Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did anyone else catch this?

Discussion in 'Episode 614 - Twice as Far' started by surviving, Mar 21, 2016.

1. CarlsEye

CarlsEye Member

Fair enough. I do wish she had been on the talking dead though. She is such a great actress

2. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Awesome! Greatest show ever.

I still post about TWW from time to time at this site. It's the successor to Television Without Pity.

3. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I wonder if TWDF will still be up and running 10 years after its last air date...considering how slow it is during the hiatus i will guess no lol.

4. westwingnut

There's about 8 of us left from the old days who still post about West Wing. It's pretty slow. I post about 3 or 4 times a month.

If this site ever goes down we'll just have to find another place to post about Walking Dead. We'll have a great time for the two or three days before we're all banned.

5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely! If we've learned anything from the fall of the prison, we need to have a meeting place planned in advance! One that we can go cause trouble in and get all kinds of threads closed and then be like:

[​IMG]

6. surviving

surviving Well-Known Member

The rubber band is more analogous with the arms of the crossbow. When you pull the rubber back it stores potenial energy. When you let it go it releases it energy. The same thing happens when pull the trigger on a crossbow. The string merely transfers the energy from the arms to the arrow. Also the string does not cause the kick. If you would like I can explain what happens when you **** and fire a crossbow using all three of Newton Laws of Motion.

7. surviving

The rubber band is more analogous with the arms of the crossbow. When you pull the rubber back it stores potenial energy. When you let it go it releases it energy. The same thing happens when pull the trigger on a crossbow. The string merely transfers the energy from the arms to the arrow. Also the string does not cause the kick. If you would like I can explain what happens when you **** and fire a crossbow using all three of Newton Laws of Motion.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'll pass on the explanation considering 2 days ago you didn't even know there was a kick, and tried claiming it 'didn't work' that the third law could be at play here. :p. The tension in the string does indeed provide both the forward motion of the arrow and the backward force/motion of the bow. Even if the bow was just a solid cross with no mobile parts and the string was the only mobile part of the contraption, when it released it would still cause the arrow to go forward and the bow to go backward. The tension in the string is what provides the force in both directions.

#68 Neuropyramidal, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  9. 1Izwho1iz

1Izwho1iz New Member

I cant blieve you are still going on about this. Anyone who has ever shot a crossbow will tell you there is no kick. Acrossbow is simply a standard bow on its side. The stock and body of the crossbow replaces your arms. You ever heard anyone ever say wow that bow kicks like a btch? A slingshot is basically same principle. Sure some vibration. Some twistng of arms, but no kick. Wherever you live in the u.s. you have to be somewhat close to some kind of sporting goods place that sells crossbows. Alot of them have demo bows and indoor ranges. Find out for yourself.

10. surviving

Just releasing the string will not push the bow back in either scenerio. You can not have action and reaction simultaneously. The forward motion of the string does not cause backwards force. Another force has to be introduced to change the direction of the forward force. Newtons First Law.
    An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

11. Neuropyramidal

releasing the string will push the bow back in that scenario. Third law, again.

12. Neuropyramidal

Yawn. What straw man are you fighting with?

13. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

The force is moving away from you, but for every forward force there is an equal rearward force exerted upon the person holding it. The recoil of a crossbow is small, but it's still there.

The force of a car slamming into a wall and the wall exerting a force back into the car sums to zero (excluding friction, drag, and other non-conservative forces), but that doesn't mean you're not going to feel it.

14. surviving

You do not fell the force of the kick until the arms hyper extend and return toward the point of rest. Releasing the sting does not create the kick. When you release string, all motion forward governed at Newtons second law. The string is accelerating forward and will not decelerate until they pass the point of rest. Nothing is exterting a backward force until the arms hyper extend and begins to return to rest. The arms are where the energy is stored and released. They would be considered flat springs for the purpose of calcs. I'm not debating whether there is a kick but what actually causes it.

15. westwingnut

I'm wondering how much longer this discussion thread can go.

In West Wing threads, I've sometimes used the phrase "we're stuck on Dupont Circle" to describe this kind of dynamic.

16. WDHunter

WDHunter New Member

I was re-watching this episode and thought I'd try to shed some light on this.

As a hunter, I use a crossbow, rifle and shotgun on a pretty regular basis. As per Newton's third law, there is recoil from a crossbow, caused by the 400 grain bolt/arrow. It doesn't "kick like a bitch" though; nowhere near it.

Here's the breakdown.
    The Stryker Strykezone 380 used in the episode puts out a maximum of 125 foot pounds of energy. It sounds like a lot until you put it into perspective.

A 30-06 rifle puts out up to 3360 foot-pounds.

A 12 gauge shotgun puts out 2000 to 3000 foot-pounds.

A .410 shotgun puts out 400 to 600 foot-pounds.

Even though the energy carried to the target is high, the felt recoil by the shooter is much less. But wait, this violates Newton's third law, doesn't it? No, you have to take into account the weight of the crossbow/firearm.

A .410 has about 7 lbs of recoil.

A 12 gauge has 20 to 50 lbs of recoil

A 30-06 has about 20 lbs of recoil.

A crossbow has about 1.2 lbs of recoil.

From personal experience I can tell you that crossbows have so little kick, it's almost unnoticeable. Less than what you feel when you catch a baseball.

So, why did Dwight say it "kicks like a bitch"? He must've been joking to get Daryl's goat.

There are all sorts of ballistic charts and calculators that you can look up to get this information. They are very helpful for understanding the loads you're using for hunting... and the occasional walker.

17. EvilDeadJ

EvilDeadJ Member

CrossBows dont kick (not much anyway) they do wobble a bit though, the cheaper they are the more they wobble (side to sideish)