Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Driving like a moron out on a run

Discussion in 'Episode 404 - Indifference' started by Dead man walking, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

I disagree. Just because no one is perfect doesn't mean they can never do the right thing or make the right decision. People often do make the right call.

Honestly, I think it would have less to do with thought process and more to do with fight or flight, anyway. Flight, in particular. Muscle memory and plain old survival instinct will kick in to pull people through the situations where stopping to think will get them killed. While some people will be sitting there staring in shock thinking, "What, why and how?" others are going to have that flight response once they see more zombies than they can count. xD People naturally try to get away from danger.

They were in danger the moment they drove that close to a herd. The most capable zombie killers shouldn't have needed to fight their way out. The best way to survive isn't to fight, but to avoid.

I'm not saying that everyone is going to do this or everyone is going to do that. I firmly believe that many people will have many different responses. The thing is, that far into the apocalypse, the types of people who reacted in the worst ways are probably mostly dead. The ones who aren't are extremely lucky, imo.

It looks good. Is it from Avatar?

2. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Of course they can still make good decisions but it doesn't make it bad when they screw up.

Where and how did they not not try to flee. You really make it sound like they had a picnic and then looked at their watch and went... Crap we should leave.

It was a very (emphasis on very) short period as they looked at the herd. (which never caught up to them btw) and they had a jaw drop moment and then immediately ran in reverse. Daryl backed up very quickly. It has nothing to do with how fast he went back that the car got stuck on walkers that were behind him before he even got far enough to see the herd. They were in the clear from the herd and they never even fully came into contact with it. (except ty but he's diff. obviously). The type of people that reacted in the worst ways most likely are dead. The people that couldn't come to grips or who broke are mostly gone. A very quick split second delay after being majorly shocked is not the worst possible thing and is unavoidable honestly. Humans do not have perfect enough control to not pause at some point. It will undeniably happen and they will have to deal with it. As they did. No survivor should have to fight at all if they did everything perfect but they can't and never will. Life is a series of mistakes and dealing with them

yes it's Korra.

3. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

The flight response should kick in quickly. Otherwise, what good does it do?

The zombies the car got stuck on were part of the herd. They did drive into them at least a little ways, at least. When they drove in, the road was clear. When they went to back up, the zombies were already piling in around them. That's how they got stuck on a few.

A delay long enough for walkers to start closing in around them may not be the worst possible thing, but it's pretty darn bad. I think it would have been a deadly decision, outside of a TV show. You mentioned cliched actions scenes earlier. All the survivors (particularly Ty, after hesitating even further) fighting their way out safely seemed like the cliche, to me. Ty has some legitimate superpowers, fighting his way out of the middle of those walkers with a hammer. :zombies_lol:

4. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

It did! The whole point of my argument is they did not stop long. It was not much of a delay given the events. He backed up just fine. It got stuck on a zombie behind him. He only hit 2 zombies. I just rewatched. There were others but he didn't hit them.

Do you think every mistake equals death? I'm not defending that it wasn't a mistake. I'm just making the point that it's pretty laughable to expect that to not happen. Humans freak out. Since you mentioned it it's just these aren't action heroes. hat doesn't mean they can't get out. (if you maneuver right zombies are easy to outrun) and it shows exactly what you expect. Survivors hardened by long time survival bouncing back. It can't under any circumstances make them totally immune to shock or mistakes but it can prepare you to deal with them. Like they did. It being a tv show of course is undeniable but I don't think it;s a good argument they would die if it were real life. (as if we have anything to compare that to) Of course it's possible they would die. It's also possible they wouldn't. No way to know. We only know that they did for now.

How many people a day survive things that should have killed them? It's a matter of skill or just luck that keeps a lot of us alive. They managed to get out. Maybe that will happen 3 more times or maybe it won't. We'll see. People fighting out is plausible and happens in real life. Instant reaction times exist only in action movies. They are fake.

Ty was obviously a reference to a comic scene so who knows. We don't see what he did. There is a big opening when it cuts away. All he had to do was walk out of it.

#24 legendx66, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

I still think they stopped too long, and humans in a ZA should be doing their best not to put themselves in those situations. I think it's laughable to expect humans to react in only a certain way. I think the good guys fighting out once surrounded is a superpower.

It's been fun discussing it, but I don't see where to take the discussion from here. We're just repeating ourselves, now. If either of us were going to change our minds, I think we would have by now. =]

A little off-topic, but about Tyrese. I looked up the scene because I was starting to wonder if I was remembering wrong. xD While Daryl, Michonne, and Bob got out before the walkers got too thick, Ty was legitimately surrounded. I don't see the opening?

I didn't know that scene was influenced by the comic. Thanks for the factoid. It's pretty cool that they throw that in there for the fans of both.

6. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Where are you getting that people only act a certain way? i'm not saying that at all... I'm just saying it's believable and realistic that they would freeze at points. it isn't that they would never freeze. Actions like that are what ground this show in reality. If he just instantly backed up without even displaying emotion it would just reinforce Daryl is perfect crap. (of course he isn't) true we are good.

There was a bit of an opening with ty but he was mostly surrounded. On most sides there were also only like 2 zombies. Considering he was hammering down zombies it's pretty easy to believe he could make a bigger opening.

Yeah ty does the same in a gym in the comics. He's left alone thought dead and they find him a few days later sitting in an empty room with everything dead.

7. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

I guess I'm misunderstanding you, then. It seemed like you were saying that no one could have possibly reacted faster than Daryl in that situation, which I don't think is true. I think that people who lived so long would have honed their skills, by now. -Shrugs-

This is where we last see Ty:

[​IMG]

I dunno. Doesn't look good to me. The last thing we see is Ty killing the walker blocking him from view. From there, he'd have to jump over the dead bodies and get passed the two standing there waiting for him. Look at how close they are, though. A few seconds before this screen grab, there are a handful of zombies who are actually touching him. They're all just sort of patting his back, though, instead of pulling him down and chewing on him. :zombies_lol:

That's pretty cool. I should probably get around to reading the comics at some point.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It makes no sense that Tyreese got out of that alive. This is just one of these 'suspension of disbelief' moments, and there's no rationalizing it. But I forgive them. :p

9. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

No it's possible someone could react faster but it's not even remotely unbelievable that he reacted as he did. that was my point.

10. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

This is the best way to look at it. I forgive them, too. At the end of the day, it's still a good show. =]

11. Chickadee

Chickadee Member

My argument was just that most of the people who reacted like that would already have been gone. I'll admit that not all of them would, though, so consider the point understood. It was fun discussing it with you!

12. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Exactly, and I don't see memes saying how stupid is Daryl for doing the same thing than Lori...

13. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

kk. :p
    There were dozens of posts here. Plus different circumstances. A single zombie when she was on a run she should never have left on compared to running into a broadcast and massive herd on a run of critical importance.

14. shanewalking

I wasn't talking about the situations, the situations are different of course, I was talking about the mistake of not paying attention, if you are driving, especially in a zombie apocalypse you gotta pay attention, same mistake.

15. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the situations are too important to why they weren't paying attention to ignore.

And still. plenty of people bashed Daryl after it happened. (to a point of ridiculousness but still.) That's true for Lori too.

16. shanewalking

Really?, I didn't see much tbh, just one thread.

17. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

A very large thread and I saw it around everywhere for awhile.

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought the title of this thread was called "Driving like a mormon out on a run". That would have been so much cooler to talk about. Lol