Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Did the zombies freeze during winter?

Discussion in 'Episode 301 - Seed' started by Jakobi, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Just thought about the fact they skipped the winter and I had been wondering if they would go into that aspect at all, on what happened to the zombies during the winter. I wonder if they froze and then thawed.

I mean they are in the warmer part of the country, but there is all up north that gets really really cold. If they did freeze, maybe they thawed and are back. Anyway it is an interesting thought.

2. RIPRV

RIPRV Well-Known Member

No flashbacks so probably not. And no reason to show something up North if they're in the South.

3. Daniel Day

Daniel Day Member

Never really thought about it but I suppose it's possible. It does get into the 30s and 20s here in the winter but it usually does not stay below freezing during daylight hours. So I guess they could freeze and then thaw everyday during the coldest days of the winter, lol.

4. Tiffani Cruz

Tiffani Cruz New Member

Probably not seeing as though they are already dead and cold blooded

5. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Technically...considering they aren't even cold blooded but are uh... gross dead congealed blooded, you'd think those puppies would freeze and move much more slowly in the winter, which would definately be killing time. It worked in World War Z and humans eventually retook the world and rebuilt a nice, functioning society. I just don't see that happening here.

6. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Yes they froze in the winter. They didn't show it in the show but the comic covered it. Because zombies don't have blood pumping through their veins they can't stay warm and they freeze and then thaw out in the summer. The rotting process also slows down in the winter.

7. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Which would explain why they decompose so slowly which always makes me want to cry "unfair!" I see it all so clearly now...duh!

8. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

That makes a lot of sense. think about beef, after the cow is cut into 2 pieces they usually let it hang for a few weeks, then butcher it, sometimes steaks are further 'dry aged' and you can put those in your fridge and cook them a week later.

Actually i just cooked some sirloins that my mother-in-law gave me. she frooze them like 2 months ago, they thawed out and were still great looking. (and tasted great grilled) :Grin:

So its likely that during the bulk of the winter zombies barely decomposed at all. that should have equaled a lot less zombie activity over the winter (perhaps why nothing of real important happened over winter and why the show is picking back up in spring) ?

9. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

.... what the hell is Kudzu? And Gross!!! Alligators put their babies in rotting freaking leaves? That's freaking gross! And all I can say about zombies and shit is that basically they get to eat us and rip out our throats...thank God they aren't shitting on our well manicured even in a zombie apocalypse lawns as well.

#9 Felicia, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  10. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

It is very sad but it's as if creeping around endlessly looking for someone's butt to chew on wasn't bad enough now those poor things probably did freeze and nobody or nothing to keep them warm.

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Speaking of poop, how do zombies in TWD benefit from the food they chew and swallow? I mean is their digestive system functional? how do they use the energy from flesh? and where goes the human flesh eaten by these murderous zombies? I mean they have to get rid of waste somehow...

Zombie Poop anyone?

12. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Some people think zombies need food. I personally follow Romero's rule that they don't actually need food, that they are simply driven by the most basic of instincts which is to eat. The flesh they consume simply rots in their gut. In the novel WWZ they describe how zombies guts swell and burst from constantly being filled.

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

That seals it, I thought the infected Zombie brain prioritizes the search and consumption of anything edible. No Wonder their lips are mostly bitten off and damaged.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I believe if we really went and indulged very deeply in every detail from a scientific viewpoint, we will find thousands of flaws that cumulatively render the entire series as a scooby do film. Zero Realism. XD
    But I just can't help wonder about it that way and question everything everytime I watch a fiction material.

Anyway, I think there is a small chance the makers and writers of TWD are aiming for 100% realism and consistency to real life. I mean Zombies and the virus that cause crazy walkers out of graves are new things to modern science. Or at least our current understanding. I don't know, I'm not sure if I'm speaking through my brain or through my butt. XD

15. Sixfootbrunette

Did the walkers not freeze in the comics? Sure they came across one that was frozen. I didn't realise they were skipping the whole winter part out so was surprised when Lori was huge and Hershel had a crazyazzed beard.

16. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

Most of human digestion is done with enzymes which our body does not produce. I think the only substance the human body can digest entirely by itself, is sugars and starches. everything else is broken down by enzymes that live with in our GI track, but enzymes that our bodies do not actually produce.

for example cellulose is broken down by cellulase (which oddly is created by fungi and bacteria) but there is no gland with in a human to make any. we ingest these enzymes on and in our food, and with the continued presence of food, these enzymes stay around.

stop eating a type of food for long enough, and the next time you eat it, you might get a stomache ache. ..
    like a multi year vegiterian eating their first hamburger, they could actually get a stomache ache where as I wouldn't.

so the flesh a zombie eats could still be broken down, and i guess difusion could slowly slowly spread nutriants around the body (assuming there is still blood or a lymphatic system left)

but really any discussion over zombie physics is where i need to just cover my ears and shout 'lalalalala' Becuase i can't see any scenerio where you could have a walking corpse for more than a few minutes . (latic acid build up to the point where the muscle doesn't function) unless the zombie (virus/fungas/bacteria) starts to replace the muscles .

but that's not a deal breaker for me, just a non sequitur.. although i would love to be able to rationalize How a zombie could actually function. it would be fun... if i (anyone) could come up with some sorta theory that remotely made sense. i can't.

17. Chreees

Chreees Member

The comics covered freezing, as rabscuttle said. They either freeze up completely or are severely slowed down and way easier to kill.

Felicia- Kudzu is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu Shit is like a plague here in the South. **** whoever brought it here from China! This picture is of Kudzu in Georgia: http://tinyurl.com/9vx8mjs It grows just like that all over here in Tennessee as well. So invasive and annoying.

18. Chreees

Chreees Member

This has always been my line of thinking on the topic.

19. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm hoping more films & tv shows do a Peter Jackson & add extended scenes to DVD..

Would be great if TWD had extended edition DVD releases to go into more detail...

20. Dead man walking

Thanks for that - nice to know.:Grin:
    Rick mentioned to Shane last season that he hoped the cold would slow them down - could they not have got further afield and already set up camp somewhere colder if this was the case? It seems all winter they have just been on the run trying to get out of this area but boxed in by herds of walkers, or did I miss something?

They should certainly try to get to a colder climate if zombies freeze then they would be easier pickings and safer to some extent.