Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Down hill

Discussion in 'Episode 313 - Arrow on the Doorpost' started by Hank, Mar 15, 2013.

1. nuglife

nuglife Member

A lot of people like me actually love these "filler" episodes. I've watched this last episode 5 times now and love how perfectly it set up the story. I think this season has brought in even more fans and a lot more people who actually enjoy back stories and tension build up. These episodes are necessary to add to the emotional power of what's about to go down in these last 3 episodes of the season. I love getting to know these characters and watchin them converse. You can't remove all the politics of a finely crafted drama without making it overly repetitive and heartless. It's part of what makes the complete season so amazing.

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you took out all these "filler" or "talky" episodes then the story would just not be nearly as good as it is. Talking and having story other than non stop action does not make an episode tedious. If you hate episodes like this I would honestly just not watch because they will happen and NEED to happen.

3. theNextmrsGrimes

theNextmrsGrimes Active Member

I can't wait to see the deleted scenes from S3. I have the patience of a jelly bean - and want the DVD NOW!!

4. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

I really don't get this type of criticism. Talk is what all movies and TV shows are about. It's the dialogue that moves the plot forward and develops the characters. If a person has criticism of a particular scene, and they think the dialogue was not in continuity with the character, or that it could have been better written, that's fine. But otherwise who wants to watch non-stop action? That might work for a Bruce Willis film that you watch for 2 hours and leave the theater, but any show that builds an audience and runs 16 episodes and is now going on to its 4th season, just can't keep throwing zombie attacks and gunfights at you constantly.

5. luv it all

luv it all Active Member

I respect everybody's thoughts, people see things differently. I just wanted to say I've loved season 3. It has jumped to a higher level and is sooo much better than season 2. It's not going downhill. It's movin' on up... to a deluxe apartment in the sky-y-y, oops wrong show, but as like The Jeffersons, it looks like we finally got a piece of the pie. And I'm eatin' it up!

6. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

it's just the calm before the storm

7. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

So a good handful of folks say the show is going downhill, but the ratings are getting higher. There's a missing link.....

8. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

in IMDB board they say they should cancel it lol, with so many viewers and a gigantic fanbase why the hell AMC would cancel it, their most succesful show?, bad, trolling is bad.

9. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

I find it hilarious that people are fans of a show that doesn't get a lot of viewers so they complain not enough people are watching this "Great shit", and when that happens, "Oh it's mainstream, it's a disaster." Cry me a river dummies.

Anyways, TWD's fanbase is so diverse that we have some intelligent fans, and not-so intelligent fans. But I see the dummies all around the web, especially facebook.

10. Zugzwang

Zugzwang Member

I'm psyched about Carol's deleted scene with Merle, and the one with Daryl and a horse. Looking forward to cast interviews as well. :D

11. Obomonus

Obomonus Member

I like what you said here. But is it really calm? I think the meeting of Rick and the Gov was probably more mentally violent than any other espisode. It was fantastic. These two wanted to rip each other apart.

While I love a good shoot-out or zombie-pile, there has to be some character development or who the hell would care if someone got killed?

Loving this season.

12. Hank

Hank Member

Interesting to hear people's different thoughts, and some food for thought there. But I think some people are mistaking my argument as being for non-stop action versus character development and interaction. Because actually I think the character development and interaction of The Walking Dead is excellent, and one of its many strengths, and it would be all the poorer without it.

My point is that drama needs a balance, and needs things to actually happen to propel a storyline forward, otherwise it stagnates and becomes a show about discussions and loses the dramatic edge. For two episodes in a row there has been no substantial plot development and the same ground has been laid as was already laid through the first half of the series. In my opinion, the story is flagging and repeating itself.

Which is actually also, I suggest, detrimental to character development and interaction, because the character development and interaction which has historically been so good in the series begins to suffer drastically when there is no plot momentum, nothing fresh for characters to develop through or interact over.

It was good to see the Glenn and Maggie relationship move forward. Apart from that one scene, I'm sorry to say I found the last two episodes lacking anything fresh.

But hey, as someone pointed out, if I was just left with Jeremy Kyle and Eastenders, THEN I'd have problems. At least The Walking Dead has gripped me enough to care. And frankly, it's generally so brilliantly done, I guess I can forgive what I feel is the occasional slip.

13. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Don't stop posting. You always make me laugh my arse off.

14. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I am so stealing this phrase. I'll make sure I attribute it to you though.