Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Dwights pistol skills

Discussion in 'Episode 615 - East' started by gavuk, Mar 28, 2016.

1. gavuk

gavuk Member

In the scene in the forest where Dwight and 5/6 others capture Glenn and Michonne why is he holding his pistol like that? I'm not authority of holding a handgun but surely the forefinger is the one that pulls the trigger hence trigger finger? Dwight has the middle finger on the trigger, the fore finger on the side (?slide) and the grip held by his lower two digits.

In my (un)expert opinion that will do jack all for accuracy

Unless he has 7 fingers on his hand in which case the post is pointless

Can anyone screen shot it?

2. Johnnie Walker

Johnnie Walker Well-Known Member

3. gavuk

gavuk Member

Thanks but i meant the scene when they all whistle and he comes out from behind a tree (about 30 seconds before your screen shots)

4. maxlvtrojan

maxlvtrojan Member

It's not a completely unheard of technique for somebody with small hands, fingers, or a damaged index finger. And I'd imagine there are people to whom it just feels more comfortable, or they just believe it gives them better results. I'd never recommend it, but there are probably more qualified posters who could offer more insight.

5. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

As a firearms instructor I can say based on everything we've seen thus far, Dwight has no shooting skills to speak of. The Suck-O-Meter is bangin 100% on his mechanics and technique. Clear?

6. jojo

jojo Member

The scene he's referring to is when he aims at Glenn&Michonne, Dwight is holding it just as described.

7. Johnnie Walker

Johnnie Walker Well-Known Member

8. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

the top half of the pistol slides back when the shot is fired, right? so if he actually fired a gun like this wouldn't he end up with the world's worst stubbed index finger?

9. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

As long as the web of his hand is high on the tang of that grip safety, it would lie under the slide and Dwight would NOT be bitten by the slide as he was by Eugene.

Also worth noting that the prop gun he was given doesn't have a functional slide...

In any case, Dwight will not injure himself shooting in this ridiculous fashion. Neither will he put a hole in whatever he is dreaming of shooting. Just LOOK at this amazing photo and consider for a moment:

1. Dwight does not have a proper grip on the gun. He can have no expectation of control or accuracy because he holds a gun like a primate who doesn't know how to make fire.
    2. Dwight has no sight picture. Guns are equipped with front and rear sights. NONE OF THEM are being used by Dwight. In this photo the sights appear to be raised up to the middle of his forehead/temple. Useless.

10. Zombie_Penguin

Cause he's an Idiot, hence why Daryl isn't dead

11. offrope

offrope Active Member

With any other Model 1911 pistol, that would be true. Luckily for him, on the particular pistol Dwight is using, the slide does not move when fired. Watch when he shoots Daryl - the slide doesn't move.

12. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

Dwight's pistol skills sucks. Point blank!

13. Morgotha

Is that what would happen on an actual gun, or just on a Hollywood special?

14. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

15. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Offrope is not technically correct. Fingers along the left side of the slide will have no damage. A shooter who places ANY portion of the hand BEHIND the slide will get a lesson they won't forget. The RIGHT side of the slide has the ejection port. Not a good idea to have fingers there. But the left side of the slide is not only harmless- but a good contact point for both thumbs so that the shooter has a maximum amount of meat on the gun. Good contact improves control results in more accurate shooting. Maybe I'll scrounge around for a pic of what I'm describing.

Offrope is absolutely correct in his observation that the cheap prop gun used in this very important scene with a main character of the most successful show in television DOESN'T have a functioning slide!! This was bad. Really bad, and totally avoidable mistake.

heck, I own a prop 1911 that shoots blanks (solid barrel) and has a functioning slide that ejects the brass. I'd have gladly lent it for this scene. These are not hard to get and the properties master should have had multiple available on set for a TV show of this magnitude.

16. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Found this. This pic shows thumbs along the left slide.

[​IMG]

17. Morgotha

The point being the slide moves backwards, thus stubbing Dwight's finger. Is there a semiauto that looks like Dwight's where the top half of the gun does NOT slide back?

18. hellbunny

hellbunny Member

This is the most fascinating thing I've read today.

19. Ron Lambert

Ron Lambert Member

This is the redneck trailer trash version of holding your gun sideways.
    [​IMG]

Dwight's grip on that gun would do jack shit for accuracy.

for anyone that actually wants to hold a gun properly this is the grip you want.

[​IMG]

20. br0k3n

br0k3n Member

Not necessarily - in the photo in which Dwight has achieved possibly the most ridiculous grip possible by mankind, the finger in question is his left index - or pointer - finger. Since he has it laying along the left slide, no harm should come to it. NO HARM will also come to whatever he intends to shoot LOL. IF DWIGHT HAD a part of his hand directly behind the slide, yes he's get cut. But it doesn't appear that is the case.

Not one that shoots bullets. His is a prop, and a bad one at that.