Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by jwcoombs, Oct 1, 2014.

1. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

Yeah no one really stands out to me so far as the new general. The only other recent good guy I could see in that role is Abe. Numbers are no longer the issue. Like you said rick can strategize but who leads them in the trenches? Even isn't another war. This group doesn't seem that big but still. Neither did the saviors at first

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you imagine how terrifying it would be if this group is widespread? Knowing that any walker could suddenly speed up and strike out with a weapon?

3. Walker709

Walker709 Active Member

I wonder if these guys are some kind of a group of murderers.

4. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do these quislings seem to be unafraid of death? First it seemed as if they were testing Dante et al., so I assumed they'd back off once they'd judged the group's fighting skills. But then they kept going, killed Doug and the other guy, and then continued to taunt Dante even as he was cutting them down! They must be deranged from spending time among the walkers... I can't even imagine what their plan might be.

5. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Oooooh that's so cool/gruesome. Definitely wasn't expecting some maskies.

I have to admit, back when we were speculating the nature of these guys, none of our ideas seemed to intrigue me that much. Talking zombies? Meh. People who used zombies like Michonne? Been there, done that. But this twist is pretty shocking. They wear the faces of dead people as a mask. That's so disturbing. I love it.

Oh man. The next issue can't get here fast enough.

6. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

When Dante found the stitches at the back of the quisling's head that held the walker mask on, this immediately came to mind. Maybe Kirkman is a Slayer fan. ;)

http://youtu.be/5DMZ7BzrFZ0

7. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It was a pretty thin and sparse issue. They pulled a Fall of the Governor Part 1/2 on us here, no doubt about it.

8. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

If I thought there was no doubt I wouldn't be doubting it. This is a pretty major reveal and some time with new characters. I wouldn't want any of that fight cut either. It was awesome.

9. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

It was 1 page shorter than the last 2 issues

10. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

this story could have the potential to be great visually on TV, but who knows if it will be on long enough to reach this point

11. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

I think it is because October has five weeks this year maybe...

12. Jag

Jag Well-Known Member

Oh man I hope it does I really do there is so much potential with the tv show using this as a "road map" so to say

13. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

It could be bc there were like 2 or 3 full page spreads that had little dialog on them that made it seem shorter.

Regardless I love this issue. So excited to see where the next volume goes

14. Fenriradra

Fenriradra Member

on the whole using percussion firearms thing -
    I'm half inclined to think the gun is a huge bluff. It's 2 years about + 2 years of time jump; this is 4 years into the ZA. Either he's out of ammo or somehow has a couple random ammo-usable options.

I just think they wouldn't be making the ammo on the road, in the "nomadic" case. Wood camp fires would draw attention to themselves among their undead kin, and even then campfires generally reach temperatures around 800-1000F. This isn't hot enough to melt copper, aluminum, nickel, silver, or gold. It is hot enough to melt Lead, at least, though scavenging large quantities of lead would get rather unwieldy due to it's weight.

If they are making their own ammo in this way, they'd need some kind of furnace like at Hilltop, or otherwise some functional industrial furnace similar to what we see at Sanctuary. It's just not something they'd easily be able to do wandering around with a herd.

What's more likely, IMO, is scavenging ball bearing parts. They're common enough, are "ready made", and not a high priority target to scavenge in the ZA (unlike food, water, or medication).

on Rick being a 5-star General -
    I don't think it's the end of Rick. He's a bit rusty on the field as evidenced earlier in this volume, but he pretty much spearheaded taking down Negan. I think Jesus would be the one "on the field" doing the dramatic one-liners and so on. If only because he was the one that appeared to be 'in charge' of taking control of the herd that almost got Magna. I'd expect to see more Heath and such too.

Just remember to ask yourself though; in current society, you *rarely if ever* see the leaders actually participating in combat. The President doesn't go over to Syria to lay waste to ISIS, for instance. Even with smaller scale scuffles, it's not the Godfather to get his hands dirty with mob affairs. I think Rick is closing in on reaching that point; where even in conflicts he's not really the one to lead the battle directly, but is the superior officer giving the orders.

15. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

we could hear "Oh man, talking walkers? This show has jumped the shark" for weeks until the reveal

16. Sco

Sco Member

and we tell those noobs to read the comics to avoid further ass-hattery

17. Neuropyramidal

They cut some corners here. The quisling thing was pretty drawn out, and we got a few frames of Hilltop. Much less meat than most issues. If they had developed the Andrea predicament out a bit more fully, I would have called it on par with most full issues.

#57 Neuropyramidal, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  18. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

F*ccccccccccccccccccccccccccck! An issue came out today?! Full time jobs are stupid.

19. Neuropyramidal

If they make it here, I think we'd be looking at least season 9, so we can keep our fingers crossed. This is one of those things that could go either way. It could either be a great tv visual, or a completely cheesy farce. With Nicotero on board, I think it helps it move towards the former though.

20. Tony Davis

Tony Davis Administrator
    Staff Member

Negan's arrival in the show determines what season things happen, in my mind