Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 1: Days Gone Bye' started by fruitfulandgay, Apr 6, 2014.

1. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

I liked Shane's chatacter more in the comics too. Maybe, in this case because it was less drawn out?

2. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, been busy all week and haven't really had a chance to do much else than sleep and work lol. I am about to start reading the comics and I'm gonna go straight through the first 6. It's the first 6, right? And honestly, there's no other way for me to do it. You can't just read 1 or 2 lol. Anyway, I'll give my thoughts within the next 2 hours, so stay awake and keep creeping. :D

3. fruitfulandgay

Mi Lady, blondes don't have moments, lol, but you get a pass this weekend

4. kennyisalive94

Good lord, Chelsea is one hellll of a cutie.

Excuse me while I go take a midnight stroll.

[​IMG]

5. fruitfulandgay

I haven't ever felt silly for reading. The drawings are fabulous. I have a useless degree in fine arts, and I love the, black and white sketches. Good stuff, the best in my opinion.

6. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't know when we were getting started. I'll get it read here in a bit.

A couple random thoughts...

Nothing against Adlard's work but I really like the artwork in the first volume. It's more defined from panel to panel, where Adlard likes to be a bit more ambiguous about things. Both styles work for the comics and it's themes. I would say Adlard maybe works a little better at creating tension for a horror based series. But I really don't know much about comics, so I'm pretty much talking out of my ass. I'd love to hear the opinions of people with more knowledge on the subject.

I started reading just before Season4b. Like Neuro , it took me awhile to get into them. I've just never been into comics because there was no shop anywhere near me growing up (I've only read Alan Moore and Frank Miller), so starting later in life made it hard to deal with the "huuuuhps, WHAAAPS, UMMMPS, khanks." I'm glad they slowly moved away from that. I guess it's silly but that was really my main annoyance with the first volume.

One of my first impressions was how completely different Dale is in the comics. Like Mikey said about Shane, he's a little more complex. At least I felt that way but again, I knew TV Dale first.

I can't tell Fake Rosita from you. ;0

#26 SFA, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  7. kennyisalive94

[MENTION=23261]SFA[/MENTION] OMG I always thoughts those sounds were so silly. Dat Batman punching.

Just read the first issue. I like Tony Moore's writing but I prefer Adlard's. Already 1 issue in and I was getting a little tired of the bland cartoony looks of characters. I mean, I like it in general, but with how much darker the comics got, and they got darker pretty early on, I don't see how Moore would've been able to draw it. I think Adlard's is more mature, and the comics got more mature and darker, so I think it was best that he replaced him.

Still, the panels are great to look at. It's sooo weird seeing Rick. It's just not the same guy in #124, Rick Mother F@#cking Grimes. Also is he supposed to be a lot skinnier or do all of the characters look like this lol.

The plot- love it. I'm glad it's fast paced because it really is so enganging. I cared about these 3 characters immediately and wanted to see them die or be in the next issue. It's just very much not a typical zombie story. It's not a bunch of teenage girls running and screaming and tripping on paper every 3 minutes. And when you think about it, not much even happened in this issue. But that's what I love about the comics- even if it's just 2 characters having a conversation, it's super engaging.

8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm not very keen on the artwork in the first volume. It comes off a little bit "sketch" like or cartoon looking to me, whereas Adlard's art has more of a noir vibe which makes it look more refined.

I preferred TV Shane to comic Shane, but one thing I did prefer about Shane in the comics was the kind of power struggle between Rick and Shane over whether the group should stay or wait to be rescued. They followed it to an extent in the show, but it always leaned more towards being a constant fight over Lori. Comic Shane just couldn't come to terms with the new world and was so far in denial and hoping to be rescued. I really liked that.

9. kennyisalive94

Also, I'm with everyone that's not into comic books. But this is just so different, I think mostly because of the dialogue.

edit- reading issue 2, damn that is a lot of talking to the horse, Rick. I mean, it's fine, just surprising.

#29 kennyisalive94, Apr 7, 2014
  10. kennyisalive94

LORI'S NOSE, holy SHIT. I mean, I knew it was big, but DAMN. Sorry.

11. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Don't mind me, I work graveyards, so will likely jump in here late as opposed to way too early.

The pacing is faster, that much is sure. It took almost to the end of the farm to tell all of this in the TV show. That was probably wise, as the one thing I noticed most on this read through was the Carl story already starting to gel. I mean, Carl has already put down his first human and we are just scant minutes into the story. Knowing how long it will actually be until anyone talks to him about this, should this have been pushed off a bit farther down the line, or do you feel this was just the edges of the foreshadowing for his bigger picture?

I guess the question really is, was it too soon to give him his first kill? I get the reasons, but shouldn't this have been something to act upon sooner than they did?

12. BatmansHooker

I'm not really into comic books, either. Only reason I started reading TWD was because I liked the show and watching the first 2 seasons wasn't enough. Took a while to really like it, but once they reached the prison things got smoother and more fun to read. Don't mind the earlier issues though.

13. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Yeah they made him more complex and let him stick around longer. I personally feel like his character wa unneccesary after the barn episodes. Also [MENTION=5424]BatmansHooker[/MENTION] add me to the list

14. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

I was never a Comic book Person but because People kept making These compartisons between it and the tv Version i gave it a look by finding them on the Internet. If the Show Ends i probably won't Keep reading them because i mainly just wanna see where the Show can go in the future.

15. BatmansHooker

You're already there mate. :Grin:
    Yeah, I just gave it a go mainly to see the differences and see what might happen in the future. Way more interesting the show, but when the show ends I'll probably keep reading because I'm so invested in the characters (or at least the core characters like Rick, Carl, Andrea and Michonne) and want some closure on their stories.

16. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

I agree about the early issues(I think Tony Moore did the first 12?); I absolutely loved Moor'es artwork in the beginning. I've been reading for a few years now, and there were a lot of people who didn't like Adlard in the beginning. I was one of them; but now I couldn't see it any other way. Especially in AOW; Charlie has really come into his own(with much help from Rathburn and Gaudiano). I can easily say that the artwork is currently at it's best.

Another thing concerning character differences; this may seem odd, but I loved how quickly Shane was dispatched from the story in the comic, but at the very same time I really enjoyed exploring deeper into his character on the show. In the first volume; Rick keeps stressing how vastly Shane has changed. Saying he's not the same man, and that if this world can make a man like Shane crack-up, then he doesn't have much hope for others. The show showed us just what Rick was talking about in those panels, it allowed us a journey into Shane's fracturing psyche.

As for Dale, in the comic he would get on my nerves sometimes(and I think that was the intention of his character), but he was all man, and a little rough around the edges. TV Dale, I never liked, he just seemed like a grade-a whiner. Always b*tching and moaning and sticking his nose where it didn't belong. His TV counterpart came across as oddly feminine to me; for example I could have never imagined Dale(Demunn) sleeping with Andrea(Holden) in the show!

Lastly, a little tidbit I've always wondered about was Allen and Donna and the boys. They're fairly prominent in the first volume, Donna being almost like a female Dale, but the become much more minor later on. We also don't see much of Billy and Ben in the beginning. Now, I know they were just minor characters modeled after "Joe-Everyman" to make them easily relatable; and they played their roles well. But I've always wondered why they didn't do more with them in the show? If you remember they arrived with TY and Sasha, except in the show they only had one child, Ben(which was obviously a nod to the Billy&Ben event). Donna was gone rather quickly, and Allen and Ben joined the Gov and died fighting for him. To me, the fact they they introduced them and then nixed them that quick just seemed like a waste. Although they're very average and bland characters I think they had some potential(as they had in the comics) and they could have done more with them in the show.
    Thoughts?

#36 jwcoombs, Apr 7, 2014
  17. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Where's vatos and the cdc?????????:Grin:

19. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

You're right. I didn't finish my homework. But I'm definitely not embarrassed :p

20. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Reading the first volume again reminded me just how far Rick has come. Seeing him put on his uniform and talk to Morgan about "serving and protecting", and how it may give him an advantage in the city shows you just how little he knew about this new world he was in. He even made sure to tell Morgan not to put too many miles on the cop car because "he will have to return it when this is all over". Even Shane was talking about not wanting to go too far into the country for fear of being missed during a rescue. They all still had hope of the ZA coming to an end...and it's sad to see that again knowing how the story unfolds and that there really is no end.

And so i don't spoil it for the first-time readers i'll put this in spoiler tags: