. When Dwight is holding it in his spindly little Dwight arms, there is a kick.

Although i think he said that just to mess with Daryl! I'm pretty sure he was aiming right for Denise.

8. surviving

Crossbow strings do have some elasticity. But the elasticity of the string serves to dampen the recoil of the bow. The string absorbs the energy from the arms. This is why a lot of people don’t feel the kick and only feel a vibration. The vibration of the string occurs very quickly after the kick and would seem to be part of the vibration. The vibration dispels the remainder or the energy. Any weapon that you can dampen the recoil becomes more accurate. On a side note not everything in tension holds energy.

9. Neuropyramidal

Even if the arms were immobile, and only moving parts of the entire contraption were the string and the arrow [and the notch to release the string], you would still have the third law at play, and there would be the backward force and motion.

10. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Not sure how I missed this thread. Before I gave up on all forms of stupid archery hunting, I tried crossbows. There is zero kick. Chalk up another weaponological error to the show where Glocks have safeties.

11. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

From an engineering standpoint, the proper term is "negligible" kick.

I'm curious to hear from the crossbow users, if they can confirm the OP's claim that a crossbow will have more forward kick than backward kick. From a pure Newtonian physics standpoint, this cannot be possible. However, humans may experience things differently than the physical reality.

12. HondaS2kXD

Phhpbt.

It's not forward. There is a tiny "jump" I'd say. But it definitely doesn't "kick like a bitch." I'd say it's somewhere just a little bit more "kick" than a .22lr mp5 lookalike I have.

13. HondaS2kXD

One thing crossbows do have that rifles don't: if you put your thumb too high, the string is going to hit it and it's gonna hurt like a motherf*cker. But it's still not "kick."

14. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I just got a Fallout: New Vegas mod where I get crossbows. It's fun. Also my main character in Skyrim uses a crossbow.

That is all I can add.

15. HondaS2kXD

I prefer my character in Far Cry 4 who uses a regular bow, with explosive/incendiary arrows.

16. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

Im totally going to refer to this thread when I join the new gun/archery range opening up in my neighbourhood. Maybe in a few months Ill at least understand any minute bit of what you guys are talking about, lol.

17. WalkingBuckeye

WalkingBuckeye Well-Known Member

Seems like part of the argument involves the distinction b/w movement, however slight, and kick. It seems like there's a majority opinion that firing a crossbow would result in movement, per the laws of physics, but nothing approximating a kick. Thus we're left with the conclusion that Dwight said what he did as a way of baiting Daryl, rubbing it in that he'd been using his crossbow. Almost like stealing someone's wife and telling them it had taken you a few go-'rounds to get used to what a total kink-bomb she was in the sack.

18. Neuropyramidal

Yes, the force is slight, and nothing that would cause a mishap of aiming, and Dwight was definitely just being sarcastic.

19. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

It's possible that Dwight was aiming at Daryl, but missed because he gripped the crossbow too tightly, as a couple of posters have suggested. Then, in typical fashion, he blamed his inaccuracy on the crossbow's kick.

Or else the writers don't give a fudge about accuracy when it comes to weaponry.

ETA: An appropriate West Wing scene. It's not too much of a stretch to say that the NCIS franchise got its start here.

[video=youtube;qP1UTy4YwbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP1UTy4YwbM[/video]

#59 westwingnut, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. Expat-N-America

Expat-N-America Active Member

You had me at "The West Wing...."

Im a HUGE fan of WW, btw. Like HUGE.

I do think Dwights comment was to let Daryl know he was aiming for him, not Denise. A warning. Plus, to make him feel like crap.