Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did Spencer deserve it?

Discussion in 'Episode 708 - Hearts Still Beating' started by Deadpool, Dec 12, 2016.

1. J K

J K Member

Yes, screw that guy.

2. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

Of course, he did not deserve to die, especially not that brutal and painful way.
    I don't understand those who wish death and pain on those they dislike. This is not normal, TV show or not. Anyone who thinks that devious people deserve to be killed should ask themselves what's wrong with their bloodthirsty opinion.

Spencer was wrong on every level, that is for sure. Yet he made clear that he didn't wish Rick to be killed. This was only Negan's interpretation of the situation. To no wonder, I may add, because he obviously can't think of anything else than killing to solve problems.
    Imagine a world in which every sneaky, devious, lying, unlikable person deserves to be killed... Unthinkable.

Negan took this opportunity to simply demonstrate once again that he and he alone sets the rules. Nobody else is even allowed to make suggestions and to try to intervene with Negan's plans whatsoever.
    Plus, Rick is Negan's little toy and he wants to play with it a little longer until he - and again, HE alone - decides when it's time to throw it away. No Spencer, no Rick, no Daryl, no follower of his or anyone else. Only Negan himself.
    He made clear that negotiating with him in order to be on the safe side is not only invane but also a crime punishable by death.

It's not fairness towards Rick or disgust for a traitor at all. There was simply absolutely no good intention in killing Spencer at all.
    It's so obvious that I really wonder how anyone could ever think it was a good thing to kill him.

3. J K

J K Member

LMAO, it's a tv show about zombies, a mediocre one at best, it's not real. People root for and against characters in every show that's out there.

4. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. Deadpool

Deadpool Member

What???

Next you're going to tell me Santa isn't real...

#65 Deadpool, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  6. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

This is the part I didn't get. Do you think it is mediocre zombie show or an all-around mediocre show? What is your idea of an excellent tv show about zombies? And, for extra credit, What is your favorite tv show, with or without zombies?

7. WickedJenn

WickedJenn Active Member

I'm going to address this directly -

First, I do appreciate the comments you made, and I understand where you're coming from, I do.

However, I have to say this - comic books, TV shows and movies that are fictional - there is a suspension of belief that has to be considered. I have to say though that, neither should the opinion of myself nor the rest of us who said yes here, be considered "not normal". I do not consider them "bloodthirsty" either. First of all, I had no idea that Spencer was going to get killed like that (I have not read the comics), and it was indeed a horrific scene. I certainly did not sit there and fist pump and say, "the a$$hat is dead", I was too busy being shocked that it happened that way, as I had prepared myself for Lucille. In no way have I downplayed the violence in that scene, in fact, I did look away on second viewing of the episode.

But then let's consider this, I'm sure you've seen a horror movie a time or two in your life. Just because you watched them, does that automatically make you a horrible, sadistic person? Of course not.

We are all speaking in context of the show itself, and from a character standpoint, Spencer climbed his own ladder of doom. Everything he did set himself up for what happened. It's not just because Spencer was wrong, but because he was ignorant and foolhardy, don't light that fire unless you understand the fuel.

So, when we say yes, at least for myself, that doesn't mean "yes he should be gutted like a fish", it means that everything he did and said up to that point gave him that end.

#67 WickedJenn, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
  8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

This scene was horrific, no one should have to lay eyes on that brutality ever again.

9. Quivy

Quivy Active Member

Oh, the horror!! ;)

10. LolaDemented

LolaDemented Active Member

I had no problem with the scene having watched horror movies for as long as I can remember. I think it was deserved for the character and what I would expect from TWD.

11. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I totally agree with your statement. I was commenting it from Negans pov, because he was the one killing Spencer, and from Spencers actions, which clearly showed, he didn't thought it through.

NoMora : Good post, but I do think, there is a difference between wishing death to someone real or some fictional character. Sometimes (I guess in most cases) people wish death on a character, because they don't like them and wish, they would leave the story (show, book, video game...). I didn't like Lori and Andrea: I was terrified with the way they died, but I was glad, they were out of the story. If they would have been real people, I would have tried to help them, liking or not - because that is a whole different thing.

12. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

Thanks for your response.
    I was addressing the comments that stated a great satisfaction for Spencer's brutal death.
    What you say doesn't sound to me that he really deserved it because he was a sneaky person and traitor but that he rather had it coming in regards to Negan's way of handling things and people.
    That's a difference.

Watching horror movies doesn't make a person bloodthirsty, of course. It's the way people handle the ethical questions.
    Some consider the brutality as being horrible and feel compassion for the fictive characters, others enjoy atching the protagonists or antagonists being slaughtered, just because they either dislike the character in question or have an unhealthy thing for horrific murders. Or they simply don't think twice and everything is black & white for them.

13. RU3evil

RU3evil Member

Since you addressed me as being abnormal I will respond. Did it ever cross your mind that you are abnormal? Not being snarky, but because somebody doesn't share your opinion they aren't normal? That's a pretty tall soap box you're on. I contend that being vengeful is rather normal. I'm not saying it is good, but normal. Vengeance in humans has been around and written about in some pretty old books.

This is a fictional tv show, the dude ain't really dead. He was on TTD afterwards. I think most of us understand that it's not real.

I for the most part agree with your analysis but think there is a little more to his reasoning. It's not that black and white.

Whether that analysis is correct or not has no bearing on Spencer's death being a "good" thing. There are several reasons I think it was a "good" thing.Maybe not good for him. He is a coward and cowards cost lives. He is deceitful and that means he can't be trusted. He is narcissistic.He has delusions of grandeur and a sense of entitlement.He honestly believed he would be a great leader. Remember when he stole the best stuff for himself after giving a speech about doing right? Somewhere in that feeble mind he deserved things that others that worked to get didn't. Spencer was a special kind of f***ed up but it's fixed now. It's not a matter of "like". In this fictional tv show. The pragmatic solution is death. They don't have time for safe spaces with crayons and coloring books and therapy puppies for mommy's precious little snowflake.

14. NoMora

NoMora Active Member

Well, it's not about an opinion at all. An opinion is "I think blue is a nice colour" or "I think blue is a dreadful colour".
    Stuff like
    "Yes, he deserved every bit of it. The look on his face when he was catching his own guts was priceless. The DC metro area is so full of Spencers."
    is supporting a fictional violent act plus adding humiliation towards less violent/brutal fictional protagonists.
    Yes, it's only a tv show, sure. Yet the audiences always compare fictional situations to reality. It's the most normal thing to be either disgusted, shocked, mad, sad or to simply feel some kind of empathy for a fictional character.
    Nobody says that people who enjoy brutality towards a character go outside on the streets and knock down or kill the next guy who crosses path.

I didn't like Spencer at all, not a single bit.
    However, enjoying the brutal death of a fictional character is an expression of callousy and personal dislike, if not hate (towards the character) and lack of empathy is indeed alarming.

Sorry, no. I can't see anything good in it.
    Perhaps another danger was eliminated, if it's that what you mean. But it's not a good thing, simply because problems can be solved without slaughtering people.
    But then, Negan is the one who solves problems by killing others...

Nope, the pragmatical solution is not death. It's simply the easiest and a sick "solution" to a probem.
    And "crayons and coloring books and therapy puppies for mommy's precious litte snowflake" is not even necessary and only the opposite extreme point of view to just killing someone.
    That is black & white.

#74 NoMora, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  15. RU3evil

RU3evil Member

I'm not going through this one at a time because this is almost humorous to me, if it weren't sad. You are putting yourself as normal and anybody that doesn't share your opinion as abnormal. It is your opinion.Stating an opinion as a fact doesn't make it a fact. Just a misstated opinion.

See,I can turn around and say " Maybe you need to look at yourself because you would rather die than remove a threat. You must have some deep seated internalized shame that makes you believe you aren't worthy of life." I'm not here to judge the other members of a forum on the interwebs. I'm here to have fun talking about a fictional show that is bloody and horrific at times. I think you are taking this way too seriously. Why is it alarming that you assume I feel no empathy for fictional characters that died on a tv show? Now you are not only stating opinion as fact but you are coming after me based on your assumptions. I find it alarming that you are so intolerant of others opinions.

Spencer had his mind made up. He was going to remove Rick if possible. The net result is Spencer died due to his own actions. Father G even told him that his condition didn't have to be terminal.They even wrote in the script that the preacher could foresee his attitude causing his death. This is a fictional world where the sensible, practical,realistic solution to survival is to eliminate the threat. That is pragmatic.

ETA:For your first part: Yes, I think he deserved it. Sorry,I was typing lazy and thought it was obviously my opinion.And I didn't single people out for anything nor insinuate that there was mental instability because somebody didn't share that opinion.

#75 RU3evil, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  16. WalkingZombie15

WalkingZombie15 New Member

yea..

Yes, I think Spencer deserved it, to Negan that was a low ball move.

17. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

18. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums [MENTION=119982]WalkingZombie15[/MENTION]!

• Like Like x 1
  19. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.

20. WalkingZombie15

WalkingZombie15 New Member