Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by TheILLness, May 14, 2014.

1. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

so many answers, but still so many questions

a lil upset with the 2 year jump. not huge but i wanna see how they developed this fine tuned, well oiled machine that is the new society theyve created. i mean i can live with it, but it would be nice to get a lil bit of insight even if it isnt flashbacks.

Negan as Carls confidant. not surprised but i like it. Carl talked about boobs too. awesome lol

so we have Magna and a few other new faces. kinda funny to see the other side things as far as recruiting for ASZ. except they actually DO have it figured out this time around.

im assuming Michonne decided to go to the kingdom. wonder if Ezekiel will keep the king act up, kinda doubt it. really im excited to see whats goin on at all the communities. Maggie and her new child, Dwight and the new Saviors.

i did like how RK is clearly making an effort to make the post prison, pre war characters (ie Eugene, Rosita, Aaron, Jesus, Eugene, etc) more involved. hopefully hell flesh them out even more as we go along.

overall, i thoroughly enjoyed it. but it cant stay peaceful forever ;P

#1 TheILLness, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

127 Discussion

There's no Volume 21 section yet, so I guess I'll post the discussion here. @Tony Davis or @legendx66 can one of you guys move it when it has a more appropriate home? Thanks!

--Anyway; 127's a doozy. Discuss here!

The war is over. Now we rebuild.

[​IMG]

#2 jwcoombs, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm not really sure how I feel about it.

Probably best to reserve judgement for the next couple of issues since this issue was mainly about setting up the new environment the characters live in and re-establishing things...

Anyway: (putting this into a spoiler tag for now because I know a lot of people probably haven't read it and it's pretty big)

4. jwcoombs

Loved the issue. I agree, I would have liked to witness the sort "brick-by-brick" building of Rick's new colony of communities. But I can live with the relatively short two year-leap.

I'm sort of upset to see Rick so physically diminished. It seems to sort of take away from grit and perceived power. Probably not much of a zombie fighter anymore, but I guess it had to happen sometime because he was necessary for so much more. That being said--Rick finally gets a prosthetic! Man, I've been waiting for this forever, it's just too bad it wasn't created for combat, but cool nonetheless.

I'm glad to see just how spot-on many of our predictions and speculations were--e.g. the time jump, the Rick/Negan or Carl/Negan confidant possibility, the stable state of the colony, Rick's cane confirmed(from 129 cover), etc. etc.

I'm guessing Michonne's with Ezekiel at the Kingdom; I like Jesus' new samurai look and it's cool to see Heath making himself useful. Also, I'm really enjoying Eugene's much more valuable and irreplaceable role in this more civilized kingdom. Like OP said; it's great to see RK trying to elevate the status of some of the post-prison/pre-war characters. Making them all important pillars of the community. I'm very interested in this new group; Kelly seems like he could be a cool character, as well as this Siddiq. I'd like to see more from him. I also have to mention Andrea's "Man with No Name" get-up is badass!

Carl sort of caught me off-guard. I just didn't expect him to be strutting around sporting a pooka-shell necklace and a modified pair or Wayfarers acting all angsty and tween-esque. All like--"But Daaaaad!! That's bullshit! I'm not a little boy! I've proven this; and I saw boobs!".--I sort of expected him to be more reserved, quiet, sort of cold and serious all the time. Hard-working, focused and responsible and all that jazz. But it seems like when everything calmed down and got a little safer, Rick did like he did in the show and took Carl's gun and hat and forced him back into boyhood. But it seems to have been more successful here.

Glad they gave us a taste of imprisoned Negan so soon. We pretty much all guessed he would be having regular talks with either Rick or Carl, but I didn't think we'd see it so soon. He looked so weird all long-haired and barefooted--but it seem like he really has calmed down and even shares ideals and opinions with Rick(even on the subject of child-rearing). But I'm very glad to see that Carl still want his vengeance very much. No matter how close he and Negan become.

There's just so much to address from this issue it's a little overwhelming. Can't wait to catch up with the rest of the communities and war veterans. Especially Dwight and the Saviors; its going to be interesting to see how his relationship has grown with the rest of the gang.

Lastly, I'm really enjoying all the awesome post-apocalyptic tech we're getting to see. You figure, we're about 5 years into the plague and the world would have rapidly become a very different place. At this point, most canned good and non-perishable items have long reached the extent of their shelf-lives, fuel stored in tanks around the world that was once salvageable would have become worthless now(without treatment), natural gas systems the world over would have exploded due to negligence creating massive fires that would burn and spread unopposed until the elements put them out. Unattended and non-maintained nuclear power plants would have melted down voiding their contents and hopelessly irradiating entire nations the world over. What I'm getting at is they're at a point in the apocalypse where the world has forever changed. The days of scavenging and using old equipment and technologies are gone. Many of the ways of the old world, it's procedures and solutions, it's industries and resources are gone, dead and depleted. So they've had to figure out new ways horse-drawn vehicles, hand-forged hardware, they've even managed to construct a working flour-mill. It's cool to see them obtaining sustainability, and the ingenuity that comes with that. I also really love the subtle hints at how the world as a whole has been forever reshaped. The mega-herd, and the remarks of that being the most anyone has ever seen. This shows the dead are still very much a threat, migrating, joining forces, adapting, evolving; maybe even re-gaining rudimentary cognitive skills such as teamwork and diversion. They also mention the sightings of massive flocks of migratory birds, so large they "sound like the ocean" or an approaching tsunami I'd assume. This shows that Mother Nature has finally sunk her hooks deep back into that which is rightfully hers.

Can't wait to see where we go from here. I hope we get some flashbacks from time to time. It's great the story has finally really turned a corner. They're finally getting a tight grasp on the world they used to know and trying hard to pull it up by the boot straps. They're doing wonderfully, but how long can this serene peace be maintained? The human condition is suffering, so it's inevitable. The dead are apparently as big, if not a bigger threat than ever. Now forming massive unopposed forces all over; herds so large the can not be effectively combated, but must be herded. What happens when they get to large for herding, or grow savvy to the ploy? What of enemy forces? They must be out there. Rick Grimes can't be the only man capable of building an empire. And who's to say another colony would want to play ball? Like I said, it's human nature to hurt one another. No matter the magnitude of shared adversity of common enemies. I can see it now, a small unit of rogue military personnel defected in the early days of the outbreak. They stayed on the move and fought for their lives and survived the first few years in the same manner as Rick and company. Running, fighting, starving, but surviving; and swelling their ranks along the way. Eventually they are able to breech and secure a sprawling, overrun military base/stronghold. With the advantage of no opposition, and no war. As well as the existing hierarchy of the military rank and file, and a large force of men willing for follow it and take orders the built a much larger, much stronger colony than Ricks and have been established longer. Now they're on a campaign, a crusade to expand their empire and authority. They will do so by force, or through diplomacy. To them it makes no nevermind. Bend the knee or they'll bend it for you. Who knows, that's just one possibility. All I know is it can't be peaceful forever.

5. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

6. jwcoombs

Yeah, I'm up in the air on some things. But honestly, I'm liking the direction.

I too am upset about Rick though, I mean, he couldn't be a super-zombie fighter forever, but they didn't have to make him seem so physically incapable in order to play the role of wise and considerate king. It was also bittersweet to see the prosthetic, I've been waiting so long for it, but had hoped it would be fashioned for combat, not for meetings the the round-table and messenger bag carrying.

Carl bugged me a little too, I didn't expect him to become this pooka-shell necklace sporting, modified Wayfarer wearing angsty tween. He's all like--"But Daaaaad!!! That's bullshit! I'm not a little kid anymore! I've proven this...and I've seen boobs!!". LOL

I'm guessing Michonne is shacking up with Ezekiel at the Kingdom like was hinted at the end of AOW. But that may be wishful thinking, like you, I'm a bit worried. What worried me the most was the fact that Jesus appears to be living at the Kingdom now, and more unsettling is his sudden transition to samurai, more specifically that very familiar katana he's wielding. I couldn't see Michonne laying down her arms and taking on the role of benevolent queen.(Maybe though, she did try to hang the sword up in ASZ).

What really surprised me was just how many of our predictions and speculations wound up being true. The Rick/Carl talks with Negan, the time jump, the state of the colonies, Rick's handicap and the confirmation of the cane from the 129 cover, this seems to be the most accurate we've ever been. LOL

Like you, I'm withholding judgement and can't wait to delve deeper into this "new beginning".

Edit--One thing I noticed that I'm enjoying is that this issue is giving the world more of a Mad Max vibe/tone. It could just be me, but things were starting to feel a little "Thunder-Dome-esque".

7. jwcoombs

I love Andrea's "Man With No Name" look. She looks like she just walked off the set of Fistful of Dollars. LOL

8. jwcoombs

9. jwcoombs

Aaron blowing the Viking War Horn*insert tasteless joke here*(which apparently Eugene made).
    [​IMG]

10. TechoTactical

TechoTactical Member

OMG. that was AMAZING. I will admit, like many I was upset with the ending of all out war but this is more than worth it now, I hope we get to see the Kingdom and Hilltop soon, longing to see some Maggie and Michonne. :D

11. Doomhed

Doomhed Member

Isn't that a vuvuzela?

12. lewh

lewh Member

I loved this issue! I wasn't too happy about the somewhat anti-climatic ending to all out war (although i eventually came around and loved it) but this issue makes me realise Kirkman made the right move keeping Negan alive, I like the direction this is heading.

The build up and reveal of Rick was sick and I love how haggard he is, and Jesus looks f**king bad-ass. The only character I don't like the look of is Carl. It's them glasses :(! I know it could be considered stupid but I really wish he had an eye patch instead. Or at least both frames in the glasses!

I too would have liked to seen the rebuild from point A to B, even if it were a few panels. I like the direction it is going although I think I would have liked the idea of either a longer time jump and that was Sophia or something and Carl was a leader, or if it was a new group in an entirely different part of the world (or even elsewhere in America would do)

So excited for the next issue already! This month is gonna kill me!

13. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

we'll move it once an admin makes the volume 21 forum

14. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Pretty cool how Rick is basically Douglas Monroe now, he acts the same and has a little bit similar look
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Navygunz75

Navygunz75 Member

As far a Michonne goes, she's been wanting to "retire" and lay her sword down for good for some time. As a matter of fact, Rick practical had to beg her to help him one more time against the saviors. So her having a non-combatant role isn't surprising to me. She probably either the constable, or who knows, maybe she helps train the community warriors.

At any rate, I'm sure RK kept her out of the issue, and not even mentioned on purpose, just so we would have something to wonder about.

Maggie on the other hand, I have a feeling there may be a surprise with her. While she was mentioned, she wasn't shown, and I think there may be something to that. Maybe she got hurting is handicapped, or maybe her and Glenn's child didn't make it. Either way I think there is some kind of reveal involving Maggie in an upcoming issue.

Overall, an interesting issue, but honestly, until I can see at least the next volume or two, I won't really know if I like the new direction or not. Interesting to see how they've developed though, and I'm glad it was only a 2 year jump and not a decade or anything too ridiculous.

16. jwcoombs

You know I thought the same exact thing when Rick was first revealed in this issue. To me it almost symbolizes that a part of the original ASZ lives on in a Rick; sort of a tip of the hat to Douglass. Rick definitely respected him upon arrival, and undoubtedly was able to learn things from him. I feel like in those early days of "A Larger World" Douglass played a sort of "Hershel/ Dale" role in Rick's life. Took him in from the road, cleaned him up and gave him a job and purpose. Showed him how to once again be a part of something bigger. Showed him that peace and civility were not extinct ideals in this new world. He helped bring Rick back from a dark and violent place when he first got to ASZ. Douglass was a good leader, he just wasn't a violent and ruthless enough man for the times. That why Rick inevitably rose to power. I think now he more greatly understands Douglass' lofty ideals. And that's beginning to sort of "show" in him as he continues to expand the community Douglass started and lead it's people into the future.

17. TechoTactical

TechoTactical Member

This leads me also to speculate about when the TV show will end. I am almost certain it won't carry on for aslong as the comic, I am thinking they will go up to all out war, maybe even kill Negan at the end instead and the ending scene could be after the timeskip these new survivors walking into what is now Alexandria, and Rick walking up and going "Welcome to Alexandria"

18. jwcoombs

Here's another cool side-by-side comparison; Douglass from his first appearance in #70 and Rick from #127.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

oh so we just gone act like i didnt make a 127 discussion thread last night at 1am? lol jp. anyway, my 3 cents:

"so many answers, but still so many questions

a lil upset with the 2 year jump. not huge but i wanna see how they developed this fine tuned, well oiled machine that is the new society theyve created. i mean i can live with it, but it would be nice to get a lil bit of insight even if it isnt flashbacks.

Negan as Carls confidant. not surprised but i like it. Carl talked about boobs too. awesome lol

so we have Magna and a few other new faces. kinda funny to see the other side things as far as recruiting for ASZ. except they actually DO have it figured out this time around.

im assuming Michonne decided to go to the kingdom. wonder if Ezekiel will keep the king act up, kinda doubt it. really im excited to see whats goin on at all the communities. Maggie and her new child, Dwight and the new Saviors.

i did like how RK is clearly making an effort to make the post prison, pre war characters (ie Eugene, Rosita, Aaron, Jesus, Eugene, etc) more involved. hopefully hell flesh them out even more as we go along.

overall, i thoroughly enjoyed it. but it cant stay peaceful forever ;P"

20. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

I liked it. I liked that we skipped time by a couple of years to show this civilization actually happen but not having to spend too much time watching comic after comic of them rebuilding. Plus it also gives Carl a chance to do more teenage things which could be interesting. He's what, 13 now?

I'm sure we'll see Michonne, Maggie, Ezekiel, Dwight, etc at a later point if they're not dead. But yeah, overall I enjoyed it and it seems like a logical direction for the comics. My gripes? Uh, the Heath's horse being surrounded by a hundred zombies and he's going calm down girl we'll get out lol.