Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by HondaS2kXD, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

It's interesting that in the last 2 years, the issue before SDCC was really big, and this one wasn't. 2 years ago was Negan killing Glenn and last year was Rick's attempt to kill Negan at Alexandria

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

We just got major event followed by a big timeskip and a double issue. I think he just needs the time to set up and go back to normal. Some of this might end up being major also.

3. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

[​IMG]

4. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

That's what I said.

5. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Good issue, maybe a little bit predictable from Magna's point of view. I knew she would start sneaking around the place and eventually found Negan in the cell. I really liked her in the beginning, saw some kind of potential in her group as well, but I knew that wouldn't work well. I don't want to dislike her, but after this issue everything's possible. Rick is their leader and he promised her to see the prisoner (Negan) after he gets back (Magna's disobeying in progress...). She had to act like the goddamn investigator. Negan's reaction to Magna and her people was priceless (and also predicted). Even Rick told her he's dangerous. I guess some people don't have ears...

There was a pretty funny moment when Rick asked Carl about the girlfriend (Anna) who gave him the letter, after which he replied "Shut up, dad." Their father-son relationship is much better now.

6. Elvis_Mazur

Elvis_Mazur Member

Rick was unnecessarily mean to that guy.

Also, I hope the new group won't be the reason Negan got out as that would be SO foreseeable.

7. Elvis_Mazur

Elvis_Mazur Member

Rick told her he's extremely dangerous and she still wanted to see him... What's her problem? Who the hell wants to see a dangerous imprisoned guy????!

8. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

She still has not freed him yet which I do not think she will. I am predicting Andrea to find them in there and a verbal scolding that is about it. I think Negan is just a distraction from the real threat being the herd that is about to destroy the Hilltop

9. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I like this I hope you're right hahaha

10. KillTheGov

KillTheGov Member

Magna hasn't trusted Rick from the beginning and in her mind finding Negan just confirmed she has been right about him the whole time

11. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Yeah, he got a little carried away. But I think Rick is currently dealing with a lot more feeling, namely fear, than he ever has. Mainly because; he has so much to lose now. The thought of everything coming tumbling down because the road wasn't secure lends to intrusive thought of losing everything; and that scares him, and how does a person react when scared/cornered? They lash out; because that's when they're at their fiercest.

Also, Rick is struggling with issues of pride, and maybe more than a little bit of bruised ego. It's got to be hard transitioning from fearless leader and zombie slaying badass to humble, savvy, staunch and stoic politician. As a man myself; I can sympathize with the anger, shame, frustration and embarrassment Rick faces due to his physical inabilities now. The man really is in a tough position; it would be extremely difficult for me to not lash out more, and have a bad attitude constantly.

I'm sure this played a big role in how he reprimanded Benjamin as well; having just avoided a very close call for him and his son(which honestly should have never happened) Rick was very keyed up and more than a little frightened. Not to mention we know how Rick can completely lose it whenever his son may possibly be in danger(remember when they first came to ASZ and Rick exited Douglas's house after their first meeting and he couldn't find Carl and freaked out and was starting to get real violent, real fast). He was also embarrassed; for not being able to handle all of the walkers himself, and more importantly for not being able to protect his son on his own. That scares him because he's never been so vulnerable, and in turn that makes Carl more vulnerable than ever as well. He was ashamed of himself for not being able to be the father he once was; and for not exhibiting the strength and unbendable and unfaltering ability to protect his son. He makes this pretty clear when he says--"Don't fire! I've got this!" and "Stay back, Carl!" even though he is obviously being quickly overwhelmed. Rick also make this apparent when he remarks--"I saw. Sorry to scare you like that. I thought I could handle them...it's been a while for me. That was close."

You can tell his pride is hurt, and he is embarrassed in those comments; but he also knows that Carl did the right thing by lending a helping hand when he needed it. Although it irritates Rick to no end, the fact that he needed help from his son, he refuses to lash out at Carl for doing the right thing. So when he sees Benjamin come moseying along, knowing he's the one responsible for keeping this section of road secure, and that he directly endangered him and his son, causing them to risk their lives; he also see the perfect target for all of his pent-up frustration and embarrassment.

12. jwcoombs

Concerning Magna; I don't think she's foolish or gullible enough to buy Negan's line of bullsh*t. I definitely don't think she would be the one to set him free. Honestly, I think the encounter between Magna and Negan in issues to come is going to be more of an exercise in trust; a plot device to bring her into the fold and show she can truly be trusted. But I don't hold some of the other members of her group in such high esteem; namely Kelly. He strikes me as the type of man that, had things gone differently; and had he been approached with different opportunities; he could very well have wound up as a Savior himself. I feel like he may have some unsavory skeletons in his closet, and more than a little red on his ledger, I also feel like he would be the easiest to manipulate of the group. And if this is the case; it won't take Negan long to identify that trait and exploit it.

13. JoeTzu

JoeTzu Active Member

Technically she was told about Negan. She knew where to look because Rick told her there was a person incarcerated for life in that building.

JWCoombs, per usual, sums up what I hope pans out with Negan, Magna & Co.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Negan gonna bust out and take over the world!

15. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I usually don't go for the obvious story line. I usually expect the unexpected. But I really think magna could go for this. Yes, she seems very smart and the consensus among her group seems to be that she is a good leader. But she set herself up for this. She's suspicious. She's been getting weird vibes about the ASZ since the first she heard of it. She's been very secretive about her past and I really am not sure if I totally believe her story, but that might just be me. So, really, she's a lot like Rick when they first showed up. But the difference is, there wasn't a man locked in Douglass's basement when Rick showed up. Negan will tell her what she already wants to hear so badly-- that her suspicions are true. Rick is a bad man, leading a group of if what I believe he described as "animals," and they've kept him locked away from the outside world, without trial, and without even the same rights as prisoners before the apocalypse-- outdoors time, visitors, etc. He will play her perfectly-- we already know he can control and use people. And I really think that if she doesn't let him out, she will at the very least become a part of the plan to get him out.

16. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Let's think of it this way: If Douglas had a prisoner when Rick first arrived, how would Rick have reacted?

Magna so far seems to be a parallel of Rick when he first arrived at the ASZ, so yeah I agree, her suspicions and distrust of a seemingly safe community will probably get the better of her.

17. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you say as long as you have Kristen Bell as your avatar. That woman could invite me to jump into a woodchipper, and I would happily comply... I don't know what it is, but she has IT!

I think that Magna is a safe bet to do the right thing, but I just feel her team is a bit more unstable to predict at the moment.

18. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Kristen just about oozes charisma.

Whatever happens, I'm certain that it'll lead to Rick (or Andrea possibly, as Rick is gone at the moment) coming to trust Magna. I feel like Rick's going to pick up on the similarities she shares with him soon enough, if he hasn't already.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

She can ooze all day as far as I am concerned. She would make an excellent Harley Quinn (and was one of the contenders for the role until that unfortunate "Joker" business.)

I feel that as well. I just can't see her actually being a baddie for the series for some reason. Some of her compatriots have that vibe to them though. Kelly might be a bit obvious though, as I could see Yumiko being a possibility (She seems a bit too quiet and reserved for this world, which is a red flag for me) as well as Luke, who appears to harbor something dark inside of him for some reason. I picture Connie to be a red shirt for now, and hold no expectations for her survival at all (which means I am probably wrong :p ).

I will re-evaluate in a few months to see where this stands with me.

#99 Z-Man, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. jwcoombs

I like this idea; we should use Rick's characteristics/behaviors during the time of "A Larger World" and "No Way Out" as a reference point for Magna when speculating about how she may proceed. It makes sense, seeing as how up to now she's given us no reason to think that she isn't ​Rick's female doppleganger.