Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Driving like a moron out on a run

Discussion in 'Episode 404 - Indifference' started by Dead man walking, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Dead man walking

Now daryl's my favourite character but what the hell? Looking for cds and tuning the radio while driving? When you know how dangerous the environment is. I wouldn't take my hand soff the wheel or my eyes off the road and certainly wouldn't be speeding too fast. and then when they get packed in he slams it into reverse like having a panic attack - when was the last time he drove a car? Should stick to his bike and let someone else drive in future.

Just look what happened? Daryl's fault they got 'jammed up' in his panic.

The inconsequential black dude who likes his booze (can't remeber his name) should have pointed that out when Daryl had a go about the meds; 'well at least I didn't crash the car.'

2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

My first thought upon seeing that scene was of Lori's crash in Season Two. There were dozens of threads with tons of members cursing how incredibly stupid she was to be looking at a map while driving. Cut to Season Four with Daryl doing the exact same thing and everyone is basically like "mehh...mistakes happen..".

:zombies_confused:

3. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Yes, it's only women drivers who are bad. Everyone knows that.

4. Suedeanthracite

I commented on another thread that Daryl should stick with his bike. At least he wasn't drinking and texting!!

5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I don't know, I remember seeing both sides of the argument in both cases. There were a few 'stupid Daryl' posts as well. But if more people criticized Lori it could have had something to do with the fact that Daryl was actually on an important mission, while Lori was just running of half cocked, just causing more people to come up missing.

6. Neuropyramidal

If any of us ever survive by the skin of our teeth for 18 months in a ZA, and suddenly hear a news broadcast on the radio about a safe place, we'll probably take our eyes off the road for a few seconds too. I doubt i'd be worrying about having my hands at 10 and 2 and my eyes 'properly scanning the area' at that moment. :p

#6 Neuropyramidal, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  7. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

I thought it was pretty dumb, too. There were four people in the car. Let someone else mess with the radio. Plus, what was the deal with them just sitting there, staring at the herd? He shoulda thrown it in reverse sooner, imo. I get that they were all shocked, but this far into the ZA, they should know better.

Unfortunately, sometimes characters have to make stupid decisions just to build tension. It kind of brings me out of the moment if it seems like a really stupid ooc decision, though. If they all hesitated every time they saw or heard something shocking, they never would have made it this far.

8. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

All these posts make it sound like they sat there for like 2 years. it was 20 seconds at the most. All that they just saw and heard was very shocking and crazy. Where are you people getting your instantaneous reaction times? I don't have them.

9. Neuropyramidal

Instantaneous reaction times are easy to imagine from the comfort of our armchairs, without a zombie for thousands of miles...;)

10. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

Neither do I.

Someone who has survived over a year in the ZA should. People whose lives depend on responding quickly will learn to respond quickly. I don't see what's so unbelievable about that.

#10 Chickadee, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  11. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

Instantaneous reaction times would be much easier for me to imagine with a zombie within a thousand miles. :zombies_lol:

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't really know how to respond. A soldier of ten years or more wouldn't have instantaneous reactions in a battle. No one does. If they drove into 7,000 men standing in the road they'd pause too. He did not react slowly. It was less than 30 seconds at absolute most! Surviving a year doesn't make you immune to shock. They'd never seen that and the radio distracted him too.

13. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

Posted this elsewhere
    Also what time they would 'save' by taking a muscle car would be lost (and a lot more) the second they come up on a wreck that blocked the road, a road that was washed out or any situation that caused them to turn around where they may have been able to throw an SUV into four wheel drive and avoid the obstacle.

14. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Exactly !

15. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

If you think that a 30-second response time is to be expected from people whose lives depend on thinking and acting quickly, then I don't know how to respond either. Agree to disagree, I guess. =]

I don't think it's fair to say, well, I can't do this, and you can't do this, and this hypothetical person can't do this... So, no one can do this. Humans are far too varied and react in too many different ways to expect all of them to react in one particular way: to freeze. While many, maybe even most of us would, I think that the flight response would kick in on a lot of people once they came across zombies as far as the eye can see.

Ultimately, they did it on the show to create tension. If this were a real-world scenario, I think all of them would've been dead. The people who freeze get eaten. The people who have adapted to get the hell out of dodge the moment they sense trouble, would live another day.

16. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

it really doesn't make sense that someone who was hugely shocked by 2 different things in the span of 2 minutes would have instantaneous reaction times. He did not sit very long. I find it massively aggravating that the writing is slighted every time characters make mistakes. No one alive would have been perfect in that situation. He still backed up almost immediately after initial freak out. The time they survived is how they were able to bounce back and get out alive. It's absolutely ridiculous to think even what they've been through renders them immune to emotion or shock when real life pretty much disproves that completely. Getting the hell out of dodge quickly? that exactly what they did. Only without the superhuman abilities they apparently should have gained by now.

17. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

You have absolutely no way of knowing that no one alive would have reacted a certain way to, well, anything. As I said before, the human race is way too unpredictable for that. I think it's ridiculous to assume you know how literally every single person manages every single situation.

Yes, they did survive. I mentioned in my last post that if that had been real life, I don't think they would have. You don't need superpowers to know that thousands of zombies are something you need to get away from before they start surrounding the car. If they've lived that long in a ZA, they should know to be vigilant. That's the only way anyone would live that long. All the people who were easily distracted and/or froze in front of a herd would be zombie chow.

Anyway, this is all just my opinion. I don't mind discussing things. That's what I joined for! =] But if my opinion aggravates you that much, let's just do what I suggested earlier and agree to disagree?

18. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know everything everyone would do. i don't see how I need to or said I did. No one alive being perfect is true. The whole point is it's perfectly believable for the delay (which was short to begin with) to happen.

He backed up before the actual herd got anywhere near him. it just got stuck on the 5 zombies that had already been behind them. They reacted very quickly. I just think it's about as fast as anyone really would. (or most people)They don't freeze facing zombies anymore. But facing herds of thousands suddenly? yes. lol

I don't count stopping after seeing a herd 3 times the size of anything you know of and hearing a living voice on a radio for the first time since it all started as easily distracted. Probably the most distracting thing that could have happened in that moment. It's just we aren't watching action movies. Actually real people who make mistakes like every single person does is refreshing and important. Instant reaction times isn't real. it's movie cliche.

My posts come off more aggressive than I intend. Mostly i'm just blunt but that doesn't come off well in text. I used to always mention that i'm just tired of doing it lol. no hard feelings. I'm glad to discuss! :p also I just noticed your avy. I LOVE Borderlands!

#18 legendx66, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  19. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

To be fair, you said, "No one alive would have been perfect in that situation." I honestly don't think everyone would freeze, or end up in that situation to begin with.

It is perfectly believable to have a delay. What I'm saying is that the people who do have a delay are the people who get eaten. I'm not arguing that people never make mistakes. I'm just saying that, by this point in time, the people who make the biggest mistakes (freezing up, for example) are would probably already be dead. It would be survival of the fittest.

The stragglers surrounded the car. That's why they had to ditch it.

Oh, okay, that's cool. I used to be the same way, kinda. That's why I throw smileys everywhere most of the time. :zombies_lol: They make everything look friendlier.

Yeah, it took me forever to pick an avatar. I put a ridiculous amount of time into both games. xD

#19 Chickadee, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  20. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

No one alive would be perfect in any situation. Because no one is perfect. Everyone would freeze at some point unless they are Clint Eastwood in a western.

The car got stuck. they weren't in danger until that happened. Once it got stuck they had to jump out and fight. They are the most capable zombie killers of the group so it's easy to believe they could fight through the relatively small number around them.

Of course people freezing would get a lot killed but that doesn't mean everyone won't freeze or it will always kill them. It doesn't work like that.

I hardly ever change my avy. I just did it for the first time in awhile though. I stick with the black and white theme.