Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Discussion

Discussion in 'Volume 22: A New Beginning' started by jwcoombs, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Right, I think a lot of it just depends on how much material they want to add that is extraneous to the comics. A few more half-seasons of Terminus type sidetracks, and we could make it to season 11 before the end All Out War. All Out War itself could last 3 seasons if they want it to. Or they could swap things around and do the quisling thing before we meet Negan. Time will tell. Over all, I think we are pretty lucky. The fans of many other shows are just wondering it there will even be another season. Our worries are what the plot will be like 4 seasons from now. :)

2. Something2Fear

This was the first issue in awhile that legitimately shocked me. I had a feeling it was going to be humans covering themselves in walker bits, but I didn't expect them going full blown leatherface. Dayum.

Thank God the walkers weren't actually talking, though. That would've been a little too out there for me.

3. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

That one reminds me so much of the ghouls in Fallout.

4. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

Holy Sheeet!! That was a awesome issue!

5. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I liked this issue. The Whisperers are frigging awesome. So glad to finally have confirmation the walkers aren't talking. The whisperers will add a new danger to the walkers we've gotten used to.

I liked the quiet, happy moments at the hilltop. But it serves only to make me think some really bad shit is about to hit a big, metal fan.

speaking of, magna has officially pissed me off. She can go die in a hole now.

6. Something2Fear

Although I don't wish for Magna to die in a hole, I'm failing to understand her group's role in the story. She didn't free Negan, but she's still suspicious of Rick. Now that we have a new bad guy group I'm curious to see if Magna's uncertainty will had served any purpose or if it's just an unnecessary repeat of how Rick felt when he first arrived at Alexandria.

7. jwcoombs

jwcoombs Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, most likely the "Kentucky Long Rifle" an iconic American weapon that changed the world of firearms forever. I would love to have one hanging over my mantle piece; it's too bad it's not in firing condition.

Does it look like this?--
    [​IMG]

Also, I can relate to suffering alongside a loved one with Alzheimer's. I watched my grandfather slowly deteriorate; it was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever witnessed. The hardest thing in the world is looking into the eyes of a person you've loved your entire life, and seeing in those eyes that they genuinely do not recognize you. But they have their bad, really bad days; but they also have their good days; those beautiful moments of clarity when it appears as if they never "left". I guess we just have to be thankful for those blessed moments; and do our best to be there for them, and help to ease the pain. I'm sorry you're having to witness this, it's not fair to any of the parties involved. And, although you don't know me from a can of peas; I, and plenty others here are certainly here for you.

8. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I think it'll lead to something. Tension is picking up issue by issue, with a bunch of subplots happening all at the same time (Magna, Negan, the "Whisperers," I think there was a herd as well)… It'll take some time, but I'm betting that there's some pretty explosive material to come when shit hits the fan.

Am I the only one still liking Magna? Ambushing and attacking Andrea pissed me off, but I find myself not holding it against them because they need some time to adjust to the peace and start trusting.

9. jwcoombs

That's where one of my big fears came from; there's really no telling how widespread, and how strong their numbers are. They could be all around the communities, even the country. Hell, they could have been laced into the mega-herd from #127, and other herds they mentioned driving in the past. That could be what alerted them to the communities, was the herding.

It's clear, from seeing Dante, Doug, and Rick look-a-like's fighting skills, and styles, that they are very good and effective; but something that was made abundantly clear was that they have trained themselves, and grown dangerously accustomed to the dead being slower, dumber, and uncoordinated. They've developed an entire, new fighting style based on these characteristics, notices how they never block or guard themselves, also allowing yourself to be surrounded and flanked in battle with the living is a no-no, but they allow it with the dead; because they have no cognitive abilities or dexterous motor skills. So, in layman's terms; they've grown comfortable, almost lazy in their combat discipline and combat doctrine for walkers. Which is understandable; because part of becoming an accomplished zombie fighters, is learning to calm down, swallow your panic, and take advantage off all their physical and mental shortcomings. But these very methods, have now become extremely dangerous, and life-threatening to fighters when these quislings could be among any pack of the dead. They're going to have to re-learn how to fight, defensively instead of offensively.

It's downright frightening to think that you could hack through 100 shambling corpses, only to have to one of them get inside your kill-box and then draw a blade, and speed up and slit your throat. They psychological aspect alone would be daunting, and debilitating. Think about it; you've been living in the ZA for 4 or 5 years; you feel you've developed a decent understanding of the dead, you've become a proficient fighter of the dead, all in all you've become a battle-hardened apocalyptic warrior. But then, in the heat of battle you begin to hear whispers that can't be pin-pointed; that's enough to complete distract you right there. Then, all of a sudden you see a walker in your periphery moving at blistering speeds, and when you turn it's too late; the blades already in you. It would be a total psyche-out, a mind-f*ck. I'm very impressed that Dante handled it so well; and was able to keep his head; and be methodical, and scientific about things. Rather than jumping to conclusions, and being completely psyched out like Doug(the guys who said "Just f*cking RUN!".

Also, in addition to the threat I mentioned early; of them possibly posing a serious threat to the communities if they have some pretty immense undead numbers. There is something else that worries me. It's more of a mid to long-term threat/reprecussion, but it makes my skin crawl nonetheless. Especially because it can happen, without the quislings even intending to do it--

And the repercussions are terrifying. We know the zombies are herd animals. If one zombie has that rare moment of doing something on his own others will see it and follow that lead. Which is why you can have herds potentially miles long.

But these people. They're in it. They're fully capable of thought. And with that, they can control entire herds of roamers/walkers just by being a leading and thinking example. These people... They might be batshit crazy (from what we've seen) but their potential as a threat is unparalleled.

10. jwcoombs

That thought crossed my mind as well. Because if you remember, Jesus, when first encountered in issue #92, showed the group his weapons, and explains how his ammo stores ran dry ages ago and that he carries the firearms around for show.

But, at the same time; percussion firearms would be easy to maintain in a ZA, and the ammo would be much more easily replenished than cartridge ammunition.

11. jwcoombs

This statement about the need for a furnace couldn't be more incorrect. As you know, hand-cast lead bullets, of course, date back hundreds of years before the appearance of jacketed bullets.

The great bison slaughter of the 18th century was carried out with cast-lead bullets. Hunters would retrieve bullets from buffalo carcasses, then remelt and recast them over campfires and kill more buffalo with the same lead the next day.

There is no need for a furnace, or any type of forging "facilities" needed to hand-cast lead bullets. That was the beauty of it; that it could be done quickly and on the fly. Bullets could even be cast, or recast in the midst of battle.

I'm a gun enthusiast myself; and I've been reloading for several years now. I reload several calibers of cartridge ammunition, as well as shotgun shells, and black powder ammo(e.g. paper cartridges, lead balls, etc.)

That being said; there are only 4 tools necessary to easily, correctly, effectively, and quickly, cast and recast lead balls. All four of these tools a simple hand tools and can all be carried in a single backpack.

All you need to cast lead bullets in the field is a lead melting pot, a side-pour dipper, a lead ball mold, and of course, a campfire. These three simple and small hand tools would easily fit, and be easily carried in any ordinary backpack of rucksack. Also, concerning your statement of the scavenging of lead being to unwieldy and difficult due to it's weight; you don't need to scavenge a hundred pounds of lead and carry it with you. You just scavenge what you need, as you need it, and then make sure you always have "X" amount of cast lead balls ready to fire in your ammo pouch(say 30 or 40). There is no need to carry around extra lead stock. The reason why this would be practical and effective, is because a smart person's primary source of lead stock for casting ammo would be the lead weights used to balance the wheels on all vehicles. In the apocalypse, especially with TWD's 5000:1 ratio; there would be a plethora of abandoned cars, and every single car has heavy lead weights on the wheels(usually all four). So when your pouch begins to run low you just step outside and pull some lead weights off of a few cars, start a small campfire and cast away.

Here's pictures of all the necessary tools so you can see how simple, and manageable they are--

Lead Melting Pot
    [​IMG]

Side-Pour Dipper
    [​IMG]

Lead Ball Mold
    [​IMG]

And, obviously, this is the only tool that can't be carried in your pack; the campfire--

[​IMG]

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I'm still giving Magna's group the benefit of the doubt. We don't know their full backstory. Maybe they fell into a honey trap before, and took up with a group like the Saviors or the Termites from the show, and bad things happened, and that's what's fuelling their suspicion.

They're certainly going about things the wrong way, though, and it's frustrating me. Say they question Andrea and determine she's telling the truth and the ASZ is legit. Then what? Will Andrea (or Rick) let them stay after they ambushed her? They're shooting themselves in the foot.

13. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

It could be like it. He got it from a guy years ago, who owed him money. He has had it since, on his deer head wall. Lol.
    And thank you for the kind words.
    According to my father, I am Just Someone who lives there and takes care of the place. And he is to the point, he throws tantrums. It's really sad and sometimes frustrating.

14. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are going about it worse than the keystone cops after eating bad mushrooms. If we put ourselves in their shoes, they are in a community of maybe well over 100 people, and they are suspicious of its intentions. If you think the group could be evil, why would you go right to one of the leaders and accost them in their home? How could that end well? The leader would just lie to you, and then when the other leaders got back you'd be dead, or worse. I can't see any possible scenario where that plan would end well. What they should be doing is just getting to know the residents of the town. The little people. The woman with 2 children whose job is to tend the tomato garden and hand out lipstick. After talking to a few people, it wouldn't be that hard to tell if these people really felt secure here, or if they lived in fear of the leaders.

15. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

Man what an awesome issue. I know it has to smell in those walker masks. These guys have to be way too crazy I cannot wait.

16. cpump

cpump Member

Issue 132

Awsome issue cant wait to see what these phycos are up too

17. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bet it smells like something died in there or something. :p

Awesome plan though, kind of like perma-"Guts" stitching yourself into a walker-suit for cammo. I am certain that they do use their ability to blend in to lead herds to wherever they want. Steering from within, so to speak. Perfect protection from the undead, with the added bonus of being able to get the drop on unsuspecting folks who think they got the dead all figured out.

18. ImDrunk

ImDrunk Member

Holy crap! "The leatherfaces" are awesome! I liked the calm moments with Rick, Maggie and Carl but the ending was the best part of this issue, this new group might be a pain in the ass!
    I will have to agree that it must smell REALLY BAD inside those walker masks lol.

19. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

I will say one thing: these happy, calm scenes in the ASZ and the hilltop are making me very anxious. Something bad has to happen soon. But I just can't put my finger on what.

20. ZigZagMan40

ZigZagMan40 Member

I am waiting for the weather to play as a factor like a big freeze or a hurricane but I guess but a lot of people would probably not go for for that. I hope Dante survives and i am ready to see what Magna's questions are going to be.