Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 1: Days Gone Bye' started by fruitfulandgay, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

It's true...even though TV Shane had more time to develop i still think he was more likable right off the bat than comic Shane. I'm not a huge fan of either...but i still had hope for TV Shane until he went all batty in season 2.

2. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Shane still has an enormous head!

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Did you notice how muscular he was drawn in the very first page of the issue 1? He looked like Johnny Bravo..

[​IMG]

4. lewh

lewh Member

Thanks for the mention! I was wondering when/where this thread would appear haha so I appreciate you helping me find this!

So are we reading 6 issues a week? on which day? just over the weekend? Because I read the first volume this weekend in between Uni work and my job. Also most of you guys will be discussing whilst I am asleep (from England, UK) so I might take a short while for my input haha.

First thing I notice is the change in artwork, I remember it being different but not THIS different. I love the amount of detail in each panel but overall I prefer Adlard's art as it fits the tone and darkness of the eventual comic a lot better than Moore's 'stylized' art. Maaaan Rick has come a long way! Carl too!

Has it rained in the comics (or even show) since that moment with Rick and Glenn in Atlanta?

5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

LOL yes...and he had some of the most hilarious facial expressions too:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I'm glad you posted this, because it reminded me... in the first half of the comics, snot was always coming out of everyone's nose. We have to keep up a count of snot noses. This is at least one...so far...

7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

You're right, this is a crucial detail! Now i want to go back and find more snotty noses...

8. SFA

SFA Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, Shane's lack of and/or changing canine teeth really ruined the whole volume for me. ;)

#48 SFA, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

lol at your spoiler. it's so hard to imagine the characters like this anymore. Moore's art was too cartoony for me but still solid. Shane's arc makes me glad the show improved it and Carl has finally come full circle! He had a similar panel last issue as when he shot Shane.

10. Toothpick

Toothpick Well-Known Member

Sorry for my tardiness I have been absorbed in the comics all weekend and I got confused by the time difference between the UK and USA. It's been very interesting reading all of your comments though.

OK where to start? For me the beauty of TWD lies in the complexity and accessibility of the characters. I can honestly say, hand on heart the comic book Lori is 100% less of an annoying bitch than TV Lori. I actually empathised with her, a bit.

I will always dislike Shane' character regardless of the medium, But see him as a necessary and useful contrast to Rick.

as someone else said already;Carl's putting someone down came quite earlier than I expected but was totally necessary given the pace and direction of the comic book plot. I like him more than TV Carl too but he is soooo tiny he looks about 7yrs old.

I really like and relate to Hershel and Tyreese in the comics, the additional family members are a bit confusing but they are necessary for the future storyline so I tolerate them but there seem to be too many characters for me to care about them all ie; Otis and Patriciaim not sure I like how the barn dwellers issue was dealt with so quickly, the TV version was more believable and shocking.

iam constantly surprised by the divergence between comic book and TV time lines and story lines it's kept my attention and confused me at times. I meet characters I'm not expecting to see on screen. I hope I have a better understanding of the motivations of some of the main characters now. ESP Rick, Maggie and Michonne.

But i have to say this... Wow!Carol is a woman on a mission isn't she? I wasn't expecting her to be so assertive in her pursuit of....company because I didn't realise how unhappy she was. But that is resolved really well in the comics..... Made me cry. Still....

anyways it's way past my bedtime. Night y'all, till next time.

11. fruitfulandgay

fruitfulandgay Well-Known Member

I agree. After watching the end of season 4, rereading volume 1 was maybe even more impactful. How naive and hopeful they were.

12. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Speaking of beefcake-style musculature; have you ever seen how Kirman and Moore originally intended for Rick to look in TWD Proposal?--He would have put Shane, and Johnny Bravo to shame. LOL

Oh yeah, Lori's name was Carol back then too. lol:zombies_lol:
    [​IMG]
    [MENTION=8031]Jen7[/MENTION]

#52 jwcoombs, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  13. jwcoombs

You know; now that I think of it, we haven't seen any incumbent weather in the comic since the Alexandria snow, and haven't seen any in the show since the rain in "Guts". It would be cool to see some snow in seasons to come as they work their way toward ASZ.

14. jwcoombs

Is this the panel you're referring to? If so; great observation!
    [​IMG]

15. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad they didn't use that version of Rick lol. He kind of comes off as an a-hole and i can't figure out if it's his dialogue or his build...or maybe a mixture of both! And it's so weird seeing him call her "Carol".

16. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

It was a slip of the tongue. This Rick (We can call him "Brick", for Buff Rick) is actually a D-bag. He has had his eye on this one woman he has seen around named Carol, but her husband Ed is always around her. When he is at home with his "Wife", he frequently calls her Carol, but he will leave her if she says anything, so she puts up with it.

Seriously, even though the alternative is a classic trope, I much prefered him waking from a coma in the middle of it as opposed to not heeding warnings like a closed-minded goof. I don't think I could have gotten behind this Brick like I did Rick. Maybe they were blending Rick and Shane, and wound up separating them for more diversity?

17. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

He looks like the Hulk.

18. Machete

Machete Active Member

All right, so I kinda dropped the ball on Volume 1, when are we supposed to have V2 done by? I need to get back on track!

19. Shumpert

Shumpert Member

I was a little busy with thangs - just finished issue #6...
    am I caught up?

20. jwcoombs

Yeah; I'm pretty sure we're doing 6 issues a week; and this is still the first discussion. So you should be good.

Right @fruitfulandgay ?

#60 jwcoombs, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014