Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by BatmansHooker, Sep 10, 2014.

1. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

They should take him to the taxidermist and get him stuffed. Then they could dress him up as a comic book character and display him next to the register. They could even drill a hole in his back and use him as a tip jar, or to hold pens for signing credit card receipts.

Oh, even better yet; they could dye him orange, and then dye black stripes on top of the orange, fashion a length of 3/8" chain into a leash and collar, tie it around his neck, and call him Shiva!

SHIVA LIVES!

2. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

JW, your imagination is.... eccentric? :p

3. jwcoombs

LOL; to say the least. :p

4. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

"Okay, now you're laying it on a little thick. You should have been able to dodge that, right? The Great Carl Grimes... sucker punched by a girl"

"I'm not really known for my fist fights"

This made me laugh.

5. jwcoombs

Me too. lol

I hope Sophia can teach him how to fight though. For crying out loud; it's about damn time that the heir to the Grimes throne learn how to defend himself, and fight walkers in hand-to-hand combat. Also, it's high time the boy got his first melee weapon. What gives with that? Carl has never killed a zombie with anything other than his pistol. I mean come one, Clementine is a few years younger then him, and a girl to boot, and she's never had a problem scattering walker-brains with hatchets, hammers. rocks, screwdrivers, hell, whatever's handy really.

TIME TO NUT UP SON!

#65 jwcoombs, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Well to be fair... that is a video game.

But I agree, Carl in both mediums should have a melee weapon by now.

7. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

*scoffs* "Says you." -Glenn.

bit I agree with the agreement. Give Carl a damn melee weapon.

8. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. HondaS2kXD

overkill is underrated. He is a blacksmith, after all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. HondaS2kXD

I'm confused. How is he gonna use google maps without internet?

12. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Certain characters have access to the new-world internet.

Not as expansive as the old internet but its one big website. Information on safe-zones, established and destroyed places, walkers, famous survivors, groups and general new-world trivia.

There's also a chat-room and games.

But again... only certain characters have access to this, you must reach a certain level of importance before getting it.

13. jwcoombs

@HondaS2kXD @Tyler

No, none of that will do except maybe that Trojan style short sword.

No, I think Carl should be the first survivor in TWD to finally wield an ancient, simple, and super effective melee weapon, or weapons system, if you will, that I think should have been used in a work of zombie fiction a long time ago; and I actually find it absolutely ridiculous that it hasn't.

Carl should be trained on the shield and short spear(short sword as well; and possibly even the trident). And when I speak of a shield; I mean something simple and effective, of the small to medium size, forearm-mounted so as not to lose it and for better use, and it should be made of a lightweight material. Cold Steel makes a polycarbonate medieval-buckler style shield. It's the perfect size, shape, and weight for the application I'm referring to. It's unbelievable it hasn't been implemented sooner, a small shield strapped to ones forearm would make one a much more formidable zombie fighter, and much more efficient at being able to move through a large amount of the dead. You could block their bites and scratches and flailing arms, you could safely, and easily shove them, create distance, hold them off, and even move them out of your way. Last but not least, a shield can be used to strike and bludgeon just like any other blunt melee weapon. A small shield of this variety would be extremely effective, practical and useful. Just imagine if Rick and the gang had used them in the show when they cleared the prison; it would have been short work. And, as a compliment to the shield; for young Carl, I recommend the short spear as his primary offensive weapon. He can stab, slash, strike, and bludgeon, all while keeping, or creating distance. A very effective and useful weapon for someone of his age, and size. As he gets older, and stronger, and more versed in hand-to-hand combat; he will be able to graduate to things like the short sword and the trident. Another perk, is with Carl being a blacksmith apprentice under Earl Sutton; we already know Earl has mastered the art of forging combat spear tips for killing walkers; so he will no doubt pass this knowledge onto Carl. We also know Earl makes all the wonderful swords we've seen the patrolmen, guards and herders using. Carl will learn this as well. I think being the creator of his own arms would serve him well; and make him a much more refined, and formidable foe. He would be able to craft a blade or spear that would be custom tailored for him alone; one that would become an extension of his own arm; a weapon which embraces and enhances his strengths, and safeguards and compensates for his weaknesses.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

#73 jwcoombs, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  14. jwcoombs

Or maybe a boar spear, or a tomahawk. I personally love my hawks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. jwcoombs

Actually; that's exactly like the original internet. LOL

Just one giant message board/chat room. With a million different thread on every topic you could ever imagine. Those were basically your "websites".

16. HondaS2kXD

C'mon, [MENTION=25512]jwcoombs[/MENTION]. Doncha like my sweet loadout? Lol. I think Carl's still a little small to utilize a defensive loadout with a shield. Light and fast is the name of the game for him, and will be until he's about sixteen. Some throwing knives for ranged stealth kills. A shortsword or sai for primary melee. The sai seems like a really good idea now that I think about it. All the advantages of Clem's screwdriver, but the added benefit of a hilt. And you can twirl it, which can kill with looks alone. If you want to protect yourself against Zeke, I think a shield is a bit overkill. Vambraces would offer the same level of protection, but on both arms, and without the added bulk.

17. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Chainmail... And I would go with a flail or mallet for Carl. He is a big boy now, I think he can handle it.

18. HondaS2kXD

Meh. Too much wasted energy. Even for me, and I'm a big dude. I'd probably use a screwdriver at first-- until I get around to making my ideal weapon. The screwdriver's good because it breaks through the skull with ease and then doesn't get stuck. And it's only one handed so you can dual world them. And they're light so you can carry several. Eventually I'd take a claw hammer and modify it-- taking the blunt end and turning it into a big point. Smash through skulls with authority, but still won't get stuck. And I'd carry it on a loop like tyreese-- dats a sweet rig.

edit: I like the chain mail though. But with their limited resources, that's a lot of metal to spend. And it would also be very hot and heavy.

19. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Carl can show his skill at blacksmithing then. Even if just some sleeves, would go a long way, but I would want full protection for obvious reasons.

I agree that just a couple of screwdrivers can be a powerful weapon in the ZA, you gotta jazz them up a bit; Attach them to some sort of gauntlet, put a brass-knuckle handle on them, ect... And good times will be had by all

20. jwcoombs

LOL, I never imagined you as a big guy. I guess it's mostly because of the S2000; when I think Honda S2000 I think of someone about 5'10" 160lbs and real slick and hip, with expensive sunglasses and the newest coolest cell phone. LOL

Anyway; I'm totally with you on the hammer. I'm a contractor and carpenter; so I've got my tried and true 18 inch, 24 ounce framing hammer with axe handle; and I've been carrying it in the metal loops holster on my nail bag for years(It actually felt cool to be a construction worker for the first time when I saw Ty using the tool-belt rig). And I'll tell you what; although I'm very fond of a variety of melee weapons, and would ideally love to be proficient with a tomahawk or short sword; my primary melee weapon would most likely wind up being my hammer. After a decade or more of swinging that bastard for a living, driving nails, demolishing walls, busting apart anything that needs busting; I've become fiercely proficient with a framing hammer, and I know I would be able to drop zombies and living hostiles alike, with one clean hit to the dome.

But, if I wanted to customize my hammer, for effectiveness and style points, I would probably just modify a Cold Steel war-hammer. I would shorten the haft considerably, and maybe tweak a few other things. [​IMG]

Another tried and true melee weapon that is often overlooked, that would be a phenomenal method of defense against the dead is the old gun-stock war clubs, native american war clubs, and Irish shillelagh. These are simple, yet extremely effective and brutal, they require little to no maintenance whatsoever, they're strong, and can be easily repaired or re-crafted if need be.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Concerning the chainmail; I'm also a fan. But I agree that it would be very hot and heavy, and would be tedious work to be forged, all those tiny links. Also, how could Carl be sure he's doing it right, and that the mail will be effective? If I was going to go the chainmail route; I would try to find one of those modern day shark suits, much more light weight and tailored fit. [​IMG][​IMG]