Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by legendx66, Aug 13, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. The Daryl-in-the-comics troll would have been classic!

As for 134; I just caught the cover on the website. And, I think I can shed some light on the tag line here. I think this is exactly what Kirkman referred to in the SDCC comic panel this year. When he spoke of "strangeness"; and then of discovering a "zombie who responds to pain, which is strange because they never have...and I'll leave that right there".

This looks like that exact moment. It looks like Jesus was in the middle of doing what Jesus does best, slaying scores of zombies, when all the sudden, he slashed at a corpse, and it screams, like screams bloody murder, grabs it's wounded arm, and falls to the ground in agony. Hence the utterly shocked expression on Jesus' face. And the tagline "From whispers to screams"; first it was Marco's paranoid ravings and ramblings about the whispering dead, and now there is a first hand experience of them screaming and reacting to pain. Well, atleast the one.

2. jwcoombs

Also, concerning the #134 cover and tagline; I feel like this may add a little support to my theory of the feral-zombie-pretenders. These deranged folks, who's pysche and every other part of their being was crushed by the events of the outbreak. They lost it, completely slipped their tether, and for one traumatic reason or another, they think "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" is there best bet, and choose to live amongst the dead. The completely assimilate, and regress to a primal, feral state of existence. They even eventually go so far as feeding on human flesh, as that is their only means of sustenance when living as part of a herd. Anything else would cause alarm amongst the actual dead. The ones from World War Z, and other books,(they had a specific name for them, but I can't remember)would even attack the living just like the actual zombie would. They were so far gone when people found them and tried to rehabilitate them, that they didn't even remember how to speak. One thing that held true about these people, across all the different novels, was that they were damn creepy. And people struggled to understand their choice, as do I. It was a really cool aspect of the apocalypse, as well all know, a ZA would definitely create some strange circumstances, and completely new things. It was one of those unnerving, skin-crawling abominations manifested by the plague. Also, it's really not that far fetched at all. I could definitely see Kirkman taking this route; I had hoped we would eventually see some feral children or something; but this is even better if it's true.
    [MENTION=39001]HondaS2kXD[/MENTION] [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION]

Ok Neruo; you've pretty much got me convinced that the zombie are not evolving. LOL But I'm actually dying to know what you think of this possibility.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who is aware of these weird, specialized and deranged types of living human beings that pop up in the zombie genre?

#102 jwcoombs, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  3. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

When you put it that way, I guess not. :)

I think a zombie who feels pain is actually more unbelievable than one who can vocalize sounds like words, to be honest. :zombies_lol: But Kirkman did drop that bomb about the "wounded zombie" during the panel, and he also made an intriguing statement about there now being differences in the story's mythology, because so much time has passed. And that walker on the #134 cover does look as if it's holding its shoulder. So do you think it's a troll -- maybe Jesus attacks a person who looks like a zombie, like the feral people you describe -- or will a zombie really respond to pain?

4. jwcoombs

After much thought, and a long debate with Neuro, I'm pretty sure this is a troll, and the "strangeness" which Kirkman mentioned, and the change in mythology, is going to be an introduction into the different types of crazies the ZA has created. The first of which being these creepy feral, pretenders. It's going to be an epic troll though. And I'm cool with the crazies, it actually makes sense. Hopefully soon we'll get a pack of feral children; that would be awesome. LOL

5. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I just read where you spoke about Jesus injuring a feral in the #134 cover thread. It's a flurry of activity here today, and difficult to keep up! :) I'm on board with this feral theory too.

6. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It could be very interesting, because Rick will want to rehabilitate the person. So he/she will become another wrench in the works at one of the communities. I like wrenches. Negan's a wrench. Gabriel is still a wrench, I believe. Some of the saviors may be wrenches. Kid Her Age Should Be in School Guy is a Phillips screw driver. Alex possibly getting a break-up letter from Jesus is a radiator hose clamp. Mayhaps crazy old homeless Salsbury will end up in the cell with Negan. "Rawwwrrr, I'm a walker! Here I come, grrrrrrrrrrrrr" "STop, hahahahahahahah, stop that tickles! Come on now, no not there, hahahahahahaha".

7. Neuropyramidal

Where's [MENTION=26751]TheWalking Horn[/MENTION]? I thought she'd be stumbling in here with her slather-assed opinions, knocking over the lamp by now.

8. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

U mad lol? I actually work at a gay bar and grill, Hamburger Mary's. They're actually a chain. Look it up if.you don't believe me. We have drag shows every weekend. Even have a few transgender employees.

9. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

I don't want to get into social commentary here but I will say the world is still very binary in the sense that you're either a supporter of the LGBT community or a homophobe. Not much grey area. Whether or not I start my comment with a rationalization, chances are people will make assumptions. Like you did. Maybe get off my back and stick to discussing TWD instead of criticizing me.

10. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

Maybe Jesus just realized he just killed one of his long lost disciples? I am completely against the "special" zombies in the walking dead. What always make it unique is that they were all the same basically. No tanks, smokers or hunter types. I feel like it is too late for all that. I'd be fine with a hurricane doing some damage or something along those lines to cause some turmoil but please leave the special zombies to Left 4 Dead and Resident Evil types. Might as well make a mother brain zombie that has been controlling all the walkers this whole time.

11. Neuropyramidal

You made two posts in a row talking about homosexuality, then told the other person to get back to discussing TWD.

Sounds like 'you mad'.

12. jwcoombs

You know; I was just re-reading the first half of the "A New Beginning" arc(#127-#130); and something caught my eye that I hadn't given much thought until now. As seen in #127, and every issue since, in which we've seen Negan in his cell, the characters who venture down the basement steps and into the "cell-block", as it were, are always depicted carrying a candlestick to light there way. You can see pretty clearly, that the light from the candlestick appears to only illuminate a small area, while the rest of the room is swallowed in darkness.

So, that being said, what I realized was, they keep Negan not only imprisoned, but in complete darkness 24/7. There are no windows, and I'm sure he can't much down there(although he claimed to hear the windmill, but it may be loud); so that's a few years of sensory deprivation he's been subjected to. I'm surprised it hasn't taken a bigger toll. No wonder when he was putting on his dog-and-pony show for Magna he was worried about Rick returning, and didn't even know it was night time. Now, don't get me wrong, he's a lunatic, a mass murderer, and a war criminal, and Rick's taking better care of him than the prisoners of modern-day wars. But, I find it slightly cruel to keep a man in complete darkness for years; but I guess that sort of thing might be necessary with a man like Negan. Especially if you're trying to "neuter" him, like Rick mentioned in #128.(Which, I wanted to point out that I thought Rick and Negan's conversation in #128, and Rick's remark about how he's "neutered" Negan, was a nice little full-circle moment, an homage if you will, to Negan's original declaration of breaking Rick, and "sliding his d*ck down his throat, and making Rick thank him for it".).

Thoughts? Do you think several years spent in complete darkness is harsh, even for Negan? Or do you think that the darkness is luxurious, compared to the punishment you think h deserves?

13. LoudSilence

LoudSilence Member

I'm back!! :D

Anywho, I don't think several years in complete darkness isn't at all harsh for Negan. He deserves it. I think the Governor deserved what Michonne did to him and that's probably a lot more harsh than years in darkness..

14. Neuropyramidal

I think if you're going to keep people alive for the sake of being a humane civilization, then you have to do it right. Personally, I would have just killed Negan at this stage, because I think their civilization is a bit too primitive to attempt life sentences for prisoners while you are still dealing with so many dangers outside. But, since they chose to go this route, then it had to be done properly, or they are defeating their own purpose. As long as there is a tiny bit of light entering the room somehow, like under the crack in the door, then his eyes would adjust, so while it seemed like total darkness to anyone first walking down there, Negan may still be able to see the room. However, if they are going to pretend they have a society where proper stable imprisonment is possible, then they should give him a period of several hours per day of daylight. If they have the basement windows boarded up, then they should take at least one cover off for a set amount of hours per day, and allow him to see. Civilized imprisonment is about keeping the public safe, giving justice to the victims and their families, and deterring crime in others. 24 Hour sensory deprivation is about revenge.

Like I said, had I been Rick, I would have killed Negan on day one. But if the decision was made to keep him alive, then I'd try to do it right. I wouldn't want to start my new civilization by torturing a human being for decades mostly due to ideas of revenge, rather than justice. That's no way to start out.

15. jwcoombs

Wonderfully stated! I completely agree on all accounts. At this point in the history of this new civilization; they are nowhere near ready to maintain a proper prison system. Because, you can't have incarceration without some sort of judicial system, even if it's rudimentary. I mean, if you're not going to have specific laws, with specific punishments, and give men fair trials, the right to speak in their own defense and let their peer decide a just and righteous fate for the alleged; then you're nothing more than a tyrant ruling with an iron fist through fear. With no consistency in the methods of punishment, and no justice whatsoever. What's the point in prison with out laws? Like you said; they would have been better of killing him. And I honestly think a public execution would have served the public better as well. It would have been that resolute closing of a chapter, that they all needed, witnessed by all. I'm sure there are many survivors of AOW who feel that as long as Negan draws breath, the wounds of All Out War remain open, and festering.

Rick claimed that this was their chance to rebuild civilization. There way, the right way. A second chance, an opportunity of atonement and redemption for all involved and willing to change. One thing he made clear though; was that he wanted to use this opportunity to rebuild civilization the right way, the way it should have been done from the beginning. His big selling point was that this is there chance to start over, rebuild the world, and rewrite history, and this time, skip over all of the bloody, unfortunate, horrible, and terrible things. That plagued our civilization, and most likely led to it's collapse in someway.

Well, like you said, if you're going to start over, and skip all over the horrible, murderous, unjust moments of history, maybe you shouldn't torture a human being by imprisoning him in a dungeon, in the interest of a personal vendetta. You definitely shouldn't "sentence" a man to life imprisonment, based on no written law whatsoever, and without anything that even resembled a trial. In my opinion, this type of persecution, and oppression are the the exact "bad parts of history" Rick claims he wants to avoid.

16. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

Agreed. Personally, I would've gone full Kenny on Negan. But if you're gonna keep him alive, do it right.

17. Neuropyramidal

Agreed. To be fair though, I dont' really think that Negan is in total darkness. It seems to me that most of the visits we've witnessed occurred either late at night [Carl, Magna], or possibly very early morning hours, maybe before total daylight [Rick]. Every house is dark during those times. And I think if you read back to end of Carl's visit [opening of 128?], even after Carl leaves with the candle, it is still light in the room, and you can see the shadows of the prison bars on Negan's cot. Likely moonlight, or the sun coming up in the morning. I have a feeling Negan can see perfectly well during the day.

#117 Neuropyramidal, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  18. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure in 127 when we first see the full view of Negan in his cell there is a single light bulb hanging above him. I'm not sure or remember id it was on or anything but ik it was there.

19. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

I have no idea what that means :|

I've been in New Orleans all week. Literally just got in. Bought the issue there but haven't read it yet.

20. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Well, I just looked up slather ass, and apparently I should just stop posting on this forum all together. Thanks [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION]! Guess I'll go read my comic.