Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by BatmansHooker, Sep 10, 2014.

1. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Just got it now on Google Play, figured I'd start the thread as there wasn't one yet. Discuss!

2. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Ah you beat me! I haven't made one of these discussion thread since like #126. You guys keep getting the drop on me somehow. :p

3. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Okay, finished.

Let's start with Sophia. Holy shit, she turned into a badass. It's also great to see that her relationship with Carl is still pretty strong. I was afraid that there'd be some bad blood between them from the way that they left things in All Out War, but they still seem to like each other and have the bond that they've shared for many years.

Something gonna happen between Maggie and Dante? I kind of like this Dante guy, from the few panels we've seen of him. He's got some moderately funny lines, but also has a good head on his shoulders and seems like a pretty nice dude. He was the only one of the scouts who didn't immediately give up on Ken. Will Dante be walker chow in the next issue, or become a prominent member of the Hilltop community/Maggie's sex slave?

Really enjoyed Rick and Maggie's speech about the community and how far they've come. They really have come a long way, and built something beautiful. FINALLY MICHONNE IS MENTIONED. The mention kind of worried me though… Chances are that she's alive and well, but I still worry.

Magna's group ambushing Andrea was unexpected. Doubt they'll hurt her or anything, though. Not Magna, at least. It wouldn't be surprising if someone in her group turned out to be untrustworthy.

Rosita is so pregnant. That kid's gonna grow up to be super hot and super smart.

Haha, I've never actually made one of these discussion threads. Maybe if you're lucky you can get in next month. ;)

#3 BatmansHooker, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. jwcoombs

Oh, wow. What an issue, a lot of questions and mysteries being posed in this one. I absolutely love the direction the book is going in now.

First off, Sophia's a badass! She cut those two boys down like it was nobody's business. When Brian said-"You're getting tougher"; that was the understatement of the century! She's SophiaMotherF*cking...Greene?, and if she keeps this up, she just may be up there with Jesus and Michonne one day. Also, I though her accidentally sucker punching Carl was funny, it was a cool way to break the ice, I also love the comment she made-"You should have been able to dodge that right? The Great Carl Grimes, sucker-punched by a girl", that was priceless. So, it's apparent that Prince Grimes is having to do more than a little living in his father's shadow. But, I love how quickly Sophia goes from tough, independent badass chick, to shy and smitten school girl the second she lays eyes on Carl. There's no doubt in my mind that their relationship is finally reaching a point that's been a long time coming. It was most obvious when Carl told her she was staying, and he gave him the cute little mousy, and blushing response of "Cool!". It kind of warms the heart to sees those two finally coming full circle, we've watched them grow up and suffer together, times when they might not have made it. But now, they actually have a chance at a normal life, and a chance at love, and fun and all those things. It touching.

Moving on, I'm not sure how I feel about the mass manufacturing of corn-liquor. That's only going to lead to trouble, but I guess with society and civilization comes all of societies problems. I'm sure, without a doubt we'll eventually be running into some wine-o, lazy bum types that sit around the Hilltop all day in a drunken daze, panhandling and offering to spit-shine shoes. This new, stable civilization they've built will bring with it all of it's unsavory details.

Also, I'm not so sure how I feel about this Dante guy. He seems like a good guy, and it's apparent that there is something budding between him and Maggie, but he also seems like he could be trouble. He rubbed me the wrong way, I got the feeling he may be a little two-sided, a little selfish and cut-throat. But, on the contrary, he seemed pretty dedicated and loyal to finding Ken and doing the right thing, even when the others wanted to give up out of their own selfishness. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, maybe he's not so bad.

Also, Carl finally delivered Jesus letter to Alex. I always thought it strange that Jesus chose to move to ASZ, but he always said he didn't have much at Hilltop anyway, and spent little time there. Not to mention, he swore allegiance to Rick, and I don't think he would ever want to leave his command. Anyway, it seems like Alex has found someone else, but this someone also seems to udnerstand that Alex's heart is with Jesus, as he holds his hand and say-"See, I told you he cares about you". This kind of bothered me though, it seems like people are always trying to paint homosexuals in a very loose and promiscuous light. Either way, it's cool being able to catch up with some minor characters like Alex.

And Carl, I'm so happy he stopped being a brooding little and confronted Earl like a man. It's amazing what a little bit of straight forward communication can get you isn't it? So, it's great that all worked out, now Carl can learn his trade, and be with his woman. But, I'm still dying to know what that letter from Anna says, I have a feeling it may be a little more important than just puppy love.

Back to Dante,I really enjoyed getting another glimpse at the outside world, and how nature has re-staked it's claim to the lands that it rightfully owns. The developments of mankind are almost completely unrecognizable. Another thing, and this is touching on Marco's talking-walkers claims. I'm still fairly certain they're going to run into some Quislings(or pretenders); but when they found the barn Ken was left at, and they found Ken's shirt and Marco's had very suspiciously placed right there in plain view, almost like bait, and the very second that Dante hollered out Ken's names, the herd of walkers responded immediately; almost as if they were lying in wait. I'd hate to believe it, but that really seemed like a trap did it not? The walkers most likely already ate Ken, but through rudimentary reason were able to deduce that people will come looking for him; so they place his clothes in the front of the barn, to entice them to look further, then when they call out for Ken, it alerts the dormant and waiting walkers, and they pounce. Like I said, I'm not on the evolved walker train, but that really seemed like a good ole' fashion trap, a hoodwink if you will.

I loved Rick and Maggie's discussion. It was like a melding of the minds of kings,two great leaders sharing their thoughts and worries. It was very cool. The coolest part though, was seeing them be able to interact in a similar way to how they did in the old days, when they were just people struggling to survive together. I especially loved the-"**** that! I'm happy!" and "Holy shit!"-"What?"-"Me too!"; that was priceless. That little moment goes to show how deep their bond is now. Also, I think Rick talking about the bad times being behind them, and Maggie telling him to bite his tongue, and not to tempt fate, is definite foreshadowing of the impending doom to come. I also loved how Rick admitted that he missed Maggie, because even though he happy to see her as a wise and powerful leader, she became part of his family during those first two years, and I'm sure Rick misses that, he misse having his family around him all the time, after all, those are the only people who really know the real Rick, and the number of people left who were part of that special bond has dwindled greatly. I'm sure Rick is a very lonely man in his private moments.

Speaking of Rick missing his family. That comment he made about Michonne, the first mention of her since #126, literally scared me. The look on his face, the distance in his eyes, the way he seemed to be talking in the past tense. "Even after all that happened...I miss Michonne"; I'm going crazy over this, I don't know what to think. On one hand, it seems that because of the way Ricks says it, that she's still alive and they just had a really terrible falling out. But at the same time, you can't help but wonder if it was something worse. Last time we saw Rick and Michonne in the same room, they were thanking each other, and talking about how they've always been there for each other, and Rick was urging her to move in with Ezekiel, since he knew they had a thing going on. I just wonder, did things go bad with Ezekiel and Michonne stayed loyal to him? I mean, we know the Kingdom hasn't been excommunicated from the community network, because patrolman Benjamin is a Kingdom resident, and Rick told him he would be reporting him to Ezekiel. I wonder what happened? Either way, Rick makes it sound bad. The way he phrases it, makes it seem like whatever happened was so terrible, that anybody in their right mind wouldn't ever miss Michonne for what she did or was a part of. Oh man, this is going to eat me alive!

Finally, I think it's pretty clear Rosita is pregnant. Can't wait to see what that little abomination comes out looking like!LOL

Also, WTF MAGNA!? She must be drunk, or completely stupid and crazy. She's pushing her luck by bum rushing and holding Andrea captive for interrogation. Rick and the gang never did anything that brazen and utterly disrespectful as that. Not to mention, they have hidden nothing from Magna, she snooped around and found Negan and found the truth. But, Rick never hid that from her, he offered to bring her down there when he returned. And she goes and pulls a stunt like this? Beating and kidnapping the leaders wife in his own home? I hope they know, no matter what their intentions are, there will be hell to pay when Rick returns, or when Andrea gets free. This will not go unpunished. They won't be able to explain this type of behavior away as "looking out for her people's safety". I'm not sure what Magna is trying to pull, but she's barking up the wrong tree. Someone will die for this. It's completely unnecessary. They've hidden nothing, lied about nothing, given them food, shelter, clothes, and absolutely no reason for them to do something like this. I think Magna's intention aren't what we though they were, I think they're going to attempt a hostile takeover. Oh man, it's going to be so bad for her.

I can't wait for next month, two issues next month! And they said in the letter hacks that #132 is going to be so surprising and shocking that we'll be glad #133 is right behind it.

5. jwcoombs

I'm really liking the new Sophia, I never thought they could do anything to actually make me interested in her character, but I'm actually really excited to see where things go from here. Maybe Sophia will teach Carl how to fight? Here's a few images I just made.

[​IMG]

Somethings never change...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. jwcoombs

Another image I put together showing the status of the dead world. A sign of the times, if you will.
    [​IMG]

7. jwcoombs

Sophia mopping the floor with two punks-

[​IMG]

8. jwcoombs

Aw, puppy love! Been waiting for this for a long time!

Also, is it just me, or does Carl look an awful lot like Negan in the first image?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. jwcoombs

Maggie's new possible love interest? Is it too soon? How would you feel about another man raising Glenn's son, Hershel?

[​IMG]

10. jwcoombs

Here's the two page spread that I've affectionately entitled-"Dinner At Hilltop".

It's cool to see the genuine sense of community. [​IMG]

11. jwcoombs

Ugh, this has got me so freaking worried. I'm sure she's alive, but it seems like there's some really, really bad blood between Michonne and Rick now, maybe even between Michonne and everyone. I feel like it would have to be something very, very bad in order for her to be shunned and excommunicated by everyone, especially Rick. Because they always had this understanding that was on a different level than anyone else; they shared things with one another they didn't share with anyone else. It seemed like they had the most genuine and unbreakable of bonds. But apparently something broke it; and what that could've been worries the crap out of me.

[​IMG]

12. jwcoombs

This has got me pretty pissed too. It takes a lot of nerve to do something this brazen, and utterly disrespectful to the people who have given you shelter, food, and the possibility of a safe, secure, and promising future. Rick has hidden nothing, lied about nothing, and been far more transparent then most would be. And how do they return this favor? By breaking into his home, and attacking, and interrogating his wife? Oh man, I think Magna seriously just made the mistake of underestimating Andrea. I think she thinks she's some kind of spoiled "first lady" type. Wife to the leader, pampered and weak. But, as we all know, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Hopefully the next issue starts with Andrea fighting her way out of there, and bringing down all of ASZ on this unwelcome, intrusive and disrespectful b*tch. I mean, Andrea escaped a beheading at the hands of Thomas Richards, and also escaped certain death at the hands of a very scary Savior; and she slit his throat and threw him out of a tower. I don't think she'll have too much trouble with three women. Hell, maybe, in true Kirkman fashion, she'll just pull her side arm and blow Magna's brains out, surprising the crap out of us all, and abruptly bringing and end to the Magna and crew story arc.

All I know is, one way or the other, no matter what her intentions are, and no matter what comes of this; this type of behavior is unacceptable. And can't go unpunished. She can't come into someone else's house and make demands, assault people, and take the law into her own hands. That sort of behavior is too erratic, she's a loose cannon, a liability to have around.
    [​IMG]

#12 jwcoombs, Sep 10, 2014
  13. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

OH, Magna is fuc#ng with the wrong people!
    I can see Dante wants to get into Maggie's pants!
    Didn't get what Rick meant with "I miss Michonne." I hope she's not dead that would be a huge disappointement.
    Hopefully it's just Kirkman trolling us and she's with Ezekiel in the Kingdom.

14. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

- Magna is awesome.
    - I hope that Michonne is not dead... Or worse!

15. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

I can already imagine all the crap kirkman is going to write, making us believe she's dead and then one issue she just shows up like:
    "hey guys. how are you doing Rick?"
    Classic Kirkman troll...
    [​IMG]

16. jwcoombs

From the phrasing of Rick's statement, I feel like it's pretty clear Michonne's alive. What I took from it, is that there was a falling out between them; something very bad that has left a river of bad blood in it's place. Obviously, it wasn't anything bad enough for Rick to excommunicate the Kingdom from the Rick's Network of Communities; because we know from Rick's run in with partrolman Benjamin(who identifies himself as a resident of the Kingdom); that the Kingdom is still part of the network.

So, the question I asked, is what terrible event took place that broke the seemingly unbreakable bond between Rick and Michonne? I mean, the seemed bound tighter and by something stronger than anyone else. They were cut from the same wood, suffered alongside one another through similar psychological issues, shared things with each other they never shared with others. They exhibited a fierce loyalty toward one another; and they were forever bound by their deeds and shared experiences, by assuming the roles of the "sin eaters" of the group. The people who sacrificed themselves, and preserved the humanity of their group, at the cost of their own. So, for Rick to shun and disown Michonne, it must have been something very, very bad that happened between them. That really worries me. What could have happened?

17. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

Only time will tell.
    If I had to take a guess it had to be something doing with Ezekiel or maybe Michonne just wanted to leave in peace with him, hopefully nothing so horrible that completely destroyed their bond.

18. jwcoombs

Well, we knew at the end of #126 that she was most likely going to move to the Kingdom to start a life with Ezekiel, and hang up her sword for good like she always wanted. Rick was evening urging her to do that, he said he was going back to Alexandria to rebuild, of course she was just planning on following him; and hasn't given much thought to where she would live. She questions why Rick would think she would go with Ezekiel; but I think she was just being defensive and secretive of their relationship.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I think that, maybe Michonne chose to follow Rick back to ASZ, rather than move to the Kingdom. Rick doesn't agree with this, he thinks she should go be happy, and try to start her own life, rather than feeling indebted to him. But, she stays anyway. As Rick begins to rebuild ASZ, and bring civilization to the communities and surrounding areas he is very busy, as is Andrea and most everyone else of importance. But, due to Rick injury, and improper healing, he can't get around as much as he'd like, and with Andrea so busy with construction and security, he enlists the help if Michonne as his assistant/deputy/sidekick during these hectic times. Eventually, in true Michonne fashion, just like Tyreese and Carol, Michonne makes a move on Rick. And who can blame her, after all they've shared and been through, how could she not feel something for Rick? But this catches Rick off guard, he reciprocates, but immediately regrets it. A love triangle is formed, and Rick know he has to do something before this becomes ugly. So, without making a scene, he quietly exiles Michonne to the Kingdom, asking her to leave, and go be with Ezekiel and be happy, hang up her sword and start a family maybe. Although this was never what she truly wanted, out of respect for Rick and Carl, and even Andrea, she leaves quietly. And when she leaves she stays gone; having not returned to visit, or communicated with anyone from the other communities in a long time. It's a possibility.

19. jwcoombs

Did anyone else get the strange feel that this was a trap??

[​IMG]

P.S. It would have been absolutely priceless, if directly after this page with Dante exclaiming--"Oh, Jesus..", the next panel was an epic image of Jesus on horseback, riding up from the back of the herd, cutting his way toward the barn door, with heads rolling, multiple limbs and other extremities flying randomly through the air surrounding him as his blade opens up an unopposed and blood drenched path for he and his steed to pass through. YES!

#19 jwcoombs, Sep 10, 2014
  20. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

Seems the most likely of options.
    And damn! are you Sherlock Holmes or something, you are like the ultimate source of everything in here!