Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Don't Blink

Discussion in 'Episode 607 - Heads Up' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It still makes sense. Closing your eyes isn't a reflex, and it doesn't take them any extra energy to have eyes closed while lying dormant without stimulation. If anything, it would preserve energy by freeing the brain from processing any visual stimulation at that time. The nerves going to mouth and larynx are still needed for swallowing, so it seems as a side effect they still make guttural articulations when stimulated by food. The fact is they still, from everything we've seen, lack unnecessary reflexes. So it follows they also lack the blink reflex.

#21 Neuropyramidal, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

How much more energy would it take to keep their eyes open while lying dormant? Not to mention they'd be more likely to FIND prey than if they had their eyes closed.

As you know, without air passing over the vocal cords, no sound is produced. This is not a function of the laryngeal nerves, but of movement of the diaphragm that is not needed to swallow or chew. Since they make sound, their diaphragm is moving. There's no reason for it to, and that would waste a lot more energy than keeping one's eyes open.

3. Neuropyramidal

No, this topic has been discussed many times in other threads. In the TWD world, they [the walkers, anyway] do not need their diaphragm to move in order to move air. This doesn't make sense in real world anatomy, but its a necessary evil we need to accept in TWD world, because its what we are shown. We know this because decapitated heads still are able to make the guttural noises. There's been several decapitated heads that have made noise, but the most notable is Hershel. Go rewatch the scene just before Michonne stabs his head. He is making obvious guttural noises. So in their world, if a head can make noise, then they don't need the diaphragm. I don't like it either, but if it is directly shown to us, multiple times, we are forced to accept the diaphragm is not needed for walkers to do that.

This is the hard place and rock in this argument. It makes no physical sense, but it also makes no sense to claim that their 'unnecessary' diaphragm is working, when we've been shown on screen many times the noise being produced without a diaphragm. So its a logical impasse.

This doesn't change the fact that we don't see the unnecessary reflexes such as sneezing, startle, pulling hand from hot objects, etc, so its still logical they would not blink. To say they still should blink would mean to say they should still jerk away from a hot object or still sneeze. But they don't.

#23 Neuropyramidal, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  4. plotholes

plotholes Member

So now I'm wondering, the walkers do have a sense of sight?

5. Neuropyramidal

They do, so they must retain some occipital lobe function, unless 'sight' is processed completely in the brainstem of walkers. Something I'm sure we will never know, lol

6. daveainthere

daveainthere Member

Walkers should not blink....BUT walker David could not believe his eye that Glenn was alive, therefore he blinked!

We have seen walkers with their guts hanging out making noise...and as emperor Nero points out, a bodyless walker makes noise. I think that is just mouth farts...all them juices and stuff moving around when they get excited.

Who's that Doctor?

7. ellisfella

ellisfella Member

The poor guy had a blinking problem.

8. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

That was my first thought too, when I read the thread title. Great episode, the Weeping Angels still creep me out

9. darkrosenberg

darkrosenberg Member

Maybe he blinked because like most of us, he couldn't believe that Glenn actually made it out of that walker sh*t storm alive.

10. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

It thus stands to reason walkers no longer fart, at least I have not heard a single fart this entire movie. I mean not at all, not even one puny lonely fart in all of the seasons. Granted the living haven't farted either, it is so strange watching a world without farting.

11. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Ugghh, can you imagine how a walker fart would smell? :(

12. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

hahaha Now I imagine them coming across something repulsive and someone recoiling and saying, "Man, have walkers been farting in here?!?"