Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Do Walkers have associations with their pasts?

Discussion in 'Episode 303 - Walk with Me' started by F.A.S.H, Oct 29, 2012.

1. F.A.S.H

F.A.S.H New Member

Do you think the question posed by the scientist is leading to something?

He asks if Andrea and Michonne think the Walkers have associations with their past lives, but we already know that they do.........

Remember in Season 1, when Rick meets a man in his home with his son? Didn't he say that his wife kept coming back to the door, like she knew it was her house.......

I think the question is definitely leading somewhere, possibly to a Walker being kept in the town belonging to the Governor......

2. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

It might be good point. I mean they are bringing that up again, but the again who knows. The little girl zombie also carried around her Teddy Bear which shows that as well.

I have not read the comics, so I am not sure of who The Governor is and what associations he has.

3. Zombie Lover

Zombie Lover Active Member

I was just re-watching episode 1 season 1 and realized that the little girl that Rick first encounterd who was a walker did bend down and pick up the teddy bear. So, I'd also say, yes they keep some part of themselves.

4. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well if course since they can walk, that's a learned repetitive function.

I think only very basic long term functions such as walking, sitting etc, there is nothing left of their personality or who they were before reanimation..

5. F.A.S.H

F.A.S.H New Member

Im sorry to disagree but if you go back to some of the very first episodes it shows the mans wife coing back to the door, and he says she does it everyday, like she knows where she lives. That's not a learned repetitive function, and it clearly shows it in the series in different parts.

6. Benzel

Benzel Member

I watched series 1 again recently and I came to the conclusion that it could be that because she'd just turned (I don't know how long the little girl had been turned but seeing as she was near her teddy I don't think it'd been long) that she still had some kind of residual memories. Remember that house wasn't Morgan's family home, it was just a house they'd holed up in. Maybe after a period of time you finally lose every part of your former self. Even Amy looked like she was cradling Andrea's face for a brief moment before she started to take a firmer grip.

Having said all of that, Jenner says that it's just basic motor functions that come back. There were some contradictions throughout the first series, that they eventually ironed out.

7. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, they retain slight memories of their past lives. Kirkman took this straight from Romero's Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

(The survivors in the mall in Dawn)
    Fran: "Why do they come here?"
    Stephen: "Some kind of instinct. A memory of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives...."

8. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

For the answer, refer back to season two with Jenner at the CDC...

Jenner explains that the reanimation virus/infection/thing affects the cerebral cortex rendering it inoperable. The cerebral cortex controls memories, fine motor skills, speech etc

9. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

In season 2, when they went into the church (while searching for Sophia) the parishioners were sitting in the pews facing forward. Obviously they are leading up to something with the question posed.

I wonder if the Governor saved his wife's and daughter's heads. If HE thinks they retain memories, he may have. Plus it might explain the head aquariums beyond the obvious "governor's a psycho" explanation.

10. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Jenner also didn't know what he was doing half the time. I don't know why some fans put so much stock into what he said and cling onto every little word. The guy admited he was basically the Janitor or office clerk....

11. jacobmarley

jacobmarley Member

Bassman, I agree. Plus we are dealing with reanimated corpses. All previous medical knowledge is suspect when it comes to evaluating them.

12. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Considering we're onto the third season of walkers who just shuffle, bite/chew & tear people open, I'd say his word was accurate..

13. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't see how this relates. Everyone knew this is what the walkers did. It doesn't mean Jenner was 100% correct about everything.

It's just like some fans being determined to believe it's strictly a viral outbreak. Apparently they didn't listen to Jenner's dialogue when he said he only worked at the CDC, was not a top researcher, and had absolutely no idea what actually caused the dead to reanimate.

14. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I will quote what the governor said, which I really liked.. not accurate, kinda forgot it.
    "Applying Logic to Chaos."

I mean speculating about the nature of the Walkers is like talking about the moon without the invention of Telescope.

15. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

I don't think it was so much because she remembered her family was there as she had the basic idea that there might be fresh meat there. Seriously I know its weird but if anything I would think it was more muscle memory, the way your body can do a repetitive act without you ever thinking about it because you've done it so often. I don't think there are any thoughts firing off in them. Maybe I just don't want to believe that there could be anything human left inside them, because that would be just awful.

16. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

If something was really important to a person in life then the zombie may have a compulsion towards that thing without knowing why. Just like all the zombies feeling pulled to the mall in Romero's Dawn, or Steven remembering the hidden passage in Dawn, or the little girl in the pilot picking up her teddy bear. A zombie doesn't have actual memories but there are echos. Morgan's wife died in that house so now her zombie is pulled there, but she has no clue why because she has no higher brain function and can't reason or think.

17. JohntheRevelator

JohntheRevelator New Member

The Governor wants there to be something remaining of the person that was. We know hes insane already. Fro the end of your post i assume you have read "The rise of the Governor". I think the walker belonging to the governor will appear some point, the story from the book is too good for show to ignore.

18. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

What about when the zombified mother TURNED THE DOOR'S KNOB??? O_O
    Do you remember that?

19. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no purpose for dead to remember who they were. Are they supposed to have some kind of nostalgia before ripping you apart ?

20. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree, this is a great explanation..