Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by jwcoombs, Jun 10, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"After all this time, she should be more prepared."

Great issue, absolutely loving the new direction. Very fresh and vibrant.

I don't know why, but I feel for Negan. And apparently Carl is quite the talented youngster!

Loving the return of Andrea's mean streak, as well as Eugene's girl problems that are pleasantly reminiscent of the world before. Also, I'm very interested in those two young cowboys from the Hilltop. I think they're going to unknowingly and accidentally stir up some trouble and make a huge mess. This is what has me most worried about Rick and Carl's upcoming trip.

I don't trust Magna and company one little bit. She's got a bad attitude and she's hell bent on finding something that in my opinion isn't even there. Rick and the gang have nothing to hide. But she's on a witch hunt for skeletons in closets, but instead she's going to find a man in a cell. Since she has no idea why he's there, and what this community has been through, she won't agree with his imprisonment in this world without law. It only gets worse from there.--But, at the same time I'm unsure, it's very conflicting for me. Because, fact of the matter is, she's not doing or saying anything that Rick wouldn't or didn't already. If anything she's actually being more trusting and cooperative than Rick was when he arrived in ASZ; because Rick and Glenn went and stole back their confiscated weapons in secret whereas Magna has continued to allow the confiscation of their weapons.

Last but certainly not least; important information in the Letter Hacks this week. Kirkman comes out to say that the two years time jump referenced by editor Sean Mackiewicz in #127 was incorrect. The time jump is in fact supposed to be an undetermined amount of time. Most likely leaning towards more than two years(IMO).

Here's the excerpt from the column--

Sean--"Aw, man...That look on Rick's face after Carl walks away. Carl's just growing up too fast."

RK--"That's what happens when you do a time jump of an undetermined amount of time no matter what an editor says in a letter column, which the writer should have caught, but didn't...and now regrets."

Discuss your opinions, reactions, complaints, and criticisms for TWD #128 here!

#1 jwcoombs, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  2. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Maybe Magna is going to do something stupid and put lots of people in jeopardy?

3. jwcoombs

Ooh! That sounds fun! I'll take "Zombie Apocalypse" for $500 please.....DAILY DOUBLE!--I really hope Rick wins! He could use some of the award money to go buy Carl a glass eye! :zombies_lol:

4. TheWalkingHorn

What's your wager?

5. jwcoombs

Well, since this zombie apocalypse Jeopardy, I wager 1 bottle of whiskey, 4 rolls of toilet paper, and a 112 ounce can of chocolate pudding with an expiration date of 30 days ago. LOL:zombies_lol:

6. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402430969.432615.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. jwcoombs

Ha! Yes! Is that the first official and appropriate use of this meme? I think it is! LOL

• Like Like x 1
  8. HondaS2kXD

Well, as far as I'm aware it exists only on my phone. And this is the first time I used it. So...
    We've got a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now, while you're passed out, Carl's gonna try to shoot you for making fun of his eye. Hopefully Rick gets there on time. ;)

9. jwcoombs

LOL I saved it to my TWD folder when you made it; so it exists in two places now! :zombies_lol:

Also, ironically enough, I'd bet Carl losing his eye actually made him a bit of a better shooter. I know when I first started shooting handguns, and was trying to train my body to accurately sight targets with both eyes open, I was advised to go buy an eye-patch and wear it over my non dominant eye. But the trick was to make sure I didn't still close my eye with the patch on; it actually worked like a charm, and is the only reason I overcame the "double-vision" issue of shooting with both eyes open.

10. HondaS2kXD

copycat. :p

I was trained to shoot handguns with one eye open-- but the funny thing is, which eye tends to be somewhat random. Sometimes I'd close my left, sometimes my right lol. Eventually I learned both eyes open-- after I saw how well it worked for rifles with reflex sights. For speed I use both eyes open. For small/far targets I close an eye.

11. TheWalkingHorn

4 rolls of toilet paper?! You must be feelin' lucky!

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but as soon as I saw the cover I thought it was a flashback scene, to something that happened before Magna's group met Rick's. I have no basis for this opinion.

And also, if that was true, I suppose the tagline would be, "After all this time, she should have been more prepared," or some such. So I guess I'm wrong, unless the tagline is referring to a different "she." Just putting this out there.

13. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

I just pre ordered it on my phone. I just caught up on the comics last month and this is the first time I have done this. I got way too excited as I did it and will remember this moment for the rest of my life.

14. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm in love with Google play ever since I got #126. Soooo nice not having to wait like another 15 hours for it to be on YouTube. So just another 20 minutes now, I'll have my Kleenex ready in case Dwight dies.

15. kennyisalive94

kennyisalive94 Well-Known Member

Really good issue.(other than no mention of Dwight and the others. When that knife slashed through that zombie's head I was like MICHONNNNE. But no.)

The characters' stories and conflicts are all believable. Carl wanting to do more important stuff, and him carving figurines, that's awesome. Eugene's issues with Rosita are hilarious. Poor guy. I mean, it's not THAT unheard of to be with a hot girl. I once had a hot girlfriend, but then again, I'm like, sexy and stuff.

Negan is certainly suffering, but I think his "friendship" with Carl is all an act...only a matter of time before he gets out and it accumulates into something sinister.

Carl running off happily to go to Hilltop was foreboding. Something bad's going to happen because of that. And...wait, so, Magna was with The Governor's group, or maybe she joined the group after TG died, but she said she traveled to DC, so I'm really confused.

Really liking Magna and her group...and Andrea's dryness. Now THAT'S the Andrea I've been missing and has been sidelined for a while. For a while she hasn't been more than Rick's gal, so it was good to see her have some real relevance and a major role. And she's perfect for questioning survivors.

So yeah, anyway, good issue, loving where this story is going. Hating the month long wait, but I'll just have to adjust.

16. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

Magna is going to let Negan free I just know it! Stupid hoe these people let you in and you have to be so suspicious:zombies_lol:

17. jwcoombs

I agree. Very great issue. I too thought for sure when that sword came down on the half-walker that it was Michonne; I even cheered a little, and was then promptly disappointed. :(

That being said; it was cool that those two young cowboys on the horses were from the Hilltop. It was sort of like a subtle glimpse into the state of things their with Maggie in charge. I loved that quote "I'd be more worried about what Maggie is going to say when she finds out you lost a horse!"; it's crazy to think of Mags as a figure of authority and the bringer of discipline. Cool, but definitely going to take a little getting used to.

This new direction is amazing. The character story lines, conflicts, struggles, and joy seem to have more depth and potential than ever. Kirkman really breathed some life back into the series. It's so cool to see Carl struggling with those feelings of inadequacy and helplessness we all feel when we're adolescents stuck in between boy and man. But I'm also glad to see Rick being a good father and not holding his son back no matter how much it worries him. He's got to let him grow up so he can every bit of the man Rick is. I'm happy it's not driving a rift between them. Also, I absolutely loved the set-up for the reveal of Carl's epic whittling skills. "Are you sure you can do this?" "Of course I can. You know what I've done." "No, I don't. I've only heard about it. Show me.". LOL I know we all thought that was going a totally different direction, but must say I'm pleasantly happy that it didn't. On top of all that, for me there was something special about the little argument between Rick and Carl, mainly just that part where Carl retorts-"Do you!? Do you know what it feels like to see everyone but you doing something that matters!?" "How could you know?! You're Rick Grimes! Everyone worships you for what you've done!"-I thought it was cool to see Carl refer to Rick in a manner similar to how us fans talk about him. Oh yeah and "You're dad's like the boss of the whole world!" LOL

Eugene and Rosita is funny. It's great to see them actually have the time and relative safety to have relationship problems. Makes things actually seem a little normal. As for what's actually going on between them I don't know; I think Rosita is most likely seeing someone else.

I have to disagree with you on the Negan part. Maybe he's pulling the wool over my eyes, but I think he's genuine. I think he's really hurting; especially after that big let down from Carl. He's probably really opened up to him over the years, and to be told that none of it was sincere, and Carl wants to kill him still, that's gotta sting something awful. Don't get me wrong, I still hate Negan for his war crimes, but rehabilitation is possible you know.

I agree that Carl's journey to Hilltop has me worried. Even more so after seeing that damn look on Rick's face as his boy ran off into the sunset. Broke my damn heart. Something's definitely going to happen at the Hilltop, I feel like they're setting that up with the two young horse-riders from Hilltop, and Carl and Rick making a trip out there. Maybe something goes wrong on the road? Since we know those two guys are one the cover of #130 hiding from a herd. Most likely the herd the encountered when the horse fell. Maybe they lead them to the communities unknowingly and Rick and Carl get caught up out on the road. That could be bad; Ricks condition is exactly made for trips into the deadlands. We'll see I guess.

As for Magna, what make's you think she was part of The Governor's group? She said nothing of the sort, unless I missed it. The way I understood it is she hail from Richmond, VA originally. Richmond was quickly overrun and unsafe, so they left their rather promptly in the early days. Eventually they made it to a place called "Slade Retirement Home" and it was closer to D.C. which was their intended destination as the last emergency broadcasts they heard were telling people to head for big cities as they were still able to protect the urban areas. But the nursing home had fences, a garden and a greenhouse, and seemed to be surviving quite well. Magna and company decided to stay. After some time, people kept showing up, things started getting bad, and Magna and some others decided to leave. It has been seven months since they left the nursing home and found Alexandria. During that time half of her group died due to zombie encounters. They survived through a system of towing and living on top of the steel container. The thing that really worries me about Magna's story, is that in 7 months on the road out in the open, they didn't encounter a single living soul. Eerie.--Either way, I'm not trusting her all that much. I don't like her attitude, it makes you wonder why in seven months they couldn't find a decent place to hole up in and fortify. She's butthurt without her weapons, and is hell bent on exposing these dirty secrets that in my opinion they don't even have. I mean, it could be because I'm attached to the characters, but I don't think they have anything to hide. The conversation Magna had with her people during dinner time made me very uneasy, it almost felt like they were there to infiltrate and destroy from the inside out. Either way, she's going to go snooping, find Negan, and jump to conclusions because she has no idea what these people have been through. She'll immediately disagree with the imprisonment of a person in a world without law. Probably thinking something along the line of Rick and company being twisted and on a power trip. Negan will play her like a fiddle and she'll let him out; and he'll recruit her people to bust out of ASZ. Or maybe, and this could be cool. Magna find Negan, they talk, he plays her like the fool she is, and actually winds up exposing her as the bad guy, their by saving ASZ from a domestic attack. YAY! REDEMPTION!

Great to see Andrea showing her mean streak again. I always loved the old take-no-sh*t Andrea from STF and the beginning of AOW. It's great to see that side of her again, don't get me wrong, I liked her as "Rick's gal" but she's got so much more to offer. She's a fierce protector, and a regular downtown killer!

Even though it was very minor, I thought it was cool to see Mikey again, and his want to honor his father legacy, and Rick's kind words to him. I thought that was very cool; I could see Mikey becoming every bit as capable and useful as Carl.

Oh! Also I almost forgot! This also kind of goes to support how I feel about Negan and his relationship with Carl and his rehabilitation. In the Letter Hack for #128 Kirkman made a statement about the time jump. Apparently it wasn't two years, and we're all wrong. Could be more, could be less; but I'm leaning towards more. And since this is now this case, it has made me reevaluate some things, namely Negan's incarceration. Two years, and five years, and make a big difference in a person. So now knowing what Kirkman said; its got me thinking Negan could be more sincere then we think, especially if Carl has been all he's had for several years now. His only friend in the world, and that friend just told him he wants him dead. That's painful.

Here's Kirkman's quote from the Letter Hacks--

Sean makes the comment of-- "Aw, man...That look on Rick's face after Carl walks away.Carl's just growing up too fast."

To which RK responds--"That's what happens happens when you do a time jump of an undetermined amount of time no matter what an editor says in a letters column, which the writer should have caught, but didn't...and now regrets.

But y'know..we've got to wait until next issue to talk about the time jump! "

18. TheWalkingHorn

ooh ooh ooh me too!! It's currently 8:22 in Austin, and the store opens up at 9:00. I'm about to leave!

19. TheWalkingHorn

Gonna be me an a bunch of teenagers lol

20. jwcoombs

You would be surprised; I think you might find yourself not-so-out-of-place when you get there. LOL

P.S.--Sorry if I spoiled anything for you on this thread! Unless you read the digital; in which case I am not sorry at all. ;P